Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - whynotjust

Hi all,

After looking through many sites for answers to should i buy an mk3 Espace, ive decided that the only way to overcome the crazy-ness would be to fit a more reliable engine. My question is, would the likes of a transit TDI or banana engine fit in the bay?

Obviously i would need to replace all auxilaries, ECU, manufacture mounts & bracketry etc, but Espaces offer in my opinion the best over all package and they do look good.

If this is possible i would consider taking on the project, as if the engine fails it has to come out anyway so why not chuck in a recon'd one from a different make, which is more upto the job.

Any help/advice on this or even different engine options would be greatly appreciated.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - thunderbird

Do what your forum name suggests - whynotjust Forget it.

It would be a load of grief for no gain. The engine might theoretically be more reliable but the installation would be anything but.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Collos25

Have you really thought this through I think not,why not just get a vehicle that works and save a lot of heartache,expense and work.Apart from the almost impossible mechanical task have you thought how you will register,tax and insure it.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - madf

I take it you are a qualified electrical engineer, qualified motor mechanic and have the entire facilities of a car manfacturer to back you up plus teh off £100k to enable you to get approval for teh result to be taxed and MOT'd?

The fact you ask such a question says you know nothing about the pitfalls involved. Unless you have at least £20k to burn, forget it. Oh I forget, you can get a new car for that.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - whynotjust

ouch, thanks for pointing out the bits id missed. just thought it would be like building a kit car when dealing with legal side of things. my mistake, thanks anyway

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - gordonbennet

The OP only asked a question, this type of surgery could have been undertaken 25 years ago without too many problems, though RWD cars were the best for this type of conversion...and still are the best cars anyway..;)

So long as the engine fitted in the space and could be securely mounted, an adaptor kit of some sort made to connect the new engine to the gearbox...or fit complete engine and box, you only needed fuel exhaust cooling system ignition sorting and you were nearly there.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Peter.N.

I used to fit Perkins diesels into all manner of cars when they were all mechanical and the right way round, I wouldn't attempt a modern one.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Collos25

The OP only asked a question

And the answer was "no" so what was the point of your post .

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Andrew-T

The OP only asked a question

And the answer was "no" so what was the point of your post .

I might ask what the point was of yours, Collos - but I won't.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Peter.N.

Some people are more friendly than others.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - skidpan

During the past 25 years my "classic" has has three different types of engine in it. Done the changeover myself (not a trained mechanic) each time in a standard garage at home. But the car is a simple RWD design, (no fancy electronics, no canbus, no diagnostics, no catalyst etc) that originally dates back to the 50's and thus was really easy.

Would not want to attempt it with a FWD car.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - jc2

Virtually any engine/gearbox can be fitted into any car(but not necessarily in the original place)-if you have both time & money!!!!

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - Andrew-T

Virtually any engine/gearbox can be fitted into any car(but not necessarily in the original place)-if you have both time & money!!!!

Provided the space is bigger than the engine, of course .... :-)

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - RT

Provided the space is bigger than the engine, of course .... :-)

The Espace 3 had the PRV 3.0 V6 as an option so it may not be that cramped.

Renault Espace - Will a Transit engine fit into a Renault Espace - jc2

The space can be made BIGGER!