Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - skidpan

Hi

Back in June I commented on a thread that I had bought a new Seat Leon 1.4 TSI SE and another poster asked me to update the forum about the car when I had driven it more.

It was bought to replace a BMW 118D I bought new in 2008. Did about 37,500 miles in it and never had a problem other than a broken front spring, probably the run flats to blame for that. Averaged a genuine calculated 48 mpg over that time. I was a very happy BMW owner.

With the wife being temporarily retired we had no need for 2 diesels in the house thus a petrol was the engine of choice. A modern small turbo one was essential since I still wanted decent economy and a decent turn of speed when needed.

Considered another BMW but a 116i, too expensive and still cramped into the rear.

Considered a Volvo V40, nice finish but to cramped.

Considered a Focus 1.6 Turbo petrol, nothing wrong with it but simply did not excite me and mpg poor.

Considered a Golf TSi GT, very nice but more expensive than the BMW.

Wife has a Kia Ceed which we really like but the Ceed petrol was non-turbo and a slug unless you ragged it all the time. A GT version with turbo is on the horizon but I did not need 200+ bhp with the obvious extra costs.

Compared to these the Seat won in just about every category and was £5000 cheaper than the Golf with the same 1.4 TSI engine, result.

Purchased it via the broker Carfile. Excellent service. Dealer took BMW in PX and Leon was delivered 4 days after order, by some fluke he had exactly the car and colour I wanted in stock, not normally that lucky. Saved £1700 on the price to swap compared to best local deal.

Well I have had it for 10 weeks now and about 1800 miles. Obviously still early days but all my original feelings have been pretty much confirmed. Comfort wise its superb, the ride is way better than the 1 series, its quiet and there is much better internal space. In terms of finish I have no complaints but a couple of reviewers moaned about the quality of a storage flap lid!!!. No rattles so far. On the equipment front it has everything the BMW had and more. Hitting the options list was tempting (as always) but there was nothing that was going to improve my driving experience. If I had wanted more kit going up to the FR would have been a better idea but I simply did not feel the need. No need to visit a dealer yet, fingers crossed. The only extra bits I bought was the extended 5 year warranty (if bought at registration gave the same cover as the 3 year warranty) which was reasonable and the 3 year service plan which at under £11 a month was a big saving compared to paying annually.

As for performance it has surpassed my expectations. With 140 PS it really flies but with 184 lbs/ft of torque between 1500 and 3500 rpm overtaking in any gear is really simple, it actually betters most turbo diesels IMHO because of the rev limit. Floor it in 3 rd at 30 mph, pick up is instant and strong and you can go all the way to almost 90 if needed.

Economy, over the first 1700 miles the calculated consumption was a genuine 46 mpg. On a trip to the coast it did 52 mpg. But beware, the dash display lies, it indicates 4 mpg more than the truth. 46 mpg is way better than I expected, only 2 mpg short of the BMW diesel which in truth was not as quick. Factor in the cost of petrol being 4p a litre less and the difference is approx. 0.5 mpg short of the BMW diesel.

So in summary very happy. If the mpg goes up with the miles I will be even happier. Lets hope it gives 5 years trouble free service

Edited by skidpan on 19/08/2013 at 17:59

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - unthrottled

That really is a promising start.

The Japanese manufacturers are going to have to accept that naturally aspirated is not the way forward if they want to regain lost market share in Europe.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - Avant

Many thanks, Skidpan. Running reports, particularly ones as informative as this, are something a forum is ideal for, so I hope other people will spare avfew moinutes to do theirs.

It's a nice feeling, to have a car that fulfils your needs and also gives you some enjoyment, for a lower price than the obvious competition. I think the Leon may be the model that puts SEAT back on the map, and no longer the poor relation within VAG. You'd have to pay several thousands more for essentially the same car if you go for an A3 or Golf with the same 1.4 TSI engine. And I think the Leon's looks have improved with the latest model, and some may prefer its styling to the A3 or Golf.

Good choice.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - 2.0Tsi
Yeah I am seriously considering the Leon as a replacement for my Vrs, however not until they get the 2.0T engine in it.

The looks have got better and the interior is miles ahead of the last model. I am quite disappointed with the bland looks of the new Octavia Vrs however love the power AND economy of the VAG 2.0T engine it truly is an amazing balance for me.
Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - RicardoB

This is very interesting. As someone else said, it's good to see sensible genuine reviews.

About ten years ago, I had a Seat Toledo Mk2 (the one with the real boot based on original Leon) and was very pleased with it. But then I think Seat lost their way with the design of the next generation Leon/Altea and bizarre Toledo.

But the new current range looks a lot better so there must be hope for Seat. Always like slightly "off the wall" makes that "those in the know" understand, if you see what I mean.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - brum

Glad you enjoy your new motor, however.....Its very common on motoring forums for owners to give gushing reviews of their new motor after a few weeks. After all, what do you expect? Bought a car without any prior research? Not taken a test drive? Surprised that it didnt break down?

Honeymoons can last a few weeks sometimes they last up to 3 years.

See what you think after that - when you realise that the suspensions are all rusty and the alloy wheels are that corroded on to the hubs that getting them off is a real struggle and then find out that the oddball size tyres used by VAG are much more expensive than expected.

Glad you enjoy your new motor, however.....Its very common on motoring forums for owners to give gushing reviews of their new motor after a few weeks. After all, what do you expect? Bought a car without any prior research? Not taken a test drive? Surprised that it didnt break down?

Honeymoons can last a few weeks sometimes they last up to 3 years.

See what you think after that - when you realise that the suspensions are all rusty and the alloy wheels are that corroded on to the hubs that getting them off is a real struggle and then find out that the oddball size tyres used by VAG are much more expensive than expected.

I fully appreciate that things may change down the line and if they do I will be sure to personally update you to prove you right. In the meantime just take this post in the spirit intended, the new Leon is an exceptional car and certainly a match for anything in its class.

As for the "oddball tyre sizes used by VAG" I suggest that you do some research before typing such totally stupid comments. The 15" tyres on the S model are 195 65 15 91H, the 16" tyres are 205 55 16 91V and the 17" tyres are 225 45 17 91W. None of these are exactly oddball are they. The 17's are more expensive than the others at nearer £90 a corner mid range but the 16's and 15s can both be bought in mid -range brands for about £60 a corner. Hardly expensive.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - Ald

Well done Brum, Skidpan's enjoying his lovely new car all you can manage is negativity. Think positive Brum, you may start to feel good about yourself and others, life is too short for misery. Skidpan, enjoy your car and sod what others think!

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - thunderbird

Well done Brum, Skidpan's enjoying his lovely new car all you can manage is negativity. Think positive Brum, you may start to feel good about yourself and others, life is too short for misery. Skidpan, enjoy your car and sod what others think!

Brum was probably the type of kid who would smash other kids new toys because they were better than his. He has obviously never grown up.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - craig-pd130

Nice write-up, thanks.

What sort of driving mix do you do? 46mpg is an excellent return for a petrol turbo. They do look good, too.

Nice write-up, thanks.

What sort of driving mix do you do? 46mpg is an excellent return for a petrol turbo. They do look good, too.

My commute is a round trip of 29 miles 3 days a week, 50% urban 50% dual carraigeway. The rest of my normal weekly miles (about 50) is to the shops, to the parents and to the woods with the dog, not heavy urban traffic but its a bit stop start.

As I said above give it a nice steady run and the mpg is incredible. Just got back from a round trip to the mother in laws, 111 miles 1/2 on the motorway other 1/2 on urban roads with plenty of hills and bends, its in Yorkshire. Computer says 55.2 mpg for the trip but as I said above it lies, probably nearer 51mpg. On exactly the same trip the Mrs Ceed SW CRDi will do a genuine 56 mpg. Correct that for the price of fuel and the difference is not 5 mpg, its only 3.5 mpg.

Neither of us drive for economy, we just drive.

When the Ceed SW comes up for a swap the new Octavia Estate with the same 1.4 TSi engine is at the top of my list providing Skoda have addressed the issues that stopped us buying the Octavia when we bought the Ceed. After 17 years of loving turbo diesels this engine is making me rethink my pro diesel stance.

Just got back from a round trip to the mother in laws, 111 miles 1/2 on the motorway other 1/2 on urban roads with plenty of hills and bends

The ceed SW and even the BMW are bigger and porkier cars than the Leon. in addition the BMW has a lossy RWD system. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

The ceed SW and even the BMW are bigger and porkier cars than the Leon. in addition the BMW has a lossy RWD system. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

The Ceed hatch and BMW 1 series are considered to be in the same class as the new Leon and Golf etc. The SW Ceed has a bigger boot but passenger space is the same as are all the mechanical bits.

Check the external dimensions and you will see that all 3 cars (in hatch format) are virtually identical. But internal space in the BMW is seriously poor compared to the others, never bothered us really since we noticed it when we bought it.

Yes the BMW is RWD but I have always been taught that a simple RWD set up is way more efficient than a typical (and complex by comparrison) FWD set up.

The new Leon (and all the cars based on the new VAG platform) are lighter than most of their competitors and the superceeded models.Surely you cannot critisise a manufacturer for saving weight and hopefully improving efficiency compared to the opposition.

The Ceed SW and the BMW are ~450lb heavier than the Leon. That's the equivalent of 3 passengers. That's going to make a noticeable difference in the economy especially for your sort of driving cycle. 7500 miles p.a. was never diesel's forte either.

Yes the BMW is RWD but I have always been taught that a simple RWD set up is way more efficient than a typical (and complex by comparrison) FWD set up.

How so? RWD has a heavy propshaft which is at 90 degrees to the drive shafts.

Surely you cannot critisise a manufacturer for saving weight and hopefully improving efficiency compared to the opposition.

Quite the contrary. But we must take this into account when comparing powertrains!

After 17 years of loving turbo diesels this engine is making me rethink my pro diesel stance.

Interesting, thanks for the information. I'll have to do some calculations for my next company car.

10+ years ago I had a Volvo V40 light-pressure turbo which had similar engine characteristics to what you've described -- it would pull strongly from 1500 to 5000+rpm and was surprisingly quick. However, the best it ever gave me was 34mpg :-/

Interesting, thanks for the information. I'll have to do some calculations for my next company car.

10+ years ago I had a Volvo V40 light-pressure turbo which had similar engine characteristics to what you've described -- it would pull strongly from 1500 to 5000+rpm and was surprisingly quick. However, the best it ever gave me was 34mpg :-/

For the record its 119 CO2's and falls into the 15% tax bracket. The Leon diesel with the nearest PS rating is 106 CO2's and falls into the 16% tax bracket. For a 20% tax payer the TSI 140 PS like mine is £44 a month, the diesel is £52 a month. But a high mileage company car user would still find the savings from the diesel were worth while IMHO.

But for private buyers like me doing 7500 miles a year the £2000 extra for the diesel simply did not add up. Quick calcs before I bought based on 42mpg in the petrol and 52 mpg in the diesel indicated a break even mileage over 70,000, at 46 mpg it would be nearer 100,000 miles.

Always loved the idea of light pressure turbo's but the reality never appeared to meet the promise, until now hopefully.

For the record its 119 CO2's and falls into the 15% tax bracket. The Leon diesel with the nearest PS rating is 106 CO2's and falls into the 16% tax bracket. For a 20% tax payer the TSI 140 PS like mine is £44 a month, the diesel is £52 a month. But a high mileage company car user would still find the savings from the diesel were worth while IMHO.

Thanks again -- I'll have to dive into the various BIK tax calculations :)

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - Andrew-T

And have you calibrated the odometer - I mean does it measure miles accurately? I think most modern cars do, but some older ones could over-read by up to 4%.

And have you calibrated the odometer - I mean does it measure miles accurately? I think most modern cars do, but some older ones could over-read by up to 4%.

Yes I have with my Garmin Sat Nav. I have checked this with the motorway markers and AA Autoroute distances and its spot on.

On a recent trip to the coast the Garmin read 249 miles, the Leon odometer read 251.4 miles, an error of less than 1%, the spreadsheet I enter my fuel on takes this into account. Compared to other cars we own or have owned in the past its pretty accurate. The odometer in the wifes Ceed actually under reads by almost 3.5% and a Golf we had overead by over 5%. Can make a huge difference to mpg comparisons and if you don't apply the error to your calculations it can make a mockery of the Honest John MPG figures.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - RT

In my experience, odometers have been fairly accurate for decades despite speedometers being fairly inaccurate by over-reading - this is despite both devices taking their distance input from the same source.

My Vauxhalls were and my Hyundai is with 1% on the odometer but about 5% fast on the speedometer.

In the USA, Subaru lost a class lawsuit over odometer inaccuracy as it was being used as cutoff in their 100,000 mile warranty - which turned out to be fewer real miles - owners were compensated for loss of the warranty.

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - Andrew-T

In the USA, Subaru lost a class lawsuit over odometer inaccuracy as it was being used as cutoff in their 100,000 mile warranty - which turned out to be fewer real miles - owners were compensated for loss of the warranty.

That's an interesting one - does a car's warranty apply until reaching an odometer reading, or a geographical distance? I suppose that argument would at least defeat the possibility of endless warranty claims caused by clocking?

Seat Leon 1.4 TSI - First 10 weeks. - Car

The 1.4 TSI seems a good engine to replac my 1.9 PD TDI at somepoint in the future, shame that if you want an automatic which I do want next time it comes with DSG box.