Vauxhall Astravan 2003, 1.7 dti envoy - Struggling to start - Eazygeezer

My astravan has for the past few months become progressively more difficult to start, I knew that the glow plugs had done over 100k so decided to change them. This did not resolve the problem.

I also recently had the timing belt done which appeared to have made the problem even more pronounced (could this be a timing issue?) no engine management lights were coming on so I took it to a garage for a diagnostic check. The guy said everything was clear but he said after an inspection that it was 3 possible faults.

1> the injectors, which I have had replaced (fault is now even worse!)

2> fuel pump ecu

3> fuel pump

Ive just shelled out a few hundred quid for the injectors.

The battery is sound, the starter motor seems to be sound, Ive recently serviced the car changing oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter etc.

Any ideas what else it could be? I don't want to throw good money after bad, its already cost me nearly a grand and Im thinking i might as well put any more money to another motor

thanks

Lee

Vauxhall Astravan 2003, 1.7 dti envoy - Struggling to start - Peter.N.

Could be that you are getting air in the system, don't know the Vauxhall engine, does it have an in tank fuel pump, if so this could be failing. I had this problem with an Hdi engine and it was due tp a worn HP diesel pump, it was worse to start when hot. If the rail pressure doesn't get high enough the ECU won't open the injectors - assuming yours is common rail.

Vauxhall Astravan 2003, 1.7 dti envoy - Struggling to start - Eazygeezer

Hi,

no it is not common rail but after discussion I believe that there is a fuel pump in the tank as well. Not sure how difficult it is to get to though...... or how costly to repair/replace

Vauxhall Astravan 2003, 1.7 dti envoy - Struggling to start - dieselnut

Although you've changed the glow plugs, have you checked that they are getting any voltage. Check the voltage with a meter immediately after turning the ignition to the glow position. They only stay energised for a few seconds.

Also worth checking the valve clearances. If they are tight it will be loosing compression so not getting enough heat into the cylinders.