Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - archie46

Hi. Have just bought the above fitted with, continental sport contact 2 tyres. The car has only done, 6.5k, but the tyres are extremely noisy, spoiling what is an excellent motor. The tyre pressures are right, and i can tell an immediate difference when driving on smooth tarmac. Is this normal for these tyres, or is it normal for this car if they were fitted with an alternative?

Many thanks.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - gordonbennet

You can get quieter tyres when a change is due (i have and better ride too), Nokian Z is reputed to be quiet (and every bit as high quality as your present fitment) and there are other alternatives but to be fair your tyres are very very good quality so would be a pity to change.

I have effectively reduced tyre roar on several modern vehicles with extra soundproofing, some modern cars are poorly soundproofed in the areas of the boot and particularly the rear wheelarches, behind the plastic trim you may well find only the bare metal of the wheelarch, boot floor and side panels may be similarly skimped.

You might get better results by purchasing some self adhesive car sound insulation pads and making a better job than the maker did of these areas which wouldn't be difficult in many cases, worth checking under floor and the front wheelarches for insulation or lack of it but nearly always the rear wheelarch and boot area where most of the racket is coming from.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - bazza

I have recently purchased a 58 reg 1.9 estate and there is plenty of scope to reduce road noise in the rear boot and well. I put a new set of Khumos on as the set of Dunlops it came with had worn on the inner edges ( a very common problem on Golf floorpan) and were resonating badly. The new set is much quieter as expected, for how long I don't know, a previous set of Khumos went to 20000 on the front of my last tdi.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - a303

If the tracking isn't set up right, Octavias wear their tyres unevenly (try googling "sawtoothing"). This makes things very noisy - often described as sounding like a wheel bearing going.

This usually affects the rear tyres, and the inner shoulder in particular. There's an easy test - run your hand around the circumference in both directions - if if feels smooth one way and rough the other then that's what's going on. It'll be very obvious if you take a wheel off, too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply. Have come to the conclusion it's mainly the tyres, but will have to grin and bear it untill they need changing. The noise ratings on all new tyres is not as straight forward as i thought, as it is measured from the outside, which rather defeats the answer i'm after, but probably does give some indication of noise levels inside. The quietest i've sourced so far are Dunlops at 65db. Do you know where i can buy the sound deadening kit you suggested?, e-bay is my first thought, but having never had to resort to these measures in 45yrs of motoring, i'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start first. Anyway, many thanks for your input. Bill

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - gordonbennet

Do you know where i can buy the sound deadening kit you suggested?, e-bay is my first thought, but having never had to resort to these measures in 45yrs of motoring, i'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start first.

Try ebay number 271237601866

Almost certain this is the supplier i bought from previously, thicknesses vary, useful stuff easy to cut and easy to apply being self adhesive.

If you strip back the trim in the sections mentioned and do a good job of proofing you might not need the tyre change at all.

Tyres as they have become harder and wider with increasingly lower aspect ratios have got progressively louder, 6 axle lorries makes less tyre roar than some modern cars fitted with low profiles now...stand beside your car in the layby of a busy dual carriageway and take note...i too have removed half worn tyres and replaced with others as i simply couldn't stand the noise and crashing ride whcih accompanied.

65db is very low, the tyres now on my car are rated at 71db and they are quiet enough for me, but it must be said that some tread patterns and materials whilst giving quiet service do not grip as well as some noisy tyres in the wet, i suppose there's going to be a certain trade off, careful research is needed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/08/2013 at 19:27

Thanks gordonbennett, will try sound deadening first, then progress to tyres after, if req'd.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - Cyd

Yeah, my Saab 9-3 Aero came with Sport Contact 2s as well. In fact these are OE fit.

I've had Goodyear Eagle before on a Rover Turbo (and made the mistake of changing them for Toyos), so I've just had a set of standard load Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s fitted to my Saab.

I can report that the car is now almost totally silent on just about any good tarmac right into 3 figure speeds. It's even fairly quiet on the concrete section of the A50 near Utoxeter, when there was a right old cacophony going on with the Contis.

I can thorougly recommend them.

Size is 235/45R17. I went for standard load rather than XL deliberately to get the slightly softer sidewall.. This strategy has improved the ride comfort no end. I have lost a small amount of steering precision, but on our rough roads these days it's a worthwhile trade off. I drove through rain like stair rods a few days ago - solid as a rock!!

Edit: Oh, and they have a seriously chunky rim protector built in - very welcome as I've just spent out having my wheels refurbed to black.

Edited by Cyd{P} on 07/08/2013 at 22:03

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - nortones2

IIRC German roads are glassy smooth: quiet but slippery. It seems our road engineers prefer limestone to add rugosity and grip. Or maybe it's just cheaper?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - Mike H

I've only been in one Octavia (estate, c. 2011) and it was a perfectly decent car, but the thing that spoilt it for me, and ruled it out as a potential purchase, was - the road noise. It was fitted with tyres that proclaimed they were "low noise" (can't remember the make). I would say that it's probably a "characteristic" of the car and not inherently a tyre problem. Having said that, Contis are in my experience nearly always noisy, and an alternative make *might* help.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - brum

Skoda is VAG's "value brand" (budget to you and me).

In recent years, VAG has made sure it doesnt tread on its other brand's toes by deliberate omission of sound deading material amongst other things. Hence the awful road noise in some of their models.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - skidpan

Two things.

When we bought the wifes last car we test drove an Octavia. Even on smooth tarmac it was painfully noisy, wife woud have done a U turn on the motorway if it had been legal to take it back. We tried another, it was better but still noisy. First car was on Dunlops, second on Bridgestones.

Secondly, we had a Fous on Continetal Sport Contact 2, it was very noisy, always had been. Replaced tyres with Kumho KU31 (I think). Like a different car.

So in my experience the Octavia is a noisy car and the Continental a noisy tyre. You unfortunately have the worst possible combination.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - Cyd

Not sure I made it clear above, but I found the Contis to be noisy on my Saab. I thought it was the car for a while, but the Goodyears have transformed the car. It's like driving a completely different car. It was defo the tyres!

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Tyre noise - rogerzilla

There is a known problem on Octaviias - especially estates - with camber not always being set correctly at the factory and this causes the sawtoothing. If the car is under warranty the dealer will check and adjust the camber for free - although you may be charged for the check if it is within spec.

The dealer will not pay for the new set of rear tyres which you'll need before the check is carried out. It's not possible to get an accurate measurement with tyres that have already been damaged in this way.

FWIW, our dealer advised us to avoid Dunlop tyres (the OEM ones). We went for Toyo Proxes CF1 which I've found to be a good tyre on that sort of car.