Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - borderman44

anyone know what to buy i am looking for a est car that will give good fuel figures around the high 40-50 around town and low repair costs i don't want anything that is prone to failer with know faults that can fail and and naff the engine up i am looking to pay up to £6000 .

i took the astra 1.7 cdti est ecoflex out yesterday and did not find much diffrence in the fuel figures that my corsa 1.7 cdti is giving .what so good about ecoflex if it can't return more fuel figures that the corsa .

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Cyd

The Astra is a larger heavier car than the Corsa, so how can you expect it to be more economic on the same engine?

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - focussed

You mentioned the 1.3 cdti 16 valve engine in the title of your post. Do not touch any vehicle, Vauxhall, Fiat, Suzuki or anything else fitted with one of these with a bargepole, yours or anybody elses - a nasty little engine prone to faults and failures at any time.

The 1.7 is reputed to be pretty reliable AFAIK.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Collos25

Can you back this up with facts, the 1.3 cdti engine is used in many cars without any problem whatsoever the 1.7 is a more powerful engine thats for sure but its horses for courses.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Peter.N.

I would spend a lot less and go for a Peugeot 406 2.0. Hdi, its a nice car especially if you get the GXL, its capable of 60 mpg driven gently and the engines are almost bombproof, I have two of these engines one in a 406 the other in a C5 they have both done around 200,000 miles and are mostly original. They were made until about 04 any diesel after that has DPF and a raft of other emmision systems to go wrong.

The peugeot 8 valve engine is the simplest and most reliable of any modern common rail unit.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Collos25

Could not agree more.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Andrew-T

They were made until about 04 - any diesel after that has DPF and a raft of other emmision systems to go wrong.

The peugeot 8 valve engine is the simplest and most reliable of any modern common rail unit.

My 207 (early 2008) has the 1.6 HDI engine - the 90bhp version has no DPF, but I think the 110bhp does. The Pug salesman said when I bought the car I was better off without one. It has given me 60mpg, and no trouble whatever.

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/08/2013 at 15:42

407 hdi after 2004 all of which have DPF and Eloy tanks 207 hdi is a completely different car or have you not noticed plus a 2008 207 is slightly smaller than a 406 to say the least.Talk about apples and pears.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Andrew-T

407 hdi after 2004 all of which have DPF and Eloy tanks 207 hdi is a completely different car or have you not noticed plus a 2008 207 is slightly smaller than a 406 to say the least. Talk about apples and pears.

Of course I've ****** noticed. I was merely responding to the statement that 'any diesel after 2004 has DPF' - some don't.

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/08/2013 at 00:26

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - focussed

Can you back this up with facts, the 1.3 cdti engine is used in many cars without any problem whatsoever the 1.7 is a more powerful engine thats for sure but its horses for courses.

I was unfortunate enough to own and run one to 50 k miles - it was a piece of s***e from start to finish when I could afford to get rid of it.

Can you back up your statement that it is used in many cars without any problem whatsoever?

Everybody that I know who has had one had major problems, timing chains, oil pumps, electronics, injectors, engine rebuilds at low mileages etc.

They have made nearly 5 million of these engines I stand by original statement as matter of interest how many people do you actually know who own a vehicle with this engine and have serviced their cars or vans properly, I think its another old wifes tale you are repeating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine

Edited by Collos25 on 05/08/2013 at 23:13

They have made nearly 5 million of these engines I stand by original statement as matter of interest how many people do you actually know who own a vehicle with this engine and have serviced their cars or vans properly, I think its another old wifes tale you are repeating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine

"I think its another old wifes tale you are repeating."

And I think you have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about. Have you ever owned one? Or are you just repeating the usual marketing garbage.

Vauxhall/Opel Astra 1.3CDTi 16v ( 90ps ) 2007 - i need an est anyone recommend a decent one - Lakesidecars

I was pesimistic regarding the 1.3 diesel Cdti in the astra, but having had one come through our garage that had just over a hundred thousand on the clock previously a fleet van and well looked after, my partner borrowed it to move some things and hasnt given ot back nearly a year later now with 116k miles and two services of course.

She handed me back the keys to her Jag she was driving and proclaimed she actually prefered the Van, Not something we share an opinion on though.

But all this is to say it has returned a steady 60 mpg plus and thus far been bullet proof.

Its also amazingly lively for such a tiny motor.

I share sentiment with the other poster, as much as you look after your own car, if you buy it used and the guy before you abused it or lacked in competent regular servicing, theres a chance you'll pay for it.