Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - anna1986penny
I am selling my car and a guy from Ireland (not sure what part) has txted and then after my reply emailed me asking if its still for sale. He asked me what the best price was and asked me to send more photos which I did and I did not budge on my asking price. He emailed back to say he thought the price was reasonable and would like to buy the car and pay through PayPal he would then get the car shipped to Ireland at his own cost. He also said he wanted the car as its his sons birthday in a few weeks and would like to get it for him and the others that he has seen have all had something wrong with them or had been in an accident. I am selling a 2008 Toyota Yaris d4d SR Nav. Has anybody heard of a scam of this form? I've read that the scam usually involves a cheque but thiis guy is willing to use PayPal? I am a trusting person so want to believe this man is genuine but on the same hand I do not want to be scammed. Any advice would be much appreciated :)
Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - Cyd

The "chargeback" scam.

Ask for bank transfer (BACS). Bet he mysteriously disappears!

Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - tony g
Don't use PayPal,its possible for a buyer to recover the money from your account .
You should only agree the deal using a bacs transfer ,it's ok to give your
account ,sort ,and iban number to the buyer .

When you see the money in your account ask the bank to confirm that the money cannot be recovered by the sender .

As in a previous post ,you may find its a fraud and you won't hear from the buyer again .

However I've sold cars abroad several times using the bacs system successfully .
Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - motorprop

You might find that ' yer man ' is from County Lagos...

also Paypal charges about 4% in fees

as others have stated , BACS only, then if you can transfer their proceeds to another bank to ensure non returnable or draw the cash physically, and give it 2-3 days to stew.

Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - almera1.4GX

It looks like a scam to me to be honest.

I'm from Ireland & living in Dublin, and without causing offence to you I don't know why anyone from Ireland would buy a small sized car in the UK with exchange rates as they are, plus our vehicle registration tax is quite high. Normally Irish people buy higher powered diesel models with high spec in the UK as we normally don't get them here. Although I could stand corrected but I'm sure theirs a good supply of second hand Yaris's in Ireland.

If it's too good to be true, well it probaly is.

Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - bananastand

Indeed, personal direct experience AND anecdotal evidence tells me that paypal will always side with the purchaser in a dispute. You will then be in a world of horror. Avoid.

Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - anna1986penny
Hi thanks for your reply, this is what I was thinking. There is nothing particularly special about our car so I was surprised when he said he couldn't find one of our model.

Think I will be staying clear of this.

Thanks again
Toyota yaris - Selling a car to a guy in Ireland - hillman

"Think I will be staying clear of this. "

Very sensibly, too.