V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - car67

Does anyone have experience of this? I purchased a second hand car in October (yes, I know - I am kicking myself for not realising the V5 didn't come through and chasing it up then....) but, the tax has just expired. I didint' receive a reminder from the DVLA, but I can check on their website for free that yes, it's just expired too (as per tax disc on car)

I've contacted the dealer first and foremost to see what they can say about it.......

I have been checking my giant drawers of un-filed paperwork just in case....

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - Andrew-T

If you have had nothing from DVLA, either they don't think you are the registered keeper, or the form has gone to some other address. A renewal reminder usually arrives a few weeks ahead. I guess a reputable dealer will have sent the paperwork to DVLA when you completed your purchase, so better ask them what they did.

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - Collos25

I believe in the UK its up to the buyer not the seller to send the paperwork in regarding new ownership its also an offence with a substancial fine for not doing so.

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - bathtub tom

I believe in the UK its up to the buyer not the seller to send the paperwork in regarding new ownership its also an offence with a substancial fine for not doing so.

Not so. The buyer is given a small piece of the V5 and the seller sends the rest off.

If you get rid of a car, you don't want to be liable for any subsequent penalties it may accrue!

The OP has sat on his backside let the tax expire and wants everybody to do thinks for him,surely he is liable for the tax if not a SORN certificate there is no problem taxing a car without a logbook sounds as though the OP is just lazy.

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - FP

"The OP has sat on his backside let the tax expire and wants everybody to do thinks for him,surely he is liable for the tax..."

I have no idea where this comes from and it sounds petulant, to say the least. The OP hasn't asked anyone to do anything for him - he just says he'll contact the dealer. That seems a sensible first step. He doesn't seem to want to avoid paying VED.

He should have chased the matter when he didn't get the V5, but it wasn't his responsibility to get the transfer of keeper organised - see my post below.

Not so. The buyer is given a small piece of the V5 and the seller sends the rest off.

If you get rid of a car, you don't want to be liable for any subsequent penalties it may accrue!

Not true,

"You’ll need to ensure the appropriate parts of the logbook are completed and sent to the DVLA. You should retain the new keeper’s part of the document as this is your proof of ownership until the new, updated document is posted to you"

The onus is on the buyer not the seller and so are the fines..

Sorry, Collos. If you ever sell a car in the UK, you really must know what to do. You don't seem to, and are in no position to offer advice.

I don't know what words you're quoting, but if you look at a V5 it's perfectly clear.

The buyer keeps the tear-off slip with the green border, called Section 10. He should also ensure Section 6 (details of new keeper) is correctly filled in.

The registered keeper (i.e. the seller of the car, who will remain the registered keeper until the DVLA make the transfer), must send Sections 1 to 8 (which means the first sheet of the document) to the DVLA. (Taken from the wording on the back of Section 10.)

If you read Section 12 it says the same thing.

Clearly, the onus is on the seller to inform the DVLA.

Edited by FP on 04/07/2013 at 16:39

My info comes from the DVLA the onus if the new Log book and to make sure all the details are filled in are down to the buyer I suggest you read a little more carefully .The onus on the seller is to tell the DVLA he has sold the vehicle thats all, I suggest you talk to the DVLA instead of using presumption and your own interpretation.

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - bathtub tom

Collos25.

Stop digging and throw the shovel away.

"...the onus if the new Log book and to make sure all the details are filled in are down to the buyer..." (sic)

Are you suggesting the buyer is required to make any communication at all with the DVLA? Quite clearly the V5, which has to be sent in by the seller, is the means by which registration is transferred. The buyer supplies the information to the seller at the point of sale and receives a slip. That's the end of his involvement.

"I suggest you talk to the DVLA instead of using presumption and your own interpretation." Don't be silly. I can read and understand the wording of the V5 - it's not exactly like cracking Enigma.

Have you ever actually sold a car in the UK? I have - a few weeks ago.

Edited by FP on 05/07/2013 at 16:12

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - Doc
Telling DVLA if you sell your vehicle

If you sell or transfer your vehicle you must tell DVLA straight away using the V5C registration certificate.

You and the buyer must follow the procedures correctly or you could still be liable for the vehicle.

Telling DVLA if you have your V5C registration certificate

If you have a registration certificate:

1. Complete section 6 on the V5C.

2. Sign section 8 on the V5C.

3. Get the buyer to also sign section 8 on the V5C.

4. Give the buyer the completed V5C/2 section.

5. Send the V5C to DVLA , Swansea, SA99 1BA.

If you don’t have your V5C registration certificate

If you don’t have a V5C registration certificate write to DVLA , Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:

• vehicle registration mark
  • make and model
  • exact date of sale
  • name and address of the new keeper
  • your signature

Make sure the new keeper sends DVLA a completed V62 form to apply for a new registration certificate. Otherwise the police could still contact you if they need to make enquiries about the vehicle.

Once DVLA have updated their records you’ll get a letter within 4 weeks confirming that you’re not liable for the vehicle any more.

Seems clear to me!

Edited by Doc on 05/07/2013 at 17:59

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - Andrew-T

Of course a dealer selling a car is quite likely not its registered keeper. If no-one has informed DVLA of the sale, the previous owner may have received the renewal notice, and if the car was traded in it could have trickled through several hands before reaching that selling dealer. Not easy to trace?

V5 - never received :( Now car tax has expired! - car67

HI all - thanks for your input :D

It turns out the dealer advised me that they had held photocopies of all relevant docs in their possession and that I had to go into my local DVLA office.

When I got to the DVLA office they had advised that my car was still showing as 'registered to the motor trade' - showing that either 1) any documents that HAD been sent in, had not been received, or 2) No documents were actually sent in, or 3) some kind of oversight. I explained to the DVLA staff that my dealer said that they had photocopies etc - but this seemingly wasn't anything that they could have used for any purpose (meaning I still had to pay to apply for the vehicle registration V5 document). They did say that if I had contacted them within 3 months - they would have issued a V5 free of charge, but since time had passed the charge had to be paid.

I was asked if I had the green transfer of owner slip - which I did not.

They were very sympathetic to my case, and advised that this is actually a common complaint. Also, that instead of me having to pay for the £25 to obtain a V5 registration document - I should go back to my dealer and request a reimbursement, since it was deemed their fault for not having submitted the required documents.

Having never been in this situation before, and as a law abiding citizen - I paid my £25 and the tax for the coming year. All I had to prove my ownership of the vehicle was my Insurance certificate, and the previous tax discs that were on the car.

I should be in receipt of a V5 for my car within the next 4-8 weeks.

"...I should go back to my dealer and request a reimbursement, since it was deemed their fault for not having submitted the required documents."

Exactly.