people who think they have a driving license - g-man stockport

hi, all.

I was driving up the M6 motorway near Warrington ( last Saturday 23/6/2013 ) when I was pulled over by the Chester police and informed my van had no M.O.T ( out by two day’s )

after being given an 60£ fine the officer p.n.c’ed my driving license, tilling me it had been revoked in 2000. After having my van seized there and then, the police officer must have felt a little sorry for me offering to phone the DVLA for me as I sat in the back of his police car saying it must be a mistake and there was no way I had been driving for the last thirteen year’s with no driving license.

The DVLA said they had no records of why they had revoked my license in 2000, only that they had ? they did gave me a phone number to ring once I had got home, however after phone them later that day they still could not tell me why they had revoked it.

After going in to Macclesfield police station, a couple of days later to pick my van up ( with a named driver on my insurance cost 350£ ) one of there officer did a couple of checks and they too were unable to tell me why they had revoked my license.

Has I have not move house being at the same address for the last thirty years, surly they can’t say they write to me a couple of times, if they did would they keep a copy of the letter, apparently not ? Always having insurance, and tax, having a clean license for the last twenty three years, they just didn’t want to know !

Being told the DVLA can just do that to me was an shock and up to now it has cost me over a thousand pounds being self-employed, paying £190 to get my van back having to hire a driver to ferry me around until I get my license back ( up to three weeks ) I’ve been told by the DVLA.

All in all I can see this costing me two to three thousand pound before it all over, plus the incest cost of my van insurance over the next couple of years, as my insurance company have already told me it will go up over this matter

To make matter worse the police have told me I well be summons to court for driving my van without a license,

I am thinking of taking legal advice but at this stage not sure how mush that is going to cost me or just let the DVLA, our so called British legal system have me over for trying to make a living L

I thank my advice to anyone out there at the moment in time is phone the DVLA every year, say just before your insurance is dew for renewal and ask if you still have a driving license, has I’m sure a lot of you don’t and you never new you didn’t

people who think they have a driving license - martint123

These are the times to see if your MP is any good at his job of representing his/her constituents.

people who think they have a driving license - Dwight Van Driver

Two reasons why they revoke a Licence:

1. In 2000 did you commit an offence attracting points. In this case Licence has to be surrendered for these to be added to Lic. If Licence was not handed in/or Court Office failing to advice DVLA that points added then DVLA can revoke. Understand they write before doing so.,

2. Medical issues - until such time as driver satisfies DVLA of fitness to drive.

How can they take action for DL breach if they cannot state a reason or have a record why it was revoked?. Surely if no record then Licence valid?

You need to push this to a conclusion and if DVLA records wrong then consider your options in a small claims court.

This is cracker - keep the post updated.

dvd

.......just another thought.

If you hold a photocard Licence did you comply with the ten year renewal requirement?

dvd

people who think they have a driving license - RT

.......just another thought.

If you hold a photocard Licence did you comply with the ten year renewal requirement?

dvd

Not relevant if the licence was revoked in 2000 - the 10-year photocard licences didn't start until 1998 so the first to expire were in 2008.

But of course if the OP reached 70 on an old green or pink paper licence, then failure to renew would result in revocation.

Or the OP reached 70 and didn't renew the C1 entitlement by making a medical declaration and can no longer drive vans from 3501-7500kg.

Edited by RT on 01/07/2013 at 10:22

people who think they have a driving license - Bromptonaut

My initial advice to the OP would be to keep focussed on the issues and the outcome you want. Don't let yourself get drawn into any idea that this is more than, at worst, a cock up.

As DVD says usual reason to revoke a license is either failure to surrender for endorsement or medical issues. Is there anything in your past around 1999/2000 that would engage either of those?

If DVLA continue to be unable to advise reason then invoke their complaints procedure and pursue it vigorously.

Somebody else suggested involving your MP - good plan. As a serving Civil Servant I can tell you that MP correspondence focusses minds extremely well.

An elderly friend of mine has had his licence revoked by DVLA "on medical grounds" with no more information than that - they won't disclose who has said what about him and both his GP and consultant deny they've even informed DVLA.

He has two issues - how can he appeal a medical revocation if no-one will disclose the medical conditions allegedly causing the revocation - and more importantly does he have a medical condition that HE's not aware of.

Possibly like the OP's case, DVLA can still be as incompetent as ever.

RT Tell him to read and comply with this

https://www.gov.uk/reapply-driving-licence-medical-condition

Its tennis season so put the ball back in their court.......

dvd

Thanks DVD, I'll pass that on - although I think he's more concerned to find out what's wrong with him !!

paper one date 20/11/1978 to 20/11/2026

will keep you all up to date with any new's, but could be six week's or more before a get a court date

people who think they have a driving license - James Brown

Hi,the information is nice that you have shared.Thanks to all of you.