Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
Am going to look at a New Yaris Hybrid tomorrow, I like the idea of a hybrid and would appreciate the reliability of a Toyota! We currently have a 2010 Doblo which isn't proving to be very reliable, or economical (is the 1.4 petrol and does around 30mpg).

We are only a small family, wife, seven year old and 2 dogs. A big question will be whether the dogs will fit in the boot. They have rather been spoilt with Doblo boot, but rarely go in the car anyway. As a family we have occasionally used the space of the Doblo but not often and really want something smaller and cheaper to run.

The Doblo has had suspension issues front and back, has just failed the MOT with a frayed seatbelt and I am not confident that it will be reliable now that the warranty is about to expire!

0% finance on the Yaris and Auris Hybrids at the moment, might even get a fiver for the Doblo! Any thoughts on Yaris Hybrid? Or the Auris Hybrid (which I gather HJ is rather fond of!). Thoughts on long term reliability of the Doblo (no laughing at the back!)? Will update tomorrow!

Edited by johnnyrev on 24/06/2013 at 17:43

Yaris Hybrid - Collos25

Do not buy one on the presumption its super economical because as soon as you take it outside of town its consumption rises there are more economical cars with zero VED about .How long it will last or how well built it is anones guess I had a New Prius it was the most horrible car I have ever driven and I have had hundreds, now I have retired I have bought a new VW Blue motion zero VED petrol and economical wherever you use it..

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
I'll be happy if it gets near 50mpg after the 30mpg of the Doblo. I do mainly urban driving around North Birmingham, very rarely on the motorway, perhaps half a dozen times a year. I am a parish priest so mainly driving around the parish and off to the crem!

I recently drove a Prius and liked the relaxed style of driving, which suited me well. Other half would prefer an auto as well. And 5 year warranty is quite appealing too!
Yaris Hybrid - pork_pie

The Yaris hybrids are quite small and pricey (about 18k for the top of the range model with cruise control) The boot will certainly not be spacious enough for 2 dogs.

My father has just acquired a 61 plate Auris Hybrid for about 12k. I test drove it around the city and out on the open road and got about 65mpg.

There should be plenty of such hybrid examples on the forecourts.

Yaris Hybrid - craig-pd130

In terms of reliability, the Prius was the UK's 2nd most reliable car in the Driver Power 2010 Index. The hybrid powertrain seems to be well sorted and Toyota has a good reliability reputation generally.

If you've driven a Prius and liked it, you'll probably like the Yaris. As others have said, an Auris hybrid is bigger.

Yaris Hybrid - pork_pie

Funnily enough I have owned a Yaris and it was very nice.

However i would prefer more space and would choose the Auris.

If you wanted a Yaris sized car but with added flexibility, you could have a look at the Honda Jazz Hybrid (despite it not being tax free)

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
My Dad has a Jazz, I think his third, and they are spacious. I'm not sure i can bring myself to have the same car as my 70 year old Dad, no offence to all the 70 year olds with Honda Jazz's! Although I remember my Dad and Grandad having the same car when I was about 7, the same age as my son.

In 1981/2 they both had a new Vauxhall Cavalier, Grandad's was a GLS I think (not quite an SRi) in white and my Dad's was a lowly L in green.

Grandad was replacing a dark blue Hillman Super Minx saloon which he owned since new and was still immaculate. Dad was replacing a beige Maxi 2. Grandad nearly replaced his Cavalier with a Fiat Uno a couple of years later whilst my Dad went on to have lots of VW's (Passat estate, Jetta, Golf) because we lived near a dealer!

Maybe it's my destiny to have the same car as my Dad......

Edited by johnnyrev on 24/06/2013 at 19:22

Yaris Hybrid - unthrottled

Maybe it's my destiny to have the same car as my Dad......

It's a great idea to have the same car as your dad because your dad's Haynes manual and any fluids in the garage are compatible with your car so you don't need to buy them!

Yaris Hybrid - Avant

A hybrid is in its element for parish duties: I think the Auris would be a better bet for your family (and perhaps for taking three fat old parishioners to the Deanery Synod!). Try a Jazz but beware of the semi-automatic i-Shift that they fitted to Jazzes for a few years up to I think about two years ago. You should be able to run to a Jazz with CVT if you prefer it. There's a Jazz hybrid but it may be beyone your budget as it came out fairly recently.

Test drive Jazz and Auris and see how they suit you.

Yaris Hybrid - madf

I test drove a Yaris hybrid extensivley. The poor boot space, lack of ease of lowering the rear seat and the racket at 60pmh put me off.

I bought a Jazz CVT petrol instead: far more practical and user friendly...imo.

As for the claimed Yaris fuel economy, unachievable round here due to hills.

Edited by madf on 26/06/2013 at 14:00

Yaris Hybrid - Ethan Edwards

I own a 62 plate one.

Unless your dogs are Chihuahoa's -fuggedaboutit. Boot space utterly insufficient for dogs. I have the T Spirit one and it really drives nice, seems very well built, cabin is a nice place to be. Touch n go stereo is a gem. Very like the Nissan Ntec kit on my old Note. Adequate rear leg room but my needs are really 2+2 you understand? It's compact size (narrow) means that it squeezes through gaps you would be surprised at in towns and is easy to park. Reverse Camera...good but when it rains the water blobs on the lens and you can't see diddly. So I had reverse sensors fitted as well.

The claimed 80mpg economy...er no. It's best doing stop start town work where it will actually get better mpg than out on the open road. My usage is mostly open road, thundering up and down the A12. Chelmsford - Colchester and back. So I get 60 to 65mpg on supermarket unleaded. According to other owners club members It will get 10% more if you use premium unleaded. There is a technique that I won't bore you with called 'pulse n glide' that really boosts your mpg. But tbh when your getting 60+ mpg it's mostly not worth the effort. Suffice to say it's a cheap car to run.

Mines done 14K so far, no dramas and plenty of meat left on the Continental tyres...which I hate. Too stiff make the ride harsh and jiggly. They will be replaced by Falken ziex 912's in due course. Which transfornmed the ride on my old Note...another Continental tyred harsh ride. Reinforced sidewalls? Pah! Spawn of the deveille!

I confess I did not even consider the more expensive Jazz hybrid as I could not live with the styling. Oh when I had the first service they lent me a Yaris 1.33 petrol. What a little rocket ship! Not as econimical (46mpg) and didn't have as nice seating as mine but I was expecting it to be dire. The 1.33 was superb though, six gears! I haven't driven a six geared car before.

In summary Rev...go for an Auris if only for the extra space for vestments n such..

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 26/06/2013 at 14:31

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
After much deliberating and looking at the Yaris and Auris, we have bought a Yaris! We decided there was enough boot space for the dogs to lie down in, they aren't big dogs! I thought that the Auris seemed quite claustrophobic on the inside with the narrow windows, low roof and steep windscreen. Whereas the Yaris is more upright and airy. The Auris didn't seem like it was worth £4k more.

I was impressed that I could sit behind myself, I am 6'2"' and didn't need to push the seat all the way back. Overall the Yaris just didn't feel like a small car, really impressed with the space! We had a good test drive and was also impressed with how it drove, the ease of it and the smoothness of the cvt and hybrid. Thought it might be noisy but much quieter than the doblo.

Salesman was very good too, knowledgable, friendly and not pushy. He listened to what we wanted then gave us a good deal. Delivery in a couple of weeks!

So not Greyhounds. Do you mind me asking which one you went for? T4, T spirit? Colour? I picked silver. Oh and what ticked me off was not getting a drivers armrest and boot deck boards. Its not a cheap car so why does big T save pennies by being tight?

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 27/06/2013 at 01:14

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
We went for the T4. The T3 spec seemed a bit basic and the additions for the T Spirit didn't seem worth the extra, and the sat nav was still a £650 option! The T4 has the multi media screen, alloys, climate control, bluetooth, and a few other nice bits. Not sure about the privacy glass though! The salesman didn't try to push it with an extras either which was a refreshing change

We went for white, which seems the appropriate colour for a hybrid! And didn't cost any extra!

Thanks for all your comments and advice!
Yaris Hybrid - Avant

Sounds like a very good choice. Best of luck with it when you get it.

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
Phone call from the dealer yesterday, and we are collecting the Yaris tomorrow! Maybe the salesman needs to meet his monthly targets!?

Been really impressed with the customer service at Toyota, especially after buying Fiats for the previous two cars. Although Arbury Walsall have been very good in trying to sort the various problems with the old Doblo and with servicing.

It's been a pleasure so far dealing with Toyota inTamworth, hopefully the car will be just as good.
Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
Picked up our new Yaris today, and so far I am really impressed. It's very smooth and quiet, especially when going along on battery power, but not much louder when the engine comes on. The cvt gearbox is pretty quiet too, a lot of press reports criticise it for being noisy and whiny, but the sound is very subdued.

Loads of space inside, leather steering wheel feels nice, and a nice size. And the touch and go screen is brilliant, connects to my phone and plays music via Bluetooth very well.

As we wafted home from the showroom it felt like a much bigger, more expensive and more luxury car. And we are getting nearly 60mpg already.
Yaris Hybrid - gordonbennet

Hope you'll update us now and again please Rev, very few hybrid owners about so useful to get real user feedback.

Your pleasant experience at Toyota sounds entirely normal, that shouldn't change either now they've got your dosh.

Yaris Hybrid - merlin

I've just bought a used Auris hybrid T-spirit. It's just over a year old so the old shape, previously owned by Toyota. They are getting rid of a lot of these cars at the moment so the impression I have is that prices are good compared to new. That combined with nearly a 4 year warranty, £0 tax, good fuel economy and hopefully long term reliability make this a good option IMO.

Doing the school run this morning I managed 68mpg according to the car over a 7 miles journey of slow traffic with a max speed of about 40mph. I was driving with economy in mind. The car even flashed up "Excellent" when I switched it off! Be interesting to see what the real figure is over a longer distance. On the same route with my old Mercedes diesel E-class (w211) I was getting mpg in the low 30s.

Problems so far have been rattles. There was a rattle in the steering area. This was meant to have been fixed before I collected the car. Unfortunately the Toyota garage didn't manage to fix it so I had to return it for a morning. Turned out to be a loose bolt. There's another rattle coming from the passenger side which I think I'll get the garage to look at.

My Toyota Auris looks small compared to all the Chelsea tractors in my daughter's school car park. That doesn't bother me. Just wish more of the Mums would get out of their 4x4s.

Overall I'm very happy with my new Toyota hybrid.

Yaris Hybrid - Avant

The only time a hybrid is really noisy is when you're accelerating hard, e.g. when joining a motorway. So by your account you'll have that probklem only about six times a year.

It sounds as if you've got exactly the right kind of car for your needs - so have I (Octavia vRS estate) and it's quite a nice feeling, isn't it! As GB said above - as an organist I know how busy vicars are, but do keep us updated from time to time when you have a moment.

Edited by Avant on 01/07/2013 at 23:16

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
A quick update after a month in the Yaris Hybrid, and we are very pleased with our choice! We were worried about the dogs fitting in the boot but that isn't a problem, loads of space, it's a proper Tardis inside (down to one dog now; the Labrador Dachshund cross has gone to live with Mother in Law, but that's another story!).

To drive its lovely,this is my first automatic and I love it, very easy and it wafts around town in ev mode a lot. Ev mode is only supposed to work up until 31mph but it seems to work up to 40mph on the flat or downhill. Also, if you put your foot down there's enough grunt as petrol and electric work together. Great for pulling out at junctions and at traffic lights!

Economy hovers around mid 60's with no real effort, the record is 86mpg for one 5 mile trip across town. Haven't been on the motorway yet but up to 60mph is still quiet, a bit of noise on acceleration but nothing like the racket that the reviews would have us believe. And pottering in town it's difficult to tell when the engine is on or if its ev mode, it's very quiet.

The touch screen media stuff is great, it connects to my phone when I get in and plays music from it with no problems. The only possible criticism I have is that the white paint gets dirty easily, it does look good though!

My parent are visiting soon so I will compare the space with their Honda Jazz, which I suspect is a bit bigger inside. But overall the Yaris feels like a much bigger car, in terms of space and how relaxed it feels on the road. Maybe the extra weight of the batteries helps it feels sure-footed on bumpy bits but its so much smoother that the old Doblo (which bounced around like a Jack-in-a-box.

My wife starts driving lessons tomorrow and wants me to take her out in the Yaris, wish me luck, I may need it!

Excellent update, thanks for that, superb economy and none of the downsides of modern Diesel with their satan designed auto gearboxes...

...actually you could probably exorcise those boxes as a sideline..:-)

Haven't driven a Yaris Hybrid, but other Toyota Hybrids have displayed identical silky smooth effortless transmission and like your Yari almost impossible to sense (or hear) the engine fire up to assist the electric when needed.

Keep us updated please as life goes on, be especially interesting to hear of your treatment from the dealers over time, rare though those visits will be.

Yaris Hybrid - Jon182
I have exactly the same model which was delivered last week. Also pleased with it. A couple of useful things I found buried in the manual:

1. There is a hidden shelf above the glove box to store manuals
2. There is a hill start assist engaged by further depressing the brake pedal. A light comes on and keeps brake pedal depressed for a few seconds while you go to the accelerator pedal.

Yaris Hybrid - Oli rag

A labrador dachshund cross sounds like an immaculate conception!

Yaris Hybrid - Avant

If your wife wants to learn to drive.........don't stand in her way.

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev

I don't seem to have a shelf in the glovebox for manuals. The only thing I miss about the old Doblo is the big shelf over the windscreen, very useful for manuals, maps, and small children!

I also don't seem to have hill start, if its in D then the drive holds it on hills until you accelerate anyway.

As for the labrador daschund cross, who knows how it happened! The dad was the mini daschund so he was either very determined or had a stepladder.

New record for mpg as well, 99.9, although a bit of cheating might have been involved (i.e. going downhill in ev mode!).

Yaris Hybrid - galileo

I don't seem to have a shelf in the glovebox for manuals. The only thing I miss about the old Doblo is the big shelf over the windscreen, very useful for manuals, maps, and small children!

Older Yaris had a tray under the front passenger seat for the manual, presumably not in current models?

New record for mpg as well, 99.9, although a bit of cheating might have been involved (i.e. going downhill in ev mode!).

You get that with a conventional car! Climbing hills is a natural 'hybrid' system which many keen watchers of real time fuel consumption do not understand...

Yaris Hybrid - Bobbin Threadbare

Just spent the afternoon being driven around in a 13 plate Yaris Hybrid by the estate agent. Not my sort of car but I was very impressed with the quietness and it was rather comfortable. The chap said the mpg was cracking and the hybrid aspect was really very good for the sort of driving he does; little journeys and crawling round a one-way system. I suppose it's more relaxing to just let the car do its things than be faffing with gears and wasting petrol just sitting in jams and at traffic lights. Quite a nice looking car too.

They are very good at that sort of work, but only average out of town.

Yaris Hybrid - dieseldogg

Daughter had one as a courtsey car while her 1.4 diesel Yaris was getting a bit of panel work done last week.

She did not like it at all.

Nowhere as economical as the diesel.

She mostly does longer runs, but does not drive particularly fast.

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev
It is a very different way to drive, which I am slowly getting used to! I am still reaching down to change gear, and think I am going to stall every time I come to a halt.

The hybrid drive and gearbox makes very odd noises, but generally it all works brilliantly, quiet and smooth. I feel very smug creeping along in traffic on electric power alone.

I am amazed by the motoring press who never seem to give hybrids a good review. Our Yaris Hybrid is the best car we have owned and I would recommend it to anyone!
Yaris Hybrid - dieseldogg

Actually wor daughter said exactly what I keep asking.

Why not a DIESEL/electric hybrid.

Especially if the batteries were used to preheat the coolant in the engine, in colder conditions.

That absolutly should be the dogs dangely bits.

Why petrol at all?

Because it doesn't really work.

1.) For all it's great rev range , most of the torque map of a petrol engine is inefficient. Most of a diesel's torque map is efficient so the benefit of hybridisation is very minimal.

2.) Diesels are already heavy and fairly expensive power units to start with. Hybridisation exacerbates both shortcomings.

3.) Diesels are harder to start than petrols and don't use much fuel while idling so you don't want to switch them on and off like petrols.

Hybrids are good at low speed work. Diesels are great at long haul duty. Pick which one suits. your duty.

Yaris Hybrid - madf

Actually wor daughter said exactly what I keep asking.

Especially if the batteries were used to preheat the coolant in the engine, in colder conditions.

That absolutly should be the dogs dangely bits.

Why petrol at all?

Citroen have made a diesel hybrid.. which should tell you all you need to know...

Yaris Hybrid - bazza

The average motoring press are completely focused on driving performance and "feel good" factors such as aural soundtrack, gearbox feel, acceleration, feedback etc. They find it very difficult to think outside those constraints. Top Gear are the ultimate example. Hence a Prius or Auris hybrid will never be evaluated without bias. They sound different, drive different, feel different, all these are quite alien to the average motoring hack who gets his kicks from the latest 3 Series, GTi, ST, M3 etc. There is also an awful lot of what I believe to be incorrect information floating around as heresay, such as "too complicated", battery lasts x years and costs 20 grand to replace etc, this info is then peddled and recycled , becomes "fact" and creates resistance to change. The UK public are also fearful of "new" technology even though Toyota's hybrid system has proven very reliable in places like California where 200,000 miles plus out of one is common.

Yaris Hybrid - johnnyrev

1000 Mile Update:

It's taken 3 months but we've just gone past 1000 miles in the Yaris. MPG is usually around the low 60's, this is mainly on the school run and pottering around the parish. There has been the odd journey where it is much higher but I tend to measure it on the trip computer on a daily basis, and 62-3MPG is about normal. We seem to be doing better than friends with a Prius who rarely get 60MPG, I guess this is because the Yaris is so much smaller and lighter.

On a trip to the NEC last week, mainly on the motorway, we managed 68MPG which was surprising for motorway speeds. I was also very impressed with the lack of noise on the motorway at 70-75MPH. Much quieter than the old Doblo, and acceleration is more than adequate for getting up to speed and overtaking.

I have a dilemma to work out now the mornings are getting colder. If I turn on the heat to keep the windscreen demisted, when we start our journey, then the engine will straight away come on (presumably for the heat). I've not been popular so far and have been setting off with the window down! There must be a way to have (cold) air blowing on the windscreen without the engine coming on. Maybe thats a question for a Toyota Hybrid forum....

There are some very small niggles: the rear wiper is too small, I miss having an arm rest for my left arm, and white paint gets very dirty very quickly!

My wife is still learning to drive but alas the free insurance from Toyota wouldn't insure her to drive the Yris on her provisional licence so she will have to wait until she has passed her test before she can drive it!

Edited by johnnyrev on 08/10/2013 at 11:24

Yaris Hybrid - bazza

That is very impressive economy as an average! Please keep the updates coming, it's useful information.

Yaris Hybrid - Happy Blue!

What you need is the air con to blow cold air onto the screen. Simply don't turn the heater up - leave it on cold. However I think that with colder weather you are inevitably going to get the engine to come on sooner than during the summer.

Dear Rev,

Thats a typical mpg figure for me too. My best so far on a tank is 67.5mpg but that was some careful motoring there! 64 to 66 is more common but you'll find the colder it gets the lower your mpg figure. I was getting mid fifties when the snow was around. I have no idea why but trust me the mpg is heavily dependent on the ambient temperature.

My commute is A12 followed by Colchester congestion. The funny thing is the congestion doesn't bother me a bit these days as I know I'll be on battery the whole time and just 'improving my Average mpg'. in Latin that'll be 'Smugus Hybridicus' syndrome!

Odd noises.bangs ..hmmm yes I think they are summat to do with the electrical inverter. The other day I had a gurgling hissing sound in the garage when I switched off. Wonder if it's the Inverter cooling system (not the ice engine cooling system but the other cooling system).

Or maybe Toyota put in a comedy noises system for entertainment value. It's going into the Main s****** for it's 20K service end of the month it's now one year and one month old. If the noises are not 'usual' I'm sure they'll let me know.

Cheers.

Thanks for the update, good going that fuel.

re small niggle, lots of rear wipers are puny little things, suggest you turn on the rear wiper when the rear screen is covered in condensation, then go and have a look at the sweep and see if a longer blade could fit without fouling, you might be able to chuck a 2 or 3" longer blade on.