Scirocco - Buying from a dealer with cash - CarpyDog

I am looking for a new car, I have chosen the model, a Sirocco but I need to decide the engine which means a couple of test drives

I am not in a hurry, started looking 6 months ago and I will pay cash.

I have been to a few dealers in some cases they don’t seem bothered at all, in others they take details and say they will call when they have cars to test. I watch their websites and see the cars come and go, I hear nothing.

We have not discussed the price but I do understand the various model ranges and features

My questions are
Is it incompetence?
Is it Apathy?
Do they want me to ring them every day to demonstrate my interest?Should I grovel?

Or

Do I have to buy on HP?

Or is there something else I need to do to get them moving?

Edited by Avant on 14/06/2013 at 00:25

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - RT

If you've already told them you're paying cash, they've probably lost interest - they make far more money on finance than they do on the car - sometimes even losing money on the car.

Cash iSN'T king when buying from a dealer !

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - CarpyDog

I had suspected as much, so what do I do indicate I want credit until the end then settle with a 100% deposit?

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - Dabooka

If you've already told them you're paying cash, they've probably lost interest - they make far more money on finance than they do on the car - sometimes even losing money on the car.

Cash iSN'T king when buying from a dealer !

Couldn't agree more, when we looked a Giulietta recently, they weren't interested once we pointed out I considered PCP to be ridiculously unreasonable and that the 13.9% was not very competitive for HP. He literally said "In that case, after trade in you owe us eleven and a half grand, take it or leave it."

We walked.

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - tony g
Hi cd.
I'm not sure how in demand the new scirocco is .If the dealer has a waiting list for the car ,then they're not going to be interested in a potential buyer who's not made a decision to buy after 6 months .

Your right when you say dealers are not motivated by cash buyers ,they earn a commission from finance companies .

Have you tried ringing local vw dealers ,to see which dealers have a scirocco as a demonstrator .

Once you find one organise a test drive ,but don't tell them you've been looking for 6 months ,or your buying cash ,or your not sure which model to buy .

They will view you as a time waster if you do .

Good tips thanks

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - TeeCee

If it were me, I'd be rethinking my choice, including a few other manufacturers' dealers and going with the make/dealer that actually gave a stuff about getting my business.

Why reward a manufacturer who lets its agents treat its potential customers as a nuisance?

Or, if you really have your heart set on your current choice, you could drop a line to VW's Customer Services, explain the situtation and ask them nicely to recommend a dealer who would actually like to sell you a car......

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - daveyjp
Or if discounts are around, cut out any requirement to visit a showroom and source one through a broker
Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - daveyK_UK
Agree with TeeCee

why not look at the Hyundai Velostar or the new Toyota GT or Suburu equivelent?

I dont agree that dealers dont want cash, dealers do want cash deals especially at the end of a month if they must hit a certain target.

A cash deal is also easier to process and they can turn the deal around faster if the car is already available.

I think your experience relates more to the VW dealerships and their general expectancy of sales and people paying list price or near enough to it.

Maybe time to re-consider?

Thanks

I currently have an Audi A3 and have owned 4 other Audi/VW's it may be sad but I like them and they do retain their value better than most.

I think the dealerships think they are top of the tree and sometimes behave with an arrogance I cannot believe

My problem is I just don’t want anything else, maybe I should buy private

Scirroco - Buying from a dealer with cash - barney100

Thanks for the tip on Audi dealer's arrogance, think I would walk too.

Scirocco - Buying from a dealer with cash - Avant

Have a look at the Good Garage Guide on this site and see if there's a VW dealer there that's near enough to you. It can be worth driving up to, say, 50 miles to get a good dealer, provided that you get a courtesy car when yours is in for service.

Edited by Avant on 14/06/2013 at 11:23

Scirocco - Buying from a dealer with cash - oldtoffee

I find VW and Audi dealers all the same, Audi perhaps more arrogant but VW run them close. Skoda miles better.

You can get £4,700 off a 2.0 petrol or diesel Scirocco from drive the deal and all they do is put you in touch with a dealer who wants the sale. You pay a £500 deposit to the dealer not drive the deal. It might mean waiting for a factory order if you spec a few options but they might have access to stock cars. Either way you don't end up giving your business to a lazy dealer and you get a deal you're unlikely to get yourself.

Drive the deal!, you are right but out by £700 for a TSI 210 it is 4,770 saving BETTER by £700. Never heard of them before has anyone used them?

I tried the guide and Southampton, South east and South west returned zero for used cars for VW, I guess that tells me something

>>>>Never heard of them before has anyone used them?

I bought a Golf GTi via them ages ago, painless experience. Key for me is they don't ask for a big deposit and pocket your money for ages so zero risk. They've been going years and they have HJ's approval with his one of his HATs awarded.

Thanks, I was not considering new but this does put a different perspective on it

Edited by CarpyDog on 14/06/2013 at 09:47

Windrush VW in Maidenhead are in the Guide, although for some reason theydidn't come up under used cars. Best to look for all services.

Their website is www.windrush.co.uk. I looked and they have some used Sciroccos. (I have no connection with this garage!)

Usual sky high used prices at the main dealers! For £4k extra you can have a new 2.0TSi over a used 1.4TSi. Or buy a new 1.4 TSi and pay £1,100 less than a used one. To be fair there's be some haggling to be done on those used prices.

I've used Windrush and found their service department pretty good (wasn't always) but not sure I'd buy from them as I found them a pretty aloof bunch much as the OP describes his experiences at the top of the post.

Having posted about Windrush VW (Maidenhead) yesterday I thought I would ask for another quote for a Golf GTI. They offered me a test drive for this morning and I was very impressed not only with the car (as I had been on the first test drive a week ago in Reading) but also with Warren the salesman, who knew his prodict and wanted to sell, and Adam the sales manager, who unlike many of that species has his desk in the showroom and willingly talks to customers.

I'm not ready to change for a few months yet but both GTI and Windrush will be high on the shortlist when the time comes. There's a 5 to 6 month waiting list for the new Mark 7 GTI, and if this is what I go for, ordering this autumn for a March 2014 delivery would be fine. But I need to try a few other ideas in the meantime, not least the new Octavis vRS.

From what people are saying upthread, there seems to be some merit in starting a PCP to get a better deal and then paying it off a little later if one can afford to.

Edited by Avant on 16/06/2013 at 01:20

Scirocco - Buying from a dealer with cash - NARU

I am looking for a new car, I have chosen the model, a Sirocco but I need to decide the engine which means a couple of test drives

I found my local VW dealers the worst around. Totally useless and uninterested in making a sale. Strangely the Audi dealer next door was much better.

I thought I would test my theory and contacted my local dealer via Instant messaging on their web site asking about HP, and LO’ a flurry of messages followed by a quote 14.8% apr which amounted to 3K+ on 12.5K and (+5K deposit x 36months).
I said I thought 15% was a bit steep and was told I got free 2 year servicing, to me this is 1 service £300?
I could borrow the same money at 5% with a cost of 1K, saving £2,000 – not a small amount!

The point is that £12,500 is the same wherever you get it, there is no good or bad 12,500

I have also considered PCP ‘to get a better deal’ but you still pay interest, the only benefit is that you don’t have a lump up front to pay-out and you should be able to get more than the £9.8(sirocco 210tsi) residual amount if you choose to buy after 3 years.
The dealers seem to have mostly 3 year old cars which presumably are from old PCP’s where the car was just handed back which means the dealer paid in the region of 10K
I have not seen one on the forecourt for £10K, more likely 15/16 which means they are making 6/7 K and if they finance it, another 3K very nice. £9 or £9 thousand pounds for no effort and treating customers like dogs, very nice thank you,
And what about acceptance fees and option to purchase fees! Bol*ks

I go into a shop and buy a paper for one pound fifty pence and I get a hello, a chat, directions and advice if I need them, go to a garage and what do you get expensive nothing!!

not that I am wound up or anything you understand

Scirocco - Buying from a dealer with cash - Mr Fox

I just had the same experience with the Audi Dealer, won't repeat it all on here, but I fared much better at BMW where they were extremely professional and courteous.

Guess its just down to luck. In the end the sales staff have GOT to sell cars so this ignorance and failure to call back just shows how poor they are.