Avoiding being clamped - Chris M
I was in London (Mark Lane, EC3) on Friday and saw a BT van parked on a double yellow. Nothing unusual there! Now I don't get to the City that regularly now, so I don't know whether this is now standard practice, but the BT engineer was fixing, with the aid of tie wraps, a barrier over each wheel. The barriers being those wire framed things they put round the holes in the pavement when they are working.

Has anyone else witnessed similar behavior and I wonder how the clampers will get around this?

Chris M
Avoiding being clamped - orbit500
Alternatively, either get a Citroen BX or develop late onset muscular dystrophy and get a blue badge.
Both worked for me.
Avoiding being clamped - THe Growler
Clamping is a moronic concept. Why stop someone from moving from a place you don't want them to be anyway? DUh!!
Avoiding being clamped - Cliff Pope
Alternatively, either get a Citroen BX or develop late onset muscular
dystrophy and get a blue badge.
Both worked for me.

Or get your own clamp
Avoiding being clamped - cockle {P}
It doesn't surprise me that the BT guys have had to resort to this, they don't get any dispensation with regard to parking, nor would they particularly expect it.
I was talking to a BT guy who works in London and he swears that one of his colleagues was actually clamped in Lambeth while parked inside a coned off area carrying out work in the street and having placed his vehicle to protect his work area as prescribed in the Street Works Act and as instructed by the appropriate Health and Safety guidelines. Apparently that's how daft some of these clampers are!

Cockle
Avoiding being clamped - Dwight Van Driver
I think you will actually find that in the Rgeulation/Order prohibiting parking there will be an exemption for Emergency services and Statutory Authorites to enable work to be done, plus certain others.

If they can now clamp Fire Service vehicles stand by for a further claim of 40%.

DVD
Avoiding being clamped - BrianW
The problem is that the enforcement has moved from Traffic Wardens, whose brief includes (theoretically) keeping traffic moving and who may have merely told the driver to shift it if it was causing an obstruction, to Parking Attendants whose brief is simply to fine or clamp anyone not in a prepaid parking bay, without thought for traffic flow.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Avoiding being clamped - volvod5_dude
Best way to deal with a clamp is to find the nearest tool hire place, get an angle grinder and cut the clamp off and throw it over the nearest hedge! There was a couple of guys being filmed doing the same thing on the tele' the other night, while the "clampers" looked on. The clampers rang the police but guess what, the police didn't turn up, weren't interested, and the clampees dissapeared into the sunset. I think the programme was "Jobs from Hell".

VD5D.
Avoiding being clamped - Jonathan {p}
...and the guy who removed the clamp was up in court a few weeks later charged with criminal damage.

There was a story of a chap in manchester who managed to remove the clamp from his supra, without damaging the clamp (or his car). I can't remember if he got off with it or not!
Avoiding being clamped - Graham
At the risk of becoming a bore .... to late I know.

Land Rover tyres are huge and may be unclampable! Mine are 7:50 x 16
Avoiding being clamped - Hugo {P}
There was a story of a chap in manchester who managed
to remove the clamp from his supra, without damaging the clamp
(or his car). I can't remember if he got off with
it or not!

I suspect he did get away with it.

Several years ago a student friend of mine had his Spitfire clamped.

Apparently they clamped one of the front wheels. IIRC after offereing his girlfriend half the fee if she persuaded them to unlock it free of charge (cut no ice) he lifted the bonnet to give clear access (Spitfire wheel rims and wings lift up with the bonnet), deflated his wheel and managed to work the clamp loose without damaging the clamp or the car. He then changed the wheel for his spare, handed the clamp back to the clampers, who were watching with interest, and drove off.

If you manage to remove the clamp without damaging it you're perfectly within the law. In addition the clampers must stay free of damaging your car if they clamp you.

Not only that, if you park illegly in a pick up zone, where they actually pick your car up using a crane. Provide you are present when the car is still on the ground (whether or not it is harnessed), you can demand that they release the car to you straight away. If you are reasonable with them and point this out they should release your car back to you there and then.

H
Avoiding being clamped - Micky
Watched a crane trying to lift a stretched Volvo 7 Series last year; the Volvo was too long to fit on the lorry and the contractor was forced to retire empty handed (or empty flat-bedded).

A small crowd had gathered to enjoy this fine demonstration of competence.
Avoiding being clamped - Jonathan {p}
a very similar thing happened a couple of years ago in manchester. A footballer's Canyonero(1) was illegally parked outside the printworks and they tried to lift it, but it exceeded the weight for the lift arm, so they had to leave it in place.

(1) The Simpson's name for a huge 4wd vehicle.
Avoiding being clamped - Dynamic Dave
There was a story of a chap in manchester who managed
to remove the clamp from his supra, without damaging the clamp
(or his car). I can't remember if he got off with
it or not!

If the clamp can be removed without damage and returned to it's rightful owner, then he can't be charged/fined.
Avoiding being clamped - joe
Is anyone going to speak up for the clampers? I am thinking in particular of private clampers operating on private land.
I know this is open to abuse ( silly fines, tiny signs etc) but sometimes I feel that they get an unfair press. In my opinion, if you flout parking laws, or park on private land (and you have no right to assume that it is public) you deserve what you get.

I am sure you all agree with me.
Avoiding being clamped - JamesH
If the clamp is damaged then the clampers can prosecute for criminal damage.

However, if you get it off I think you might be allowed to keep hold of it until they collect it. You may even be able to charge the clampers a return fee :)

James
Avoiding being clamped - Mark (RLBS)
There was another guy in the papers a few years ago who had his own look-a-like clamp. He used to clamp his own car and nobody else ever bothered.

Dunno how he got caught.
Avoiding being clamped - BrianW
There was another guy in the papers a few years ago who had his own look-a-like clamp. He used to clamp his own car and nobody else ever bothered.

>>
Funny you should say that.
I carry round a selection of Camden Council Penalty Charge Notice parking ticket envelopes.
Stick one on if you're not in a bay and they think you've already been done!
Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Avoiding being clamped - mal
Didn't a pair of characters with a yellow 3 wheeler van resort to similar tricks of deception.:-)
Mal.