Honda CR-V 2.2 CDTi 2005 - High turbo boost pressure fault - UncleRob

I am touring on the continent with my 2005 CRV 2,2 CDTi (89,000 miles) towing a caravan, which I have done with this car since 2007 when I bought it. Cruising at around 50mph on the motorway the engine suddenly lost power, the engine management light came on and the car went into limp home mode - it would not rev over 2200 rpm.

It was towed to a garage (Bosch Service agent) who said that fault was registered was high turbo boost pressure, but say they have reset the fault code and cannot reproduce the problem, so no faulty parts found or replaced. Of course I'm very worried that it will happen again as I have over 1000 miles still planned on this trip.

Any suggestions anyone who has experienced this before?

Honda CR-V 2.2 CDTi 2005 - High turbo boost pressure fault - dieselnut

I don't know the ins & outs of this particular engine, but most turbo diesels use a variable vane turbo. What usually happens is that the variable vane mechanism occasionally sticks due to a buildup of carbon from the exhaust. They nearly always stick in the full boost position leading to the overboost condition. The ECU then reverts to reduced power to protect the engine. Switching off/on the ignition thus rresetting the ECU is usually a short term fix, but the turbo will need to be taken apart & the variable vane mech cleaned thoroughly.

Edited by dieselnut on 07/06/2013 at 11:46

Honda CR-V 2.2 CDTi 2005 - High turbo boost pressure fault - UncleRob

Thanks, I was thinking along similar lines. When I collected the car the garage said that the fault registered was a problem with the turbo pressure control valve, but because he could not replicate the fault after clearing the code, he did not change any parts. So far we have done nearly 200 miles mostly towing and it has not reoccurred, but I have been careful to keep the engine from labouring in high gear.

Honda CR-V 2.2 CDTi 2005 - High turbo boost pressure fault - dieselnut

When the requested turbo pressure is approached the ECU will start to shut down the turbo pressure control valve, but if the turbo doesn't respond ( due to being stuck ), the ECU will flag up a pressure control valve fault. It could be that the pressure control valve is sticking, but not very likely.

Honda CR-V 2.2 CDTi 2005 - High turbo boost pressure fault - Chris SD1

Hi, I've just had a similar problem in my 2006 2.2 CDTi whilst towing at 55-60mph on the M5. Not long had vehicle and have towed twice before. Was using cruise control and changing from 6th gear to 5th to see difference in fuel consumption readings when lost power and engine management light came on. Was recovered to services by AA, fault was turbo boost pressure too high. Fault was cleared and could not be reproduced by AA engineer. All settings were well within perameters. Towed rest of journey and return journey with no problems, avoiding using cruise control and avoiding 6th gear and only using 5th over 55mph. No repaeat so far.

Have you had any further problems with yours whilst towing UncleRob?