Mileage or Make? - py9mrg
Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of car buying advice. I am mainly interested in reliability. Say you have two cars of the same age, both with FSH, long MOTs, similar-ish price, good condition etc, but one is a notoriously reliable make but much higher mileage, is it worth sacrificing the mileage to get that make?

I'm thinking specifically 2000 Toyota Celica with 93k compared to a 2000 Ford Puma with 51k. Is the much higher mileage worth the Toyota reliability?

On another note, is it worth going for a car that is newer even if it has similar mileage (all else being approximately equal)?

So in this case the Ford Puma above compared to 2003 Sport Ka with 46k.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Mileage or Make? - Bobbin Threadbare

The Celica will be a better bet anyway. My OH has run a 2003 Celica for 5 years now and it's on 106k on the clock - it will not go wrong and he doesn't exactly lavish it with care. Never misses a beat. They're still holding decent value due to rarity too.

Ah great, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Mileage or Make? - 72 dudes

I agree with Bobbin about the Celica - should prove reliable as long as it hasn't been caned. The 140 BHP model might be preferable to the 189 BHP VVT engine in this respect.

As a general rule, older cars with a LOW mileage are not always a good bet. Possibly lots of short or infrequent journeys.

Look for service history and evidence of that history in the form of bills/invoices etc.

Another thing is to carefully inspect the interior; it's a good indicator of how the car has been cared for.

Mileage or Make? - Andrew-T

Too many variables - mileage and reliability are just two. Such as

are you bothered about appearance - are there many dings? Right colour?

your prejudices about make - I don't believe you haven't any :-)

if it is totally reliable, is it also nice to drive, and does it do everything you want it to?

will it depreciate quickly? Reasonable to insure?

Etc, etc. ...

This will depend how new the car is, but if possible buy from someone who knows about it, rather than some dealer who took it as part-ex or got it at auction.

High milage in a regularly and properly serviced car (especially a diesel) may be no disadvantage at all - in fact it makes the car a better bargain.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/06/2013 at 15:53

Mileage or Make? - concrete

Hello py9mrg, you need to take a long hard look. My car has 167K but perfect FSH and cambelt changes etc. Used nearly every day and for long journeys. Sweet as a nut. A similar age car with low mileage used for short journeys, spells Trouble. The engine is probably the toughest part of the car, it is the other bits that break too. I agree with Bobbin that Toyotas are bullet proof and are unlikely to fail easily. So if your prospective Toyota has the right service history, test drives well and sound good then the other bits should be ok too and you could have a little gem for many years to come. Cheers Concrete

Hello all,

Thanks for your advice. I went and looked at the Toyota and it was in very good condition. It had two previous owners, a genuine reason for sale, tons of receipts for even the most minor things like tyres, all the service history and mots etc etc. I took the plunge. It's early days yet but does feel just that little bit better quality, particularly mechanically speaking. Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers.
Mileage or Make? - gordonbennet

Good choice, still a very good looking car too compared with the fashion clones of its time.

Mileage or Make? - Avant

Another good sign is that it's had only two owners - at least one if not both of whom must have kept it for a long time and loved it.

Mileage or Make? - jamie745

Brand reputation counts for little in used cars frankly. People said my Peugeot's would fall apart - they didn't.

I was told buying a Ford era Jaguar was a mistake - it wasn't.

My mate reckoned his Avensis would go forever - it didn't.

Mileage or Make? - jc2

The Ford era Jaguar is certainly better than the ones before and will probably be better than the Tata ones.

Mileage or Make? - Andrew-T

Brand reputation counts for little in used cars frankly. People said my Peugeot's would fall apart - they didn't.

Exactly, Jamie. Buying cars a few years old depends more on careful examination than on make - in other words buyers have to learn what to look out for. Not all sellers are devious, but there will usually be some reason for getting rid, perhaps serious or trivial. If it is merely wanting something different, there could be a good bargain ...

Mileage or Make? - jamie745

I've always backed my own ability to spot a rightun from a wrongun, but people with no interest in cars will probably be at the mercy of owner reviews, service history and dealer reputation. I just slump in my chair when people ask me 'is a Golf/Focus/insert generic car a good used purchase?'

That's impossible to answer.