Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - Donster2k

Hi All,

I recently bought a brand new 2013 2.2 i-DTEC Civic. While I am generally happy with the car, I have one major gripe: when the fuel tank is over 2/3s full, I can hear the fuel slosing around in the tank!

This isn't a problem when I'm driving on the motorway, but is quite annoying when driving around town, as I speed up and slow down the fuel sloshes and clumps around the tank. My wife certainly wasn't too pleased to hear this after spending over £20k on a car!

Anyway, I've contacted Honda who have examined the car and officially acknowledge (through a letter) that it is a "normal characteristic" of the car. It is the first time I have had this problem with a car and feel this is a major design fault!

While talking to the Honda technician at my local garage he stated that this was common amongst the smaller Hondas (Civic & Jazz). Apparently new EU legislation requires the tank to be located in the centre of the car, hence the fuel sloshing can be heard. Really though, you'd think that honda would provide sufficient noise insulation on the tank...

Anyone else having issue with this problem or do people just learn to ignore it?

Cheers,

Don

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - gordonbennet

Lifting the carpets and trim from boot, underfloor and wheelarch areas on many cars will reveal little if any insulation.

A small cost investment and some well spent time upping the insulation in these areas can make a massive difference to noise intrusion.

In this particular case i can't understand why Honda didn't baffle the tank, presumably cost.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - Bromptonaut

Aware of it occasionally in both our cars - Xantia and Berlingo. Each has a 60litre or so tank under the rear seat. I must have learned to live with it.

Agree with GB. If it's spoiling your enjoyment of the car adding some extra insulation is the way to go.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - RT

I don't ever recall fuel sloshing sounds over 40 years, despite running some very basic mass-produced cars - all have had enough baffles and/or cabin insulation to hide it entirely.

And I thought Honda majored on good design!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - sb10

I have the 2010 si petrol but never heard the fuel sloshing as you mentioned,but theyve altered the design I think, looking at it,perhaps Honda took away some sound deadening in the tank area, I think its mid mount on civic

though Honda said they increased sound baffles on latest car?

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - unthrottled

First world problems!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - Auristocrat

As far as I'm aware for the 2006 Civic onwards, Honda followed the same design principles they used for the Jazz and postioned the fuel tank beneath the front seats - see http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2006/?section=cabin - to free up interior space.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - RT

As far as I'm aware for the 2006 Civic onwards, Honda followed the same design principles they used for the Jazz and postioned the fuel tank beneath the front seats - see http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2006/?section=cabin - to free up interior space.

Wasn't that where the WW2 Jeep had it's fuel tank - with often disastrous results.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - Auristocrat

'Wasn't that where the WW2 Jeep had it's fuel tank - with often disastrous results'

Things have probably progressed a bit in 72 years though.

I find the tonal quality of the indicator relay clicking decidedly distracting. I wonder if VOSA are aware of the problem...?

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - Ordovices

It got so bad for me that I had to buy a BMW just so that I didn't have to use the indicators!

I think they now come as standard on the Special Equipment models.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - nortones2

But you can ask for a delete option to be on par with Audi (or Aldi) drivers:) I assume.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic sloshing fuel in tank - sb10

I dont recall any car Ive had, before the Civic, where you cannot hear the fuel moving about the tank above half full,the Rover 25 being the worst for that IMO