Honda Accord - i-CTDi VSA module failure - should dealer pay? - joneds

I recently took my 2006 diesel Accord into the local main dealer to have a new clutch fitted. After the work was done, the servicing manager remarked that on the test drive they performed, the VSA (traction control) light had lit up on the dashboard, indicating a failure of the unit. This light had never come on with me driving it previously.

Having briefly done some research into this online, I now realise that Honda issued a warranty extension for VSA units on diesel 7th gen. Accords to get them replaced free of charge as long as your mileage was below 62k. As my mileage is now around 72k, this obviously excludes me from the free fix, but the dealeris trying to negotiate a better price with Honda for the near £2k cost of replacing the VSA unit.

My question is should I actually be liable to pay for this at all? Seeing as the first time the light came on was when it was in the garage's care.

Thanks for any advice.

Honda Accord - i-CTDi VSA module failure - should dealer pay? - craig-pd130

The dealer might have done something while changing the clutch to cause the VSA light to come on, but it could just be coincidence too -- I think it would be difficult to prove that the dealer caused it.

See what they can do in terms of goodwill.

Also a search has revealed this option which is much cheaper than Honda's prices: http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/product/honda_accord_abs_pump__ecumodule_combined_amce551m1.html

Honda Accord - i-CTDi VSA module failure - should dealer pay? - joneds

Thanks for the reply.

I'll investigate the place in the link - definitely beats the Honda price!

Honda Accord - i-CTDi VSA module failure - should dealer pay? - Rathkennamike

I recently replaced my VSA box with one I got from the Honda dealer for Euro512.

It was a honda reconditioned unit, apperantly they have decided to sell recon units as the problem has persisted for older/high milage cars.

AS the A/C pipes run accross the top of the unit I had to drop out he alternator and idler pulley to remove the VSA. I also had to remodle the bottom of the support bracket where it supports some of the pipes, just to facilitate reinstallation