Peugeot 405 Diesel - fuel filter housing leak - aussie01

1995 Pug 405 SRDT

my 405 has been very hard to start of late and i have found there to be a diesel leak coming from the bottom of the fuel filter housing. It is a small white round piece at the bottom of the black plastic filter housing, on another site info I have read leads me to believe that is coming from a thermostat at the bottom of the housing. I have not been able to find any info online in regards to this part, or how to repair or replace.

anyone familiar with this?

Peugeot 405 Diesel - fuel filter housing leak - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The diesel fuel filter often has a small heater which comes in at below-freezing temperatures, and this can be identified by it's wiring plug. Also there should be a small tap at the bottom to allow draining any water out of the housing - remembering that water will sink below the diesel fuel. You could try to see if that tap or bleed-valve has come loose.

No, it is the thermostat at the bottom of the filter cannister. It diverts the fuel flow to a heat exchanger under the filter if it is cold enough. It has no wires or plugs. It sounds like a common thing to modify for those running VO on the 405s. I am only running diesel at the moment and doing this mod will cause the fuel to be heated at all times and I have heard that heated diesel looses it's lubricating properties which will take it's toll on the IP
Peugeot 405 Diesel - fuel filter housing leak - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

A more complex but efficient way to pre-heat the fuel. I've learnt something. Thank you for that.

I got criticised by the MOT chap a few years ago.. They blew the seat out of one of the injectors whilst doing the emission test. At that time Morrisons were doing a '30% biodiesel' which I had been using. The car ran wonderfully smoothly on it. The garage blamed that on the seat failure and the thick carbonisation that they found in the inlet manifold whilst replacing the injector seals and accused me of running the car on chip fat! My own thoughts were that it was simply the leaking injector which had caused the carbonisation, but I would be wary of running vegetable oil now as my pension is stretched too far by car repairs. Doing the mod to permanently pre-heat diesel fuel does not sound good. Can this thermostatic by-pass not be changed on its own? If it comes complete with the filter, and if you're going to have to remove the filter to repair the leak, 'appen it's better to bite the bullet and fit a new filter? After all, diesel filters should be changed fairly regularly, though my car has done 175k miles with only one filter change!

Here in Oz parts for the 405s are next to impossible to find. Even getting the filter itself is proving to be a bit tricky. What I would like to do is find a new(or salvaged) filter housing and use that, probably even silicone the thstat in just to be on the safe side. Then I would have a spare that I could mod in case I ever get around to running on WVO. While running on only diesel, I don't think doing the mod and heating the diesel at all times is a good idea, but the heating of VO is essential before combustion in my opinion. Cold oil can be handled by the Bosch IP with no problems but I do not believe that it burns as well as heated oil when injected into the cylinder which in the long run will ruin the rings and also end up in the crankcase. Costly repairs I cannot afford.
Ive found a reseal kit for the fuel filter housing, has all the seals/o rings required for all the ports on the plastic filter housing so Ill givethat a shot. Ill replace the filter while Im at it.
Peugeot 405 Diesel - fuel filter housing leak - rog-gar

Ive found a reseal kit for the fuel filter housing, has all the seals/o rings required for all the ports on the plastic filter housing so Ill givethat a shot. Ill replace the filter while Im at it.

ref mesage above could you advise where you got the reseal kit from please if pos many thanks Roger