Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - mingo

Hi

I've been offered the chance to buy a Ford S Max Titanium, 2007 with 154,000 miles on the clock. It is is Diesel.

Went to see it yesterday and it looks ok, and has service history from Leaseplan. The CamBelt was changed 1 year ago, but the cost to do it was only £279 which to me seems a bit cheap therefore I don't know if this was a full CamBelt change or not. Other stuff like the tyres, brakes, A/c have all been services and replaced in the past 3 years. I didn't notice any change to the suspension or clutch though.

Do you think this sounds ok? They want £4400 for it, and if this car had 120/130 thousand miles on the clock I would probably buy it but 154,000 seems a bit high. Willing to take a little risk but don't want to spend £4k for a years motoring!

Thanks everyone.

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - Fernando P

If you were sure about buying this car you would not be asking the question on this forum! You have answered your own question; it does seem to represent good VFM at the price mentioned.

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - Fernando P

Sorry- the word NOT should be inserted before seem.

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - Alf_Hooker

You do not say which engine it has The 1.8 TDCI is a very old rough design based on an engine first seen in the Sierra, so if this is the case, don't

However these cars with the 2.0 TDCI have been proven to be very durable, most of the Minicabs in London, and certainly all those run by Addison Lee are the mechanically identical Galaxy, they can be expected to run for 300 + K miles and still give good service.

People buy cars like this for serious long distance work, and the cars are built for it. I have been in a Mondeo Taxi that had 220 K on the clock and an Old Galaxy that had 340 K.

If all maintanence has been properly carried out, then it should be fine.

Running on the motorway it would be turning over at 2000 RPM and this would give very little wear. Cambelts are due at 125K and or 10 years

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - mingo

You do not say which engine it has The 1.8 TDCI is a very old rough design based on an engine first seen in the Sierra, so if this is the case, don't

However these cars with the 2.0 TDCI have been proven to be very durable, most of the Minicabs in London, and certainly all those run by Addison Lee are the mechanically identical Galaxy, they can be expected to run for 300 + K miles and still give good service.

People buy cars like this for serious long distance work, and the cars are built for it. I have been in a Mondeo Taxi that had 220 K on the clock and an Old Galaxy that had 340 K.

If all maintanence has been properly carried out, then it should be fine.

Running on the motorway it would be turning over at 2000 RPM and this would give very little wear. Cambelts are due at 125K and or 10 years

Its the 2.0 TDCI - ex lease plan car. Just found out that the Cambelt was changed in Nov 2011 and the MOT has another year left. The service is due now, as last service was at 125k.

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - Happy Blue!

I have an S-max with this engine and the auto box. Only 40,000 miles though since June 2009 and its having its service as I type this.

Whilst there are some horror stories out there for the S-max, mine has been very reliable and I have no doubt that if I looked after it it would last many miles. It seems that this car you are buying has had all the necessary service work carried out and with that mileage (over 25,000 mils pa) has probably led a fairly stress free life on the motorway. In other words a far easier life than mine which spends most of its time in suburban Manchester.

£4,400 does seem a little high, but how does it compare with the competition? If its a fair price take punt. The only concerning matter is the lack of service since 125,000 miles. I would seek some discount for that, if nothing else. However an oil change with a good filter would set my mind at rest about that.

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - brum

The service is due now, as last service was at 125k.

Is that right? You say the car now has 154k on the clock. 29k between services seems far too long for a Ford engine.

Edited by brum on 10/05/2013 at 16:51

Ford S Max - Ford S Max Titanium - 150,000 miles - Worth buying - Alf_Hooker

These are supposed to be serviced every 12500 miles, or 12 months, whichever is the sooner, so its well overdue, and this might cause a problem for the Turbo bearings.

I'd seek clarification on this matter before going ahead, Ford Dealers usually do a low cost plan for cars over 4 years old, and this goes from £ 100 for a basic service to 175 to a full service including all filters. it goes basic, full basic full, so they need all the air & fuel filters changed every 25K and Oil and filter only at 12.5 K.