2005 mk2 ford focus 1.6 tdci - tensioner rattle - sezsesz

Hi, my focus has started making a rattling noise, it comes from the area of the tensioner, thought it may have been the AC unit but that has been replaced and the problem still exsists, when u apply pressure to the tensioner the noise stops, let go and it starts again, this happens at idle but can also be heard when driving, any help will be much appreciated as i do not have the spare cash to keep replacing parts till ieventually get the correct one!

2005 mk2 ford focus 1.6 tdci - tensioner rattle - elekie&a/c doctor

I would check the crankshaft pulley .These are a vibration damper pulley and the 2 parts can seperate causing slip.Look for any rust marks within the pulley face.hth

thank you for your response, will get my other half to check that when he gets home, i take it the crankshaft pulley is in the same area as the tensioner? i a so glad i re checked here as was just about to order a new tensioner online! if it has slipped can this be fixed or will it need a new crankshaft pulley? many thanks again. sez

Edited by sezsesz on 10/05/2013 at 15:12

If this is the problem,then a new pulley reqd.Expensive from Ford,but readily available in after market parts at a lot less.Could also be the alternator pulley,as this is a one way clutch type fitting.hth

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/05/2013 at 15:39

thankyou, we don't think this is alernator as we have also replaced that within the last 6 weeks, but partner has just told me he did find strips of metal ontop of engine pan cover under crank pulley! will def check crank pulley out before doing anything else, but are you able to give any thoughts on tensioner.. if push on it the noise stops, let go it starts.. ? all help much appreciated, sez

I am sure the tensioner is responding to the lack of drive/oscillations of the crank pulley.Get this changed first.

ah.. ok, see this is why i need help! i just assumed as when touching that part it stopped that it would be the tensioner thats the problem! so change the crank pulley first and hopefully that would do it? thank you.. feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel now!

just wanted to say thank you, you saved me from buying more un-needed parts, it was indeed the crankshaft pulley, all fitted and back to normal now! :) i have another question however, my reversing light does not work, thought it was the bulb, replaced and no change, however when reversing at my local shop i noticed it was on in the shopfront window, it has only come on approx 3 times that i knwo of since buying 6mths ago, do you have any idea what this could be?