ANY - CAR INSURANCE - stivvy

Is there any way to check whether a claim has ever been made on my daughter's insurance ? My reason for asking is that she has no recollection of any documentation regarding a minor off-road incident but because the other driver said he was making a claim she has always assumed a claim had been made, some 3 years ago now and declares accordingly on her renewals. She can't remember which insurance company held cover at the time of the incident.

ANY - CAR INSURANCE - belucky22

To my knowledge there could not have been a claim without your daughter being fully aware of it. It is possible that the other driver had a reason not to claim , e.g driving while uninsured is a possibility. He could also have later reflected the damage was so minor that it was not worth bothering about. Most insurance companies I know of are not interested more than 3 years later in any previous claim. Acting in good faith it would be quite reasonable for your daughter to believe no claim had been made. I ( and I'm cautious ) wouldn't think there had been a claim and forget about it.

ANY - CAR INSURANCE - stivvy

Many thanks for your response and comments. Now resolved as I managed to trace insurer who confirmed a claim for 750GBP was made Sept. 2010. Daughter still doesn't recall completing any documentation. Interesting development that at recent renewal she was specifically asked whether she had attended a Speed Awareness Course in addition to the usual questions. My understanding was that this was not relevant and not declarable.

ANY - CAR INSURANCE - belucky22

Your courtesy is appreciated. I am concerned that the insurer appears to have settled a claim without properly involving your daughter. Can you ask to see any documentation showing that your daughter was in agreement with their action ? if they haven't then I think they have acted incorrectly. I expect the Speed Awareness Course question has been put there to pick up any drivers who would otherwise have had points on the licence and have to pay a higher premium. Anyone taking the course will have been stopped by the police for speeding and be considered a higher risk. The onus now is on insurers to ask the right questions and I think it is a legitimate question.