Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Newid

Apologies if this isn't the right board, I wasn't sure.

I had an accident. The Police attended and my car was uplifted and recovered as it wasn't driveable.

Both the Policeman and the recovery driver said they thought the car would be written off by my insurance company as it's 10 years old and the damage to the front (bonnet/bumper/lights/radiator/side panels etc) is such that the cost to repair would be more than the car is worth.

The insurance company has arranged for it to be taken to their approved repairer and it will be assessed there.

Have I got any say at all as to whether the car is written off?

Do I have any options if they do write it off or do I just accept I'll get x amount and that's it?

Can anyone suggest a ballpark figure as to what the write off amount would be? Car is 10 years old with just under 70k on the clock and is a 1.4.

This is all new to me and I'm not sure of the process.

Thanks for any advice.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Chris M

Ask the Mods to move this to the Discussion section - you will get more responses.

Assuming the damage is confined to bolt on panels, I think your only option is to buy the car back from the insurance company and have it repaired privately. You may be able to source second hand parts in the right colour to avoid the cost of a respray.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Avant

Moved to Motoring, where you shoul get more responses.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Ordovices

If the car is a Cat C or D write off, you could offer to buy it back and have it repaired at your expense, not sure what thw rules are if it is a Cat A or B.

You need someone to assess whether it's worth doing though, things like replacing air bags etc can run quite dear. The insurance company will give you your settlement, less any outstanding dues (Excess, premiums and salvage value).

I have done this once with an old car whose history I new well and wanted to keep, the insurance settlement was around £2000 and they sold me the car for £400.

Cat C write offs have to have a Vehicle Identity Check carried out to establish that it is the same car, not just your old plates on a similar car! A new MoT will be needed too.

My daughter was recently caught out in what looks like a crash for cash scam, we played a bit of valuation ping pong with the insurance company, arguing that similar models couldn't be had for what they were offering. and the offer was substantially increased, but they made us wait, not good if you're short of cash and need a car.

Thanks for the replies (and for shifting the thread).

I've been told to expect the insurance company to only offer me around £500, which I'm amazed about.

I don't think I'd get a replacement car with the same spec for that.

Just need to wait till they get back to me. I didn't realise I could try to barter with them but I'll definitely be trying if that is all they are going to offer.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Rats

It might be worth putting the car details into one of the websites run by the outfits that buy cars, you will get a VERY rough estimate of the car's value and I emphasise on the VERY........but it can be amusing.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - Collos25

Find three cars for sale with similar age and milage on Autotrader take an average of the three and thats what you are entitled to ,if its way below that figure print the adverts out and send copies to your insurer bear in mind they will deduct any excess you may have.

Insurance assessors will take into conderation condition of tyres ,brake discs ,bodywork etc and whether they think the car has been looked after or not.

Edited by Collos25 on 22/04/2013 at 16:11

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - The Gingerous One

I had my car declared a 'total loss' last year and for reference, the insurance company concerned came back with a book value which took into account it's condition (they were aware I'd only just put 4 new quality tyres on it, garage must have told them).

Then they went on AutoTrader and picked out what was available in the broadly-similar price range within 40 miles from my house, same Make and model. I too was on AutoTrader whilst they were doing this.

They also pointed out that for £100 more than their valuation I could get a slightly newer car with less miles from one vendor...

However, that still didn't stop me from bringing up the new tyres that clearly I wouldn't be getting the advantage of, they wouldn't up the offer by the full cost but were prepared to go up by 2/3rd's of what I'd paid for the tyres.

Perhaps they agreed to do this because I offered to scan in & email all the invoices (about 9 of them) from all the services that had been done ?

The overall offer was fair, and I was happy with that. As they pointed out, there was at least 1 car that was newer with less miles for less than they gave me for my car.

Hope that helps ?

Stu

Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate the pointers.

Car has been declared a definite write off as repair cost is stated as £1800, just waiting for settlement figure from insurance company now.

I've done as advised, and printed out some examples of same model / same age / same spec replacement cars and they are anywhere between £1300 and £2000 (dealers) so I hope they offer a lot more than £500.

Am I expected to buy a cheaper replacement privately? I'd be worried about getting ripped off and having no comeback with a private seller. I know dealers mark up as they need to make a profit but at least I'd have some rights if I was sold a lemon.

Renault Clio - Do I have to accept car is a write off? - dacouch

The advice to print off adverts from autotrader and average them is not how an Insurer values a car.

They will value it using the price guides eg glasses or cap or Parkers, if the prices of these guides do not agree they will use the average of these.

They will not use the average of autotraders adverts because a) the prices vary so much b) the advertised prices are regarded as the starting price for negotiation.

Having said that, if there's a stalemate adverts from autotrader can be referred to but remeber the advertised prices are the price the seller wants to haggle from.