Peugeot 306 D Turbo HDI - Faulty electrics - garyc923

Afternoon. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before.

For the past six months when turning on the ignition all of the dials go to the maximum for a couple of seconds before settling back to normal. This has occured more frequently as time has gone by.

Yesterday my wife went to start the car and there wasnt enough life in the battery to turn the engine over quick enough. I then charged the battery and fired the car up no problem.

I have gone to start the car up again this morning and again, has turned over too slow to fire up.

It has been suggested that this maybe a dying battery which has caused the dials to go a bit mad.

The battery is less than 3 years old, is a sealed ac delco unit and is still showing green in the little window.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Peugeot 306 D Turbo HDI - Faulty electrics - Peter.N.

It could be the battery but first check that its charging properly, connect a meter across the battery with the engine running, it should read around 14.4 volts, much less and the alternator is likely faulty, if its OK it will be the battery unless something is running it down.

Peugeot 306 D Turbo HDI - Faulty electrics - Andrew-T

This sounds like what happens when the service indicator is reset? Can't do any harm to clean up the battery connections.

Peugeot 306 D Turbo HDI - Faulty electrics - garyc923

The problem ended up being a faulty battery, which was actually 3 1/2 years old having checked the receipt. I fully charged the battery off the car, left it overnight and fitted. The car wouldnt turnover as the battery wouldn't hold charge.

A new battery has now been fitted and car starts up fine without the dials going mad.

Thanks for the comments/assistance.