Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - sprayedconcrete

I have recently received a Parking Charge Notice for my car overstaying in a car park by 16 mins. Driver was either my wife or I, can't really remember as starting to get aged, or possible I drove in and she drove out or vice versa. Certainly my car.

Should I send a cheque for say £ 5 or ignore.

As I understand it they will pursue me as the registered keeper, given the changes in the law, but hey I've got not a lot to do these days so could either have fun and ignore their wild demands, or have fun and string em along.

I used to ignore the ones that company works vans used to pick up as we could never ever identify the driver and the demands would always go away.

In this case though I am not sure what to do. I might even like my 'Victor Meldrew' day in court.

Has anyone been through this since the change in law in October ?

Cheers.

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK the penalty notice is now the responsbility of the owner, regardless of who was driving, but is still unenforecable without a court case (I think). It is an invoice for a "service" or a breach of contract.

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - Bromptonaut

I suspect there's little real user experience since October for people to draw on.

One can certainly still play the string 'em along/ignore game. The uncertainty is that, with the keeper firmly in their sights, Parking Eye might be more bullish about issuing County Court summons than would have previously been case.

Once you get a summons you MUST either pay up or defend. Ignoring it will ensure judgement by default and a visit from the Bailiff.

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - FP

The OP may be aware of Pepipoo, but if not, a read of this page and a general dig-around on the site might provide some food for thought:

tinyurl.com/yedppln

In particular, this page involves a request for advice from someone clobbered by Parking Eye, though in circumstances different from the OP's:

tinyurl.com/bnx59ng

I notice the statement: "We are not advising to ignore them as they have become quite litigious."

Please note: I am not advising the OP to pay up, but am suggesting he researches the issue a bit more.

If he feels like contending it, there is this on Pepipoo, on another page, yet again about Parking Eye

tinyurl.com/ca6otoe

which includes a suggested draft letter.

Edited by FP on 09/04/2013 at 17:56

Many thanks for the responses.

Re Armitage Shanks, I am quite happy to take my time and wait for the County Court case, it could be fun.

Re Bromptonaut, I will certainly not ignore a summons, love to take em on.

Re FP, I will use the links to get further info.

To all, I will keep this thread posted as and when I get further communications, and to let people know the outcome.

Looking back on some of the demands received by the company I do work for, I note that these companies tend to threaten by wording their letters with phrases such as "MAY instruct solicitors" and " we have PROPOSED issuing County Court proceedings" and "IF judgment is obtained" (Van in car park for 12 hrs 23 mins). Other threat suchs as "MAY commence proceeding in County Court" and " a warrany MAY then be issued" (Van in McDonalds for 87 mins) seem to be used to frighten Joe Public.

Cheers

Update. I have sent off my letter based on the links provided asking for information regarding the right of PE to demand the money they are looking for. I will post again when I receive a reply to my questions, or if ignoring my letter I receive a further demand and threats.

Be brave.

Cheers

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - daveyjp
Parking Eye are getting quite letigious, but as they say in Dad's Army They don't like it up 'em. Show them you know the score and they go away. Worked for me.

Update. Parking Eye have sent another request for payment (demand), very similar to the first, apparently either ignoring my letter, or our correspondence crossed in the post. Being a reasonable man I will give them the benefit of the doubt before bringing their harrassment of myself into play.

I am thinking of replying drawing their attention to my first letter, asking they address the questions in that letter and pointing out that I do not expect my letter to be ignored.

Daveyjp, you won, does this sound like the way to go ?

Cheers

Update;

Now had a letter responding to my initial letter, basically saying that my letter contained a number of generic queries and referring me to their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) answers. Needless to say they consider the Law to be on their side and that the money they are asking for is not a penalty.

Before I respond, any Legal Eagles who can advise, please do. I wonder if Parking Eye's own Eagle monitors this forum and advises to pay.

I am not trying to avoid paying, I just do not wish to pay any more than a Court would consider reasonable.

If their FAQs don't address the issues you have written to them about, I suggest you stick to your guns.

As I understand it, the money they are asking for is technically damages based on breach of contract. If the amount is not a reasonable reflection of the "losses" they have sustained a court should not uphold the demand.

You may wish to post on Pepipoo for more detailed advice.

As to whether parking companies monitor forums such as this, I don't suppose anyone actually knows, but in this thread there doesn't seem to be any "stranger" or recently-joined member or infrequent contributor who is here just to persuade you to pay.

Edited by FP on 21/04/2013 at 12:50

No one at PE writes a letter in response to queries. All you will get is a generic response referring you to the FAQs. Hundreds have recived the same letter.

Get over to Pepipoo and do a search for Parking Eye. Plenty of recent cases including a few where PE have backed down once they know they may have to answer some probing questions.

in one case they backed down over an issue the motorist hadn't even raised, thats how tied up in knots they were and this was a way out for them without facing the music. Once dropped the motorist has no way of going further.

Thank you FPO and daveyjp.

I shall certainly review the pepipoo site and take advice from there.

Update will follow. Toodle Pip.

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - concrete

Thank you FPO and daveyjp.

I shall certainly review the pepipoo site and take advice from there.

Update will follow. Toodle Pip

Perhaps sprayedconcrete, you might enlighten us all if you string them along far enough. You may annoy them enough so they self destruct or tie themselves in knots. You know the old saying: the higher the monkey climbs the more he shows his a***. I admire your attitude and I am curious about the outcome. Still a huge grey area around this issue. Best of luck and support. Concrete

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - Peter Milne

I thought I should just chip in my penny's worth. Parking Eye sent me an "invoice" for overstaying my parking at the Beehive Centre in Cambridge (limit 3 hours) back in November of last year, with the new "guff" about my obligation to say who was driving. I haven't responded and all I had was another demand but nothing since. I think if they did take me to court they would have to demonstrate their financial loss. As parking is technically free for the first 3 hours, then their financial loss is nil as they wouldn't have charged anyone anyway. I will leave it another six months to see what happens. I think that if they were going to take me to court they should have done it within 60 days.

I thought I should just chip in my penny's worth. Parking Eye sent me an "invoice" for overstaying my parking at the Beehive Centre in Cambridge (limit 3 hours) back in November of last year, with the new "guff" about my obligation to say who was driving. I haven't responded and all I had was another demand but nothing since. I think if they did take me to court they would have to demonstrate their financial loss. As parking is technically free for the first 3 hours, then their financial loss is nil as they wouldn't have charged anyone anyway. I will leave it another six months to see what happens. I think that if they were going to take me to court they should have done it within 60 days.

Hello Peter, very interesting your situation. I wonder if, despite the new obligation, that it is still a big deal for them to take court action. As you point out so succinctly, there loss is nil so damages are irrelevant. Also I believe that in some cases the parking company cannot proceed against an offender because they do not own the land or need the permission of the landowner. Some landowners are not keen to pursue motorists who are their clients(shop renters) customers(parker). I think you are pretty safe after this length of time. Cheers Concrete

Update. Back from holiday with nothing further from PE.

Having been to Pepipoo site I have written asking with regard to a) is the claim brought under the law of contract or the tort of trespass. b) thier proprietory interest in the Aldi car park land. c) the amount claimed being an 'unlawful penalty and d) whether the amount claimed is a genuine pre-estimate of loss or damages caused by trespass.

I will update when I receive any further 'frightening and intimidating' demands (ie; harrassment)

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - rebecca1
I have just received a parking notice charge of £85 - £50 if paid within the next 14 days.
It was from the beehive centre last week.
Iam really angry that I have received this it was my first trip there and I was not aware that there was a limit on the parking time.
Out of interest did sprayedconcrete or anyone else get pursued for the parking charges by parking eye?

I am thinking of appealing......

Thanks
Rebecca1
Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - oldflyboy

As I understand it, if Parking Eye are contracted to a Council, then they are enforceable.

But if, say a supermarket, then send them a cheque for a fiver in full settlement.

I got caught out in Hawkshead, Cumbria last year even though I have a Blue Badge.

They wouldn't accept an appeal!!!!!

Had to pay the £60. Trying to register the Blue Badge this year to prevent the same happening again, and can only find a postal address to write to. Cumbria County Council

tell me they have no email address or phone number for this company, even though they are using them now.

Parking Eye make it very difficult to contact, unless they want money from you!

This will mean that we use Cumbria Car Parks as little as possible this year.

Update.

No further demands for payment from PE, no response to my letters, should they ever get in touch again I will ask the same questions.

Would advise anyone not to pay but ask them to prove they have the right to demand money.

Cheers all.

I'm not at all surprised. I'm still waiting for ACPOA to contact me regarding the ticket I had stuck on my windscreen in December. Correct that - I'm not really waiting - I don't think they will ever do so.

I doubt that you'll hear from Parking Eye again - they will go after easier prey.

No further contact from Parking Eye, they must have lost my file.

Another win for the little guy.

DO NOT PAY WITHOUT MAKING THEM EARN THEIR MONEY.

Toodle Pip, Sprayed Concrete

Sounds to me as if your case has been filed under "Too troublesome to continue", which reinforces one's view that these parking companies thrive on those too timid or too busy to take them on.

Parking Eye have 6 years to chase the alleged debt, they are filing hundreds of County Court claims a week. Week beginning July 8th they filed over 1,000.

Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean your case has hit the shredder. Keep all the paperwork as PE are the type of set up who will instigate claims many years after the event. The new POPLA system is costing them money and they need to plug the gap in revenues.

Edited by daveyjp on 30/08/2013 at 23:41

"...they are filing hundreds of County Court claims a week. Week beginning July 8th they filed over 1,000."

Potentially worrying. Have any of these cases been dealt with yet? Any found in PE's favour?

P.S. Came across this on another forum, in a thread about PE:

"My dad is a County Court judge and I was asking him about this new tactic that the ticket agencies seem to be employing and whether he had come across any in his court. He told me that he had seen a few cases where proceedings had been issued but that once the defendant filed a defence the companies hadn't taken the matter any further and had withdrawn the claim.

So it seems that they have just upped their threat level by another step but they are still falling short of actually pushing the case all the way through and actually testing the law."

Edited by FP on 31/08/2013 at 00:21

PE win some, generally poorly defended cases and they also lose a lot.

There is however something called the Cambridge case which was heard in small claims, so no precedent, which found in favour of Parking Eye.

It is generally seen as a perverse judges decision, made almost to prevent huge waves in an industry which puts over £5m into Govt coffers a year.

The judge did allow leave to appeal and the defendants are going down this route, so many months to wait before anything further is heard. What it does mean is if anyone gets PE court papers they can request the case be stayed until the appeal is heard.

Today's news regarding how Govt are to prevent Councils issuing tickets by post will no doubt also move on to include private parking companies and once it does the cheap (and flawed) way of them giving tickets will have gone.
PE win some, generally poorly defended cases and they also lose a lot. There is however something called the Cambridge case which was heard in small claims, so no precedent, which found in favour of Parking Eye. It is generally seen as a perverse judges decision, made almost to prevent huge waves in an industry which puts over £5m into Govt coffers a year. The judge did allow leave to appeal and the defendants are going down this route, so many months to wait before anything further is heard. What it does mean is if anyone gets PE court papers they can request the case be stayed until the appeal is heard. Today's news regarding how Govt are to prevent Councils issuing tickets by post will no doubt also move on to include private parking companies and once it does the cheap (and flawed) way of them giving tickets will have gone.

Very interesting news daveyjp. In my experience of the Small Claims Court the judge is always very fair and open to argument. If this is a 'peverse' judgement then the appeal may overturn it. The judges and magistrates at this level of the justice system surely have no axe to grind for the Government. Their cases do not set legal precedence so there is no incentive for them to rule against someone simply on the grounds of expediency. It was probably a poorly defended case and the vital evidence has been lost in the melee. Interesting though and we await the outcome. Well posted. Cheers Concrete.

Just an update, and another question.

No word from Parking Eye, now over 15 months from their invitation to pay them some abitrary amount. I am not losing sleep over it.

They have now installed a system at my Aldi car park whereby shoppers have to key in their registration number into a computer screen near the checkouts to be eligible for the 90 mins free parking.

It sounds a bit big brother ish, although I do comply. Anyone else seen this at their car park.

I am hoping to get a loyalty bonus from Aldi for being such a regular shopper !

Toodle Pip !

I personally would refuse to go to that Aldi ever again. PE systems are not up to the job and one time you will mistype, or their ANPR system will fail to recognise your car and you will end up with a ticket.

Also let the manager know you will be shopping elsewhere. Tot up how much you have spent so he is aware of his loss. Aldi facebook page is full of disgruntled customers who have received invoices for no reason.

Daily Mail cureently has its claws into the whole private parking company industry. Its a paper I wouldn't normally have any interest in, but this time they do appear to be causing waves which will be felt eventually, just as they were with clamping.
Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - TedCrilly

The sooner they impliment the system at my local Aldi the better. Sat/Sun afternoon you cant get near the car park. People abuse it constantly. Aldi are probably loosing more customers by not having the system than they are by having it. It is really such a difficulty for people? It can only be a matter of time before others jump on the bandwagon and we see such systems employed in more places where parking is limited.

But in saying that I can remember my old granny refusing to shop at Tesco.........because they made her put a pound coin in the trolly!!

I am just wondering. If I type my Reg No in, am I then agreeing to enter into a contract with PE and Aldi, so that they can legally get their loot if I stay over the 90 mins, without any chance of me winning the argument in terms of asking them to prove the loss to Aldi if it goes to court.

They could say, you agreed to the contract by entering your Reg No, so you have already accepted the £ 70 or whatever charge for overstaying. Not that I do overstay or plan to, but its the principle of the thing I disagree with.

If that is the case, say I do not enter my Reg No, get their ticket and then go through the letter rigmarole like last time, keeping my receipt of course to prove I did use the store and that Aldi did benefit from my visit to their car park and store.

By not entering my Reg No, am I simply saying that I do not agree to the Charge, or am I leaving myself open in law to them getting their loot, by virtue of not complying with their terms.?

Also understand PE is now owned by Crapita, Is that so? Cos they are useless in my experience of their work for the NHS.

Toodle Pip !

Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - TedCrilly

Not speaking for everyone but if I am going to park on someone elses land, even if its to spend money with them I follow their instructions, if thay say 90mins max than 90mins max it is. After all its only fair, not just on the land owners but on others who also may want to park there and use the store.

I guess if you are not happy,you can always use someone elses car park...even walk!

And who exactly spends 90 minutes in Aldi?!!!

"Who spends 90 minutes in Aldi?"

Maybe those who aren't as fortunate as you. The elderly, the infirm, the disabled.
Mercedes C220 - Parking Eye - Falkirk Bairn

>>"Who spends 90 minutes in Aldi?"

The people who bought £10 worth of groceries and then nipped into the Bank, Chemist in the High St, coffee shop etc to take advantage of the free parking and forgot thr time.

"I am just wondering. If I type my Reg No in, am I then agreeing to enter into a contract with PE and Aldi, so that they can legally get their loot if I stay over the 90 mins, without any chance of me winning the argument in terms of asking them to prove the loss to Aldi if it goes to court."

Interesting thought.

Without the entering of your regstration, the legal argument is normally that by passing the signs detailing the terms and conditions and continuing to park, you are deemed to have entered into a contract..

Some legal wrangling is then possible as to whether the signage was adequate.

I assume the entering of your registration details is intended to remove this issue, so that in court it might indeed be more difficult to argue that a valid contract was not entered into, but it does not avoid the matter of whether the payment demanded for breaking the supposed contract is a reasonable amount relating to actual losses caused, which in most cases is difficult for the parking company to prove, and remains so.

If you don't enter your registration details and you continue to park, you are possibly open to a charge of trespass, but I think that would put your legal position outside the normal arguments about parking. If you had not caused any nuisance it might make it harder for the parking company to act in law.

Thanks FP. Interesting as you say. Not sure I can be bothered to try not registering and seeing what happens. Lifes too short, especially at my age.

Re the 90 mins duration, I agree that the 'rules are the rules' and am a law-abiding person almost all of the time. (I did once get a ticket for 37 in a 30 mph road, but I honestly thought that dual carriageway was 40 mph).

However £ 70 for a small overstay is rediculous in my book, I was considering sending them a fiver, as in my very first post.

I promise to try and stay within their rules, honest !

Toodle Pip !