insurance claim - andy n
hi all my wifes car was recently involved in accident,(no third party involved)i have two questions arising from this 1/am i obliged to use my insurers "approved" repairer as ive had poor work performed by them in the past and i would prefer to use a local bmw approved body shop whom have a excellant local reputation , and secondly at what percentage of a vehicles value is it likely to be written off... 100% 80%?, any replies gratefully received.
insurance claim - Mark (RLBS)
Theoretically you are not compelled to use their approved repairer. However, it is a difficult argument to win.

The easiest way to avoid the issue is to use an approved repairer in another town.

However, to use an independent you will need to speak to the assessor. You will have to justify it, and you will have to ensure that it does not cost more. (bearing in mind that the insurer gets a discount from the approved repairer, that\'s not always easy). You will also need to justify how you believe it will be repaired properly.

In the first case I would speak to the assessor and just see how he reacts. If you get a flat no, then you probably won\'t win an extended disagreement in which case I would simply use a different approved repairer. However, you may well find him amenable, you\'ll just have to see.

There is no hard and fast rule for when a car is written-off, but if it is for purely financial reasons you\'ll normally find its around 60% of the value.

However, there are many reason why they may not repair it - parts not available, car too old or rusty to be repaired properly, safety issues etc.

If I was you, I\'d simply use a different recommended repairer.
insurance claim - stevieg
See my thread re write of values
I was quoted 60% of value by ESURE but my repairs are 88% and they still want to repair as I would rather have the car written off. The approved garage stated that some insurance companies repair at 90/95%.

SteveiG