What would I choose - davecooper

I got asked the usual hypothetical question recently, namely, if I could have any car I wanted, what would I have? However, the proviso was that once I was given it, I had to run it as my only car for a few years. Now, with all the will in the world, exotics are out. I have a clutch of Grandchildren (car seats), infirm parents, a car pool of four big adults. I do a lot of DIY so trips to the tip and DIY sheds are regular occurrences. I am also a keen cyclist so the car needs to become a workshop some weekends so back seats have to come out.

This all boils down to the obvious car for me being an MPV (which I am buying next incidentally). However, given the fact that money is no object in this exercise, are there any expensive MPV's out there. It would seem a shame to have to settle for a 30 grand Ford Galaxy when under different circumstances you could choose a 200 grand Aston etc.

Like a say, a bit of fun but it poses the question, is there a market for luxury MPV's?

What would I choose - balleballe

If I had to pay for maintenance it would put me off a prestige motor.

I'd take the BMW X6, thankyou very much

What would I choose - madf

Porsche 4x4..

Practical but also sporty...Also upmarket.

What would I choose - daveyjp
There is a market and MB fill it for the few who want them, an R class. I noticed Belgian taxi drivers seem to like them. As does our newsagent who regularly has it full of children or cash and carry purchases.

Edited by daveyjp on 27/03/2013 at 16:42

What would I choose - Happy Blue!

This is a very good question.

Once you get above the £35,000 bracket of the top of the range MPVs (which are all mainstream brands) the only way to get 6+ seats is to go into the 'prestige' SUV territory.

Audi Q7 is another example. If I don't need the 4x4 bit, why fit it, give me more space, less weight and better economy.

What would I choose - gordonbennet

Ah choice of new car but i've got to foot the bills for running costs mainly fuel and service/repairs.

Got to be a Toyota for fair servicing costs reliability and back up, nothing German if it has to be kept out of warranty.

I'll take the Landcruiser 200 Amazon then, in dark green please, thankyou.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/03/2013 at 21:00

What would I choose - Avant

I know this is cheating - but I just wouldn't do it that way.

I'd have an expensive convertible - probably an Audi R8 Spider - but keep my Octavia vRS estate (or have a similarly-priced MPV if I needed one).