Interest free - SLO76
As much as I like cars and motoring I’m struggling remember the last car I had a serious want for, something I really hankered after. Is it just age? Do we all lose interest as we get older or have cars become soulless machines filled with unnecessary gadgets and lacking in any real joy?

I’ve always liked hot hatches, ask me what my favourite car is at almost any point in my life and a fun to drive yet useful family hot hatch of some sort would pop to mind immediately. Peugeot 306 GTi-6, Citroen ZX Volcane, Renault 19 16v, Renault Clio 16v, Honda Civic Type R EP3, Peugeot 205 GTi, Metro GTi were all a hoot on a twisty B road yet affordable to ordinary folks like me. They weren’t over endowed with too much power, they didn’t come with feel sapping electric steering racks that sucked the fun out of driving. They were usable, fun and practical. They generated a smile on your face.

Ask that question today and I’m at a loss to answer it, I really can’t think of a single car I really lust after. I mean I respect many modern cars, I like my C Class estate and same goes for our Nissan Leaf, both are very efficient and surprisingly quick but I’ve no real interest in them, I won’t be found out in the garage polishing them every other night like my dad did with his long line of interesting cars while I was growing up and I don’t just go out for drive for the sake of it anymore. They’re appliances.

Hot hatches today are overpowered, ludicrously overpriced and unattainable for ordinary people. A Type R Honda Civic comes in at almost £50k, a fast A class Merc is over £60k! There is no real world hot hatch offerings left. SAIC make a stupidly fast electric MG4, but it’s absolutely numb to drive as per the norm with EV’s, fast but no fun in the twists where a good hot hatch should shine, outright speed had nothing to do with it.

I think the last car I really fancied was my neighbours bright red Fiat 500 Arbath, but it’s a bit too small to work for us even as a second car. Beyond that I’m drifting back to the early naughties or even the 90’s. I’ve driven a recent Golf GTi and found it no fun at all. Very efficient, quick and refined but it just wasn’t fun.

Bring back the fun. Even car adverts and motor shows are largely gone, cars are a financial product you rent to get you from A to B as dispassionately as possible. They don’t stir the soul. Maybe I need to finally get my bike license.

If asked today what your favourite current car is what would be your answer? I have none to give, no recent cars give me the fizz (as James May says) nothing stirs me at all. I don’t even think they still make the Fiat 500 Arbath petrol with a manual box, I believe it’s an EV shopping trolly now sadly. I’ve so little interest I don’t even add to my huge collection of What Car and Autocar mags, nothing of interest ever provokes me enough to buy a copy.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/05/2024 at 14:11

Interest free - nellyjak

Pretty much feel the same, SLO...probably why I keep my V6 Estima after 8 years...utterly reliable, comfortable and simply keeps doing what it should...no hassle.

If you asked me what I'd swap it for...I wouldn't have a clue.

Like you, the very soul of motoring seems to have evaporated. Maybe it's simply ageing.?

I guess I'm now a petrolhead that doesn't care too much for cars...lol

Interest free - SLO76
That’s partly why I kept the old Toyota so long, nothing really floats my boat. Not that it was bought with excitement in mind to be fair, but I was cheap. It’s replacement is much less cheap but stir my soul it does not, neither did anything else I could find under £18k, or above to be honest and I found the process of visiting dealers utterly depressing.

I used to enjoy car shopping, but today it’s like shopping for white goods and financial products. Of the dozens of sales staff I spoke to over the last 6mths or so I think I met one old school salesman who actually liked and knew about cars. The rest were overwhelmingly kids who didn’t know one end of a car from the other. They just wanted to flog you GAP insurance and a PCP.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/05/2024 at 15:00

Interest free - Adampr

I think it's probably down to the improvements in reliability and safety. A car without ABS or traction control would be lambasted in the press, given a 1 start NCAP sore and be labelled dangerous by Which. A car that that couldn't always be expected to start on a cold morning would be ridiculed for being unreliable. Reliable starting means electronic stuff, which saps character. Safety equipment kicks long before a situation becomes dangerous, meaning there is no margin to drive on, or even close to, any more.

I think there is still fun to be had but people are less willing to compromise these days. A Mini is great fun, but very impractical. My nearly 80 year old dad has an Alpine A110 and absolutely loves it (a lot more than the Ferrari 360 and especially the Porsche Cayman he has had before).

You want to go round corners for not too much money, you can buy an MX5. You can buy a Fabia 1.0 TSI if you want 0-60 performance. An Up GTI will give you the 'old school hot hatch, experience. Or, as you say, an Abarth if you just want to be a hoon.

Interest free - SLO76
Yeah, all the safety gear adds weight and artificial feel. But for the tiny improvement in economy it brings I don’t want the numbness an electric steering rack brings over hydraulic. I want a simple manual gearbox and I want just enough power to be fun on the road. Many of the hot hatches I hankered after had at least ABS from the early 90’s on.

Someone hurry and invent the Time Machine so that I can get my fix.

Good call on the UP! GTi , I do like these but I believe VW has stopped making them too. The Alpine is one I forgot, there’s one locally driven by an older gent and it is very appealing. Sadly hampered by a flappy paddle automatic gearbox if I’m right in saying. I think Renault should’ve aimed this more mainstream to bolster the brand image. A bit less power, a good six speed manual box and a less insane price tag would’ve seen them sell in far greater numbers, But you have reminded me of a car that’s still in production that I really fancy, the Alpine.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/05/2024 at 15:19

Interest free - Adampr

Correct, the Alpine uses a 7 speed DCT (Getrag, also used in BMW/Mini).

Interest free - De Sisti

I just want a car to be reliable. Despite my pensionable age, I have only ever owned six cars. I tend to keep them for as long as possible. My current car (BMW 320d Touring) has been reliable during the 12 years of ownership. As was its predecessor (SEAT Arosa), which I held onto for 11 years.

Interest free - gordonbennet

The only cars of any interest to me now tend to be from Japan and typically ageing JDM models, i'd love a late model Imprezza but with the auto box but given the state of our roads and the suspension found on a such a Subaru the Landcruiser is the better bet.

I still like the real Ford Mustangs of a few years ago, but i'd look a right fool in one, talk about mid and later life crises.

If i had unlimited funds a 2018 on Toyota Century would be on my drive, not to been seen out in it as such but its probably the most handsome car made in the last 20 years, i could gaze at one for ever, same with the Mercedes W124 E500.

There's literally nothing made in Europe in the last 10 years i would give you a thankyou for.

Interest free - Alby Back
It’s not the car you make the journeys in, it’s the what you do when you get there. Some of the best road trips of my life have been in the most mundane cars of my life. The “fun” cars I’ve had were great for a while, but pretty soon they just became “the car”.
Interest free - Oli rag

I think the Suzuki swift sport that has just gone out of production, was the last of the affordable old style hot hatches.

Interest free - Steveieb

I really miss my invites to Company Car in Action where you could spend the day trying out all the various models from most of the manufacturers.

In the past the cars that gave me the buzz were the Subaru Impreza , Honda Civic R and Honda S2000. Especially on the alpine circuit.

But surprisingly out of all the modern cars it was the humble Volkswagen Golf GTD that impressed the most by offering old style diesel punch low down and nimble handling.

looking back on older cars that still look great, my vote goes to the Mk 2 Audi 80 and Mk1 TT, not forgetting the NSU RO 80 in those never to be repeated colours .

Interest free - RickyBoy

I really miss my invites to Company Car in Action where you could spend the day trying out all the various models from most of the manufacturers.

Back in the day I received (or applied to) invites for test-drive days with Lexus and Audi, although at the time I had no intention of buying one (I owned Skoda Octavia vRS's). They were usually held at stately homes or NT properties and you could generally tool around in any model in the whole range throughout the day on a 30-45min pre-determined route. They certainly don't seem to happen these days.

I kept the two Octavia's for 8 and 12 years respectively then switched to an A3 Sportback for 4 then my current Sportback which recently turned 6 having covered just 28,000!

All bought new, all petrol, all bought after a good deal of serious haggling to achieve what I believed to be reasonable discounts! All bought for cash or cheap rate bank loans – not PCPs.

The 'game' has obviously changed in recent times. Discounts are rare, 0% finance deals (I've enjoyed a couple) are a rarity. Personal bank loans currently around 6-6.5% and Audi (for example) PCPs close to 9%!

So, what's my point... there's little incentive or I'm losing the enthusiasm to negotiate/strike a deal, so I'll probably stick with the current motor for another 4-years? I didn't like what they did to the next generation (after my 18-plate) Sportback but I quite like to look of the soon to be launched 2025 variant, then again I like the look of some Skoda's, Hyundai's & Mazda's, but with two grandkids now regularly cleaning their muddy school shoes on the back of my seats is it worth it, however, that usually happens in the rear of our 2.5-year old Hyundai i10 Premium :–)

I'm always looking at 'new stuff' in the supermarket car parks, etc. and there are some really good (on the eye) motors out there today. but with the unlikelihood of being able to buy new at the price I want to pay I let the desire pass by... :–(

Interest free - SLO76

I think the Suzuki swift sport that has just gone out of production, was the last of the affordable old style hot hatches.

Swift Sport was a good car, another sad loss that’s unlikely to be repeated in any affordable fun way.
Interest free - John F
. If asked today what your favourite current car is what would be your answer?

Rolls Royce Spectre. Is there anyhting better?

Interest free - SLO76

Rolls Royce Spectre. Is there anyhting better?

Very posh taste John.
Interest free - groaver

I drive a CX-5 week days.

Comfortable and nice to sit in but roly and heavy in corners

At weekends (when swmbo) isn't driving it, the MX-5 is a relative revelation.

I also always enjoy washing and waxing the MX too as its curves always look great when shining.

Very, very little interests me, new car-wise.

Interest free - John F

Rolls Royce Spectre. Is there anything better?

Very posh taste John.

Perhaps you should have asked what's your favourite best value for money car? In which case I would have naturally suggested my own 'poor man's Bentley' (a 2005 Audi W12 SWB sport quattro)

Interest free - Catfood

I guess you have lived through the best motoring 3 decades of the century….70’s, 80’s and 90’s when almost every manufacturer made their own interesting cars with unique offering….yet you can repair it by yourself when things go wrong. British, French, German, Italian and Japanese developed interesting with individual car nothing shared between them. Every year, they come up with new technology, some are great and some are odd. Sadly, they are now owned and operates under the same group with shared platform, engine etc

Interest free - SLO76

I guess you have lived through the best motoring 3 decades of the century….70’s, 80’s and 90’s when almost every manufacturer made their own interesting cars with unique offering….yet you can repair it by yourself when things go wrong. British, French, German, Italian and Japanese developed interesting with individual car nothing shared between them. Every year, they come up with new technology, some are great and some are odd. Sadly, they are now owned and operates under the same group with shared platform, engine etc

Glad I was born when I was. I got to see and experience many of the greats. From 205 GTi to V12 Jags and Impreza turbos, I’ve driven and lusted over loads of fantastic cars over the years, that is now dead in me. I simply don’t desire anything in current production.
Interest free - gordonbennet

Agree with you both, car design for normal people like us interested in cars and able to maintain our own peaked in the 90's, some makes and models still available well into the noughties from some conservative Japanese makes in particular refusing to fix what wasn't broken until what came next could be proved beyond doubt.

We would and will have a modern car when the old ones we currently run are beyond saving (almost certainly a Toyota hybrid), though in the case of the Landcruiser there's a fair chance i'll peg it before the vehicle does.

edit, Ian_SW is in good company here too, why people boast about never washing their car let alone looking after it mechanically just does not compute, is it the poor mans version of showing to the rest on the housing estate that you are too well heeled/important/busy to be bothered with such menial tasks.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/05/2024 at 09:46

Interest free - Andrew-T

<< I simply don’t desire anything in current production. >>

You aren't expected to, SLO. Cars now are boxes with too many safety and gimmicky features, which will soon (allegedly) take you anywhere with very little input from you.

Interest free - Ian_SW

If I had enough money, I'd happily buy a brand new Morgan Plus 4 as something to enjoy on a nice day rather than buying a car merely as a tool. It wouldn't be particularly practical as day to day transport though. Equally with both the time and money I'd have something for racing or rallying and enjoy that as a (very expensive) hobby.

Even if money were no object, I see the vast majority of both sports / super cars and also luxury vehicles as pretty dull and soulless too. They seem more for showing off that you are Loadsamoney rather than anything else.

Much as I find the noise of hundreds of them heading up into dales on a sunny weekend annoying, motorbikes are the one area where something interesting is still affordable to "ordinary" people.

The other thing which I don't get is that it has somehow become deeply unfashionable to bother looking after a car. People who spend a bit of time looking after an ordinary car are now seen as a bit wierd. Even just giving your car a quick wash and hoover on a Sunday afternoon seems to have been conflated with the really obsessive car cleaning people who spend hours cleaning every bit of dirt out of the engine bay and polishing the washer fluid bottle.

Cleaning your car seems to have become seen as either a necessity you pay someone else to do, or something which you actively avoid and take a wierd pride in having the car a complete tip because you don't like cars.

Fortunately I've never been one for caring about being fashionable, so I'll just carry on keeping my very ordinary car looking good and a pleasant place to sit inside by cleaning it every few weeks......

Interest free - sajid

Cars are like appliances white goods, when u getting older ur interest in cars die out, I got myself a yaris 15 plate dare I say deisel a very basic car, but with a 1 4 deisel turbo engine the same one found in the auris, it's around a sec quicker and faster due to its light body.

it's the pace of life other things demand your attention, you got family work colleague even spending time on the mobile phone.

I done a motor mechanic course at the local college passed the level 2 imi I recommend it, as I done diy on my yaris saving money.

If u remember the 80s the word gti was the ultimate car. The cars in the 80s were recognisable by the manufacturer., Peugeot 205, 309, fiesta xr2 golf gti iconic shapes

Interest free - Catfood

The other thing which I don't get is that it has somehow become deeply unfashionable to bother looking after a car. People who spend a bit of time looking after an ordinary car are now seen as a bit wierd. Even just giving your car a quick wash and hoover on a Sunday afternoon seems to have been conflated with the really obsessive car cleaning people who spend hours cleaning every bit of dirt out of the engine bay and polishing the washer fluid bottle.

Cleaning your car seems to have become seen as either a necessity you pay someone else to do, or something which you actively avoid and take a wierd pride in having the car a complete tip because you don't like cars.

It’s just pure laziness and the rise of PCP and thus take no ownership….why bother spending money on something I don’t own mentality…..

Interest free - Adampr

I love cars, I own mine outright and I never clean them. What a ridiculous waste of time. I don't pressure wash the bricks.on my house either. Are they a complete tip? No, because.I don't use them as a bin. Anything that goes in comes back out again at the end of a trip. If I get mud in there I'll hoover it out again but otherwise there is nothing that makes it dirty inside and the outside is exposed to the weather anyway.

Interest free - Terry W

In the good old days cars offered very different qualities - speed, handling, comfort, quality, mpg, etc. Clear national differences influenced design characteristics. None could satisfy all requirements - owners needed to prioritise qualities they valued.

An E-type Jag under optimum conditions did 150mph and 0-60 in ~7 secs - a level of performance easily matched by a moderately endowed family hatch today.

Buyers no longer really need to prioritise. A £25k (new) car can deliver all that 98% of motoring public need or are capable of using. Spending 4 times as much buys little more usable functionality - just a few more gizmos and a bit of carbon fibre!

Cars are designed and manufactured using similar techniques to meet the needs of as many international markets as possible. That the end products are almost indistinguishable is unsurprising.

Driving pleasure arises from the belief that ones input into the process makes a real difference. This would only be the case if cars performed less well than they do - and what intelligent manufacturers is going to build cars with known inadequacies.

Interest free - alan1302

Buyers no longer really need to prioritise. A £25k (new) car can deliver all that 98% of motoring public need or are capable of using. Spending 4 times as much buys little more usable functionality - just a few more gizmos and a bit of carbon fibre!

It's kind of strange that what makes cars less interesting is that they can be built so well now and do so much for a relatively cost overall.

Interest free - corax
Much as I find the noise of hundreds of them heading up into dales on a sunny weekend annoying, motorbikes are the one area where something interesting is still affordable to "ordinary" people.

Yes, I'm not a biker, but I can see that there is still a lot of interest around motorbikes. Many manufacturers, engine configurations, styles. And all topped by the unbanned TT.

Cars just leave me cold these days. And it's not just an age thing. There is nothing to stir the soul. That era of style and individuality is over.

Interest free - FP

"...motorbikes are the one area where something interesting is still affordable to 'ordinary' people."

Maybe not for much longer.

"The sale of new petrol-fuelled motorcycles is set to be banned from 2040, under plans due to be announced by ministers as part of the Government’s net zero crackdown." (www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/sales-of-new-petrol-mo...1)

Interest free - Big John

If I had enough money, I'd happily buy a brand new Morgan Plus 4 as something to enjoy on a nice day rather than buying a car merely as a tool. It wouldn't be particularly practical as day to day transport though.

Funnily enough we kind of thought we could just about afford a new Bobby basic one a few years ago when we did the factory tour. At the end there was a new car sat there which was a prize and not for sitting in - we must have shown too much of an interest in it as suddenly we were invited to sit in it. Bubble burst seconds later when I realised I could only push the clutch down on entry and release on exit - my fault I'm tooo big.

Actually my favorite car of all time was rather slow - I restored a 1961 Moggy Minor 948cc a few years (er decades) ago. I also had a company car then as well but I loved using "Alf" when not working as I was sick of being in my company car (65k miles a year then!). I did a surprisingly long distances in the Moggy and bar the usual SU electric fuel pump issue it was remarkably reliable. No power steering or servo brakes and drums all round but everything was in good order. Clearly not great on the motorway but it was great fun on country lanes. Rose tinted glasses probably but compared to my bland 1.3 mkIII Escort it was a tonic to the system.

Favorite "normal" car was a Saab 9000cs turbo.

Edited by Big John on 13/05/2024 at 22:48

Interest free - Ex Alfa mail

May I suggest those who miss the passing of truly exciting small hatchbacks try a Yaris GR. I can honestly say I simply love the performance of this car. Those brought up on 205 GTIs will recognise the experience, albeit brought up to date with modern technology. This is the car that I find excuses to drive, even volunteering to fetch visitors from our local station. And it's a Toyota...

Edited by Ex Alfa mail on 14/05/2024 at 05:49

Interest free - SLO76

May I suggest those who miss the passing of truly exciting small hatchbacks try a Yaris GR. I can honestly say I simply love the performance of this car. Those brought up on 205 GTIs will recognise the experience, albeit brought up to date with modern technology. This is the car that I find excuses to drive, even volunteering to fetch visitors from our local station. And it's a Toyota...

A brilliant car, but Toyota have priced it outwith reality in its latest form sadly. They start at £45,000 and go beyond £60,000 depending on specification. This kills the love for me.
Interest free - Ex Alfa mail

Without wishing to disagree. I bought my GR in December (23) and it was specced with the Circuit Pack, Pearlescent paint, and a few other goodies and it came in around £38,000. That's not an outrageous premium over a well specced Yaris. I'm told by people who know more than I do that the additional parts (especially wheels and underpinnings) are high quality (and expensive). Hence my personal view is that the value is actually there. A financially astute friend reckons it is priced in line with a Golf GTI from its glory days when adjusted for purchasing power. Returning to your original point though, this is a car that does bring back the joy of driving almost irrespective of the journey. Life is short...

Edited by Ex Alfa mail on 14/05/2024 at 15:07

Interest free - SLO76
Again a brilliant car, one I do like but the list price now is £45-£60k and that makes it a rich persons toy rather than an affordable hot hatch for the masses, even at £38k it was hugely expensive in my opinion. If manufacturers weren’t punished for selling them then a lower spec 2wd model that looked similar but cost under £25k would be popular. If my lottery numbers come in however I’ll make sure there’s room in my garage for one.
Interest free - tim10597

I’m exactly same. Grew up around cars, nothing flash, always bread and butter cars. But they interested me and since I’ve been old enough to drive, I’ve gone through a significant number of them. But I’m not excited by them at all any more. Will I change my current car after 2 years, which is what I’ve typically done because I enjoy driving different cars? Maybe. But will I be excited about changing it? Probably not if I’m honest. And nothing really grabs my interest enough to get excited about changing it. And the more I see of electric cars, which I have nothing against, the more I look at their size, bulk and design and think to myself, is that the best design that people can come up with.

Interest free - Stackman II

I have read the Autocar for as long as I can remember, starting with my Dad's copy in my teens, so more than 40 years. I have just rang them up and cancelled my subscription.

When asked why I said that there were only so many electric SUV's I could get excited about.

I love the technical side of cars, from an academic point of view rather than getting my hands dirty, but electric vehices leave me cold. Getting 600hp from a petrol engine takes some skill and art. A 600hp electric motor just needs more windings!

I have driven a few new cars recently and they were all extremely competent but anodine.

I could appreciate the technology of the Kia Sportage hybrid and how seamlessly it managed the complicated drivetrain and could see the appeal but at the end of the day it felt like an appliance.

Interest free - Catfood

I was actually thinking only if the consumer has a choice of fitting/picking/tuning up the motor, gear ratio, suspension damper setting, battery just like RC cars (toys) then it could be fun to have EV car.....