Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - argybargy

Morning all

This week marks the 6th anniversary of the purchase of our lovely 2013 Jazz. After several false starts, some of them aired on this very discussion forum, its time for a change. Our car's increasingly lumpy ride ( its had new front suspension arms and front tyres recently, but still hits the potholes hard) is giving my wife's back problems some serious gyp, so its time to look for something softer. And bigger, too.

I've only one alternative model in mind at the moment, mainly because I can't afford anything else. And that's the Nissan Juke. According to Autotrader, a decent-looking 2019 model can be bought for between 9 and 10 grand, which would be affordable if a) we can achieve a decent part-ex for our Jazz and b) if I can save the rest (because I won't be taking out finance). I'm about two thirds of the way to the savings target and barring emergencies, expect to be in a position to buy around May.

So, any info, criticism, praise or otherwise for the Nissan Juke would be appreciated.

TIA

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - badbusdriver

Well the Juke, and Nissan's in general (of that age) are not renowned for being particularly reliable. In addition, the Juke also known for having a fairly harsh ride, though to what degree will vary depending on what wheel/tyre size is fitted (the bigger diameter and lower profile, the worse the ride). But overall, really not a great choice!.

Out of curiosity, what size tyres are on your Jazz?. If it is a higher spec, it will have fairly low profile tyres. So doing as Engineer Andy did on his Mazda 3 and fitting a smaller wheel with taller profile tyre (as on a lower spec Jazz) may work wonders.

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - elekie&a/c doctor
Poor boot space , unreliable engines and automatic is best avoided because of continuous problems. Why would you want one ?
Poor boot space , unreliable engines and automatic is best avoided because of continuous problems. Why would you want one ?

Well if they're that bad, then obviously I wouldn't want one. I once failed to follow advice about the Powershift gearbox, and look where that got me. Hence posting here to invite opinions.

The Mazda CX3 cropped up on another thread recently and one of them would certainly be within budget. Mazda do (refreshingly) tend to shy away from very low profile tyres and I believe the ride is pretty decent anyway, so maybe worth a look. Not particularly spacious compared to a Jazz though (neither is the Juke), especially re rear seat.

While not a trendy SUV/Crossover, it may also be worth looking at the Kia Venga and sister car, the Hyundai ix20. Barely any longer than a Jazz, but very spacious due to its height.

You may also want to look at something specifically comfort orientated, such as Citroens. £10k is enough to get into a facelfifted (2018 on) C4 Cactus with the 110bhp 1.2 turbo petrol. This was one of the first to get the benefit of Citroen's clever hydraulic "bump stops" on the suspension, along with dual density foam for the seats. That, along with extra sound deadening apparently makes it a very pleasant place to sit. Reliability isn't going to be on a par with the Jazz but shouldn't be too bad. Puretech engine issues should also have been ironed out by then.

But for a decent ride quality in general, you want to steer away from anything of a sporty trim. As well as the likelihood of very low profile tyres, the suspension itself may well be stiffer. Also, having as long a wheelbase (distance between front and rear wheels) as possible relative to the size of the car, improves ride comfort.

The Mazda CX3 cropped up on another thread recently and one of them would certainly be within budget. Mazda do (refreshingly) tend to shy away from very low profile tyres and I believe the ride is pretty decent anyway, so maybe worth a look. Not particularly spacious compared to a Jazz though (neither is the Juke), especially re rear seat.

While not a trendy SUV/Crossover, it may also be worth looking at the Kia Venga and sister car, the Hyundai ix20. Barely any longer than a Jazz, but very spacious due to its height.

You may also want to look at something specifically comfort orientated, such as Citroens. £10k is enough to get into a facelfifted (2018 on) C4 Cactus with the 110bhp 1.2 turbo petrol. This was one of the first to get the benefit of Citroen's clever hydraulic "bump stops" on the suspension, along with dual density foam for the seats. That, along with extra sound deadening apparently makes it a very pleasant place to sit. Reliability isn't going to be on a par with the Jazz but shouldn't be too bad. Puretech engine issues should also have been ironed out by then.

But for a decent ride quality in general, you want to steer away from anything of a sporty trim. As well as the likelihood of very low profile tyres, the suspension itself may well be stiffer. Also, having as long a wheelbase (distance between front and rear wheels) as possible relative to the size of the car, improves ride comfort.

Thanks for those suggestions, BBD. I believe the Kia Venga is heavy on the juice, but I'll certainly have a look at the Citroen, the Hyundai and the Mazda. My brother has a Mazda 6 and he loves it.

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - Engineer Andy

Thanks for those suggestions, BBD. I believe the Kia Venga is heavy on the juice, but I'll certainly have a look at the Citroen, the Hyundai and the Mazda. My brother has a Mazda 6 and he loves it.

You can get CX-3s shod on either 215/60 R16 tyres for the SE to SE-L Nav models, or 215/50 R18 for the Sport versions. Even the 18in one isn't that bad and essentially the equivalent of my aged Mazda3's 205/55 R16 OEMs in terms of tyre sidewall height; the 16in one a bit more than the current Mazda3 (205/60 R16) and my car's replacement wheel-tyre combo at 195/65 R15.

The CX-3 in SE-L or SE-L Nav form is a good value for money car, the SE is fine too if you don't need a long spec list, but that means in 2L petrol form, where you should get 45mpg average for the manual and about 40 for the auto.

Whilst Mazda diesels (1.5TD for most of the CX-3's life) don't have a good rep, they did put a 1.8TD in the car like the latest Mazda3 for a very short time before the CX-3 was withdrawn from sale in the UK. Not sure why that unit cam and went, no actual adverse reports, maybe more a sales thing. Lots of 1.5 diesel and Sport CX-3s about, as I suspect the SE-L models are cherished more by owners.

Interior space is a bit limited (it's based on the 2 generally), boot space ok, but not anywhere near as versatile as the Jazz. CX-3 Much better as a driver's car though. Few bargains around for some reason. You could often get a Mazda3 (which will have a bit more kit and goes a bit quicker for most models except the auto, as it has a better cd figure) for less.

If you intend to but one and wish get it maintained at a main dealer, do as much homework as you can on all the accessible local ones, as in my experience from the Mazda3 owners' forum, dealers can be highly variable in quality (like Ford, in my view) in terms of post sales.

Well the Juke, and Nissan's in general (of that age) are not renowned for being particularly reliable. In addition, the Juke also known for having a fairly harsh ride, though to what degree will vary depending on what wheel/tyre size is fitted (the bigger diameter and lower profile, the worse the ride). But overall, really not a great choice!.

Out of curiosity, what size tyres are on your Jazz?. If it is a higher spec, it will have fairly low profile tyres. So doing as Engineer Andy did on his Mazda 3 and fitting a smaller wheel with taller profile tyre (as on a lower spec Jazz) may work wonders.

Our Jazz is the entry level ES spec, and the tyres are 175/65s. So not low profile.

I'm prepared to be dissuaded against the Juke, by the way, only real reason for it being in the frame being that the price is right, and that we once had a Nissan Primera.

I believe the Kia Venga is heavy on the juice

The automatic version of both the Venga and ix20 are known to be pretty thirsty, especially pre facelift cars with a 4 speed auto (after which, the auto was 6 speed), but the manuals shouldn't be especially so. The 1.4 petrol has 90bhp, the 1.6 has 125bhp, so given you weren't overly enamoured by the performance of your (99bhp) Jazz, I'd look for the latter.

Is it an automatic you are looking for?. I know you mentioned the Powershift, but I seem to recall your Jazz being a manual.

Our Jazz is the entry level ES spec, and the tyres are 175/65s. So not low profile.

I'm surprised at what you are finding on those tyres, makes me wonder if there is something else going on?. Jazz's aren't known to be the cushiest riding supermini, but nor are they the worst.

Might also be worth having a test drive (with your wife of course) in a 3rd gen Jazz, the one ofter yours, circa 2015 on. These supposedly do have a better ride than earlier cars, so sticking to S or SE trim, your wife may find one of these more palatable. Also has the benefit of being extremely reliable (as is the Mazda CX3 mentioned earlier).

Another car worth considering is the Toyota Yaris. Similar in size to the Jazz but neither (quite) as spacious or flexible. Very reliable though, and usually considered to have a better ride than a Jazz. If manual, a 1.5 (non hybrid) petrol would be a fine choice and would have a bit more pep than your Jazz. If you are thinking of an auto, then either the auto version of the same engine, or a hybrid (which will give much better economy in urban running, but not quite so happy at motorway speeds).

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - KB.

Is a Dacia Duster out of the question?

I only say that because they apparently deal with potholes better than some (most?) and are quite soft riding with those sensible tyres it comes with.

I shall go and look at the new one when it comes out later this year. but in the meantime the current model must be readily available in showrooms to go and have a look at.

Edited by KB. on 30/01/2024 at 12:45

Is a Dacia Duster out of the question?

I only say that because they apparently deal with potholes better than some (most?) and are quite soft riding with those sensible tyres it comes with.

I shall go and look at the new one when it comes out later this year. but in the meantime the current model must be readily available in showrooms to go and have a look at.

No, not out of the question at all. I'm not enamoured of the Duster's looks, but without further research I think I'm on safe ground in believing that prices are reasonable. If I can save up enough cash before the cacophony from the passenger seat becomes unignorable I'll have a CX3, but if not then the Duster will be in the frame.

I believe the Kia Venga is heavy on the juice

The automatic version of both the Venga and ix20 are known to be pretty thirsty, especially pre facelift cars with a 4 speed auto (after which, the auto was 6 speed), but the manuals shouldn't be especially so. The 1.4 petrol has 90bhp, the 1.6 has 125bhp, so given you weren't overly enamoured by the performance of your (99bhp) Jazz, I'd look for the latter.

Is it an automatic you are looking for?. I know you mentioned the Powershift, but I seem to recall your Jazz being a manual.

I'm surprised at what you are finding on those tyres, makes me wonder if there is something else going on?. Jazz's aren't known to be the cushiest riding supermini, but nor are they the worst.

Might also be worth having a test drive (with your wife of course) in a 3rd gen Jazz, the one ofter yours, circa 2015 on. These supposedly do have a better ride than earlier cars, so sticking to S or SE trim, your wife may find one of these more palatable. Also has the benefit of being extremely reliable (as is the Mazda CX3 mentioned earlier).

Another car worth considering is the Toyota Yaris. Similar in size to the Jazz but neither (quite) as spacious or flexible. Very reliable though, and usually considered to have a better ride than a Jazz. If manual, a 1.5 (non hybrid) petrol would be a fine choice and would have a bit more pep than your Jazz. If you are thinking of an auto, then either the auto version of the same engine, or a hybrid (which will give much better economy in urban running, but not quite so happy at motorway speeds).

Our Jazz is a manual, yes, and I'm not specifically looking for an automatic, though I'd consider one if the right car came along.

As for what's going on with our Jazz, in all honesty when I'm in the car on my own the ride quality isn't a problem. I suspect, however, that my wife's various aches and pains have caused her to become hypersensitive to any impact with the road, and that therefore I need to find a car with the best ride I can afford.

Re the 3rd gen Jazz yes: I do like those, and I have considered that option in the past. However I've looked at the Mazda CX3 and found it to be most attractive. It'll take another 6 months of saving hard to be able to afford one which is no more than 5 years old, but I'm very tempted.

Thanks also for your other recommendations, BBD.

As for what's going on with our Jazz, in all honesty when I'm in the car on my own the ride quality isn't a problem. I suspect, however, that my wife's various aches and pains have caused her to become hypersensitive to any impact with the road, and that therefore I need to find a car with the best ride I can afford.

If you don't plan to change immediately, might be worth looking into some kind of cushion. If one of the reasons for your wife's pain is coccyx related, you can get ones specifically for that with a cutout. Otherwise, some kind of padded or memory foam cushion/seat cover?

If you don't plan to change immediately, might be worth looking into some kind of cushion. If one of the reasons for your wife's pain is coccyx related, you can get ones specifically for that with a cutout. Otherwise, some kind of padded or memory foam cushion/seat cover?

Been there, done that, never lasts for very long before her back gets better, the cushion ends up on the back seat then disappears. Whereupon she gets worse again. But yes, there might be something we can do for the six months or so till I can afford the change.

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - Orb>>

If thinking of KIa autos, yes 2 different auto boxes, later one not as bad, but lateral thinking says take a look at a stepway version of sandero, decent ride and not silly tires.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311174064604?s...a

Thoughts.

but only available in manual

Honda Jazz, Nissan Juke - Jazz to Juke, maybe - SLO76
Not a well liked car among the regulars. Basically a heavier, less efficient Renault Clio that doesn’t handle as well as its cheaper relative. The older 1.6 petrol is ok with a manual box if you must have one, but avoid at all costs its fragile replacement the 1.2 TCe Renault and leave well alone the CVT auto, which is made from very soft cheese.

Pretty much anything else would be a better option for longterm ownership, including a newer and much softer riding Mk III Jazz - compared to your own. These are robust, practical and simple. I recently sourced one for my mother to replace her crusty 2009 1.2 Jazz, and it is a much better car - though I did prefer the looks of the Mk II. There’s little to worry about on the CVT auto as long as it has been serviced correctly, so look for a main dealer history if you want an auto. The manuals are much easier to find and far cheaper.