Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - 99Iainb

Hi folks, noob here, looking for some advice, I'll try and keep it short

Bought a new car on the 29/12, collected it with 64 miles fuel range in it. Drove to the nearest petrol station and filled up with petrol. Drove home 110 miles, left it a few days before travelling on holiday did another 150 miles, with no performance issues and very good mpg numbers... when the engine failed, got towed back to my local dealer, and they have diagnosed a misfuel (diesel in petrol tank). I have a receipt to say I filled up with petrol, dealer is saying they did not put any fuel in and suggest i contact Hyundai UK.

The fuel sample has not yet been sent off for analysis but currently the fuel system has been flushed, cleaned and I needed a new fuel injector on cylinder 2. The Repairing dealer said there was something not right with the engine and they'd never seen anything quite like it before, almost as if somebody had tried to remove some fuel from the engine, I'm not engine savvy, so I dint really know what he was on about.

I'm thinking of rejecting the car as i haven't even had it for 2 weeks yet, not sure where i stand legally. Currently I have a 2 week old car that has lost its fuel system warranty, a £1,000 repair bill and I'm not a happy bunny!

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see how you could possibly drive 260 miles if you’ve filled it with diesel. Something not adding up here .
Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - skidpan

A diesel filler will not fit into a petrol tank on modern cars. A petrol one will fit into a diesel tank.

That is why you hear about petrol into diesel missfuels but very rarely about diesel into petrol ones, it would take ages and diesel would be everywhere.

My receipt tells me I've filled it with petrol, I suspect i picked it up with some diesel in it, that was enough to get me to the fuel station to fill up with petrol, then when i burnt that petrol off its failed. Dealer is saying they haven't put any fuel in... which only leaves the factory!

... or a misdiagnosis of it being diesel contamination. I suppose i really should get the fuel extract analysed. I've only fueled the car the one time... as usual everybody seems to be refusing to accept any responsibility!

Edited by 99Iainb on 11/01/2024 at 20:50

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Andrew-T

Someone somewhere is in denial, or telling porkies !

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Brit_in_Germany

If the car had diesel in it when you picked it up you would not have got to the petrol station.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - daveyjp

This is not the first time a dealer has lied sbout misfuel.

why it isn't.

You can!t fit a diesel pump nozzle in a petrol fuel filler.

You can't drive hundreds of miles with diesel in a petrol car

I am not aware of any fuel station that serves just one vehicle over the course of many days, if it was a misfuel dozens of vehicles would be failing within a mile or so of the fuel station.

Back to the dealer and ask how with all these facts it is a misfuel.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - bathtub tom

I was at a filling station and noticed a bloke nearby was struggling. As I walked past to pay, I could see he was trying to put diesel in a petrol car. I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed this out, to be met with a stream of expletives. The pump indicated he'd got a few litres in!

The dealer has pretty much washed their hands of it and suggest I contact Hyundai UK, which I am just about to do.

I definitely put petrol in the vehicle and have the receipt to prove it.

I picked the car up with 9 miles on the clock and a range of 64 miles. Filled up with 32.5l of unleaded, drove around 250 miles and conked out.

The onboard BlueLink computer shows I only drove it home on the 29th (87 miles) and then next time on the 4th of Jan (147 miles and 24 miles) then kaput!

Edited by 99Iainb on 12/01/2024 at 09:54

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Grenache

The neck of the fuel filler is usually narrower on petrol cars so it's often impossible to put the hose from a diesel pump into a petrol car.

Putting petrol into a diesel car is an easy mistake if you don't check it

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Adampr

My wife managed to put diesel in our old Seat Mii. It got about 2 miles before it died.

From the details supplied, I can only imagine it's not been misfuelled and something else has contaminated the fuel.

Today's update:

I've spoken to Hyundai UK and unsurprisingly they've washed their hands of me too! They said it's a he said she said incident and although I can prove those 32.5 litres of petrol I put in the car was indeed petrol I can't prove I didn't put anything else in! Despite them offering no evidence of what they had put in and when.

Then unbelievably they said that the fuel taken out of the car was 100% diesel!!!!!!

It's got to the point now where I'm almost questioning my own sanity! I drove 250 miles on the tank I filled. I can only think that they meant 100% of the tank has been drained or I'm living in some kind of multiverse where you can travel around in petrol cars running on diesel!

Anyway, Hyundai have not sent the fuel off for analysis but I will be doing so tomorrow, kerching another £250. The repairing dealer still has all of the fuel drained from the system and said that if I want it to bring a container to put it in. They also have the damaged fuel injector that "doesn't look right" and I can have that too. When I get it I'll see if I can share the image for those of you that are interested and maybe know why it doesn't "look right".

Hyundai said if I'm not happy with the outcome I should take it up with the Motoring Industry Ombudsman. I'm not sure where I stand with rejecting this car now. Should I still reject it just to dot the i's and cross the t's so it's still within the 30 day rejection period?

The saga continues...

I think I would write formally to the dealer and tell them that I was rejecting the car. It costs you nothing and reserves your rights whilst you get to the bottom of this.

Is it possible that somebody borrowed the car and 'helpfully" refuelled it?

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - leaseman

Do as Adampr says OP.

It is then up to the dealer to prove that there were no faults with the car upon handover to you.

You stick to your guns. It may be a "He said, she said" situation to Hyundai (if such an expression is still considered PC) but with your receipt in hand, it would be difficult, if not impossible to prove.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to do, get my letter in within those 30 days.

I have a credit card receipt, showing 32.5l of unleaded.

I have an email from morrisons saying there have been no other reports of contamination.

I have Google timeline location on my phone and downloaded, showing i haven't been to any other fuel stations

I have the cars own BlueLink data that I can see on the app. I'll probably do a FOI/GDPR request to see if I can get this data.

I have requested CCTV footage from morrisons.

I am going to ask Hyundai for proof of what fuel they put in, when and where

I have had the fuel sent off to the lab for analysis today

And tomorrow I will have my own sample and the problem fuel injector

Edited by 99Iainb on 16/01/2024 at 18:32

If somebody is looking at this in the future, I'm continuing this thread on the money saving experts forum as it's gained more traction there

Can’t wait for the results of the fuel analysis. I’m sure they’ll be a good story to tell .

For those that are interested, but not enough to look on Money Saving Expert -

A letter rejecting the car has been sent.

There are pictures of the faulty injector. The seals at the nozzle end are shredded and it has obviously been blowing by.

Presumably, the injector wasn't fitted properly in the first place, and the claim of fuel contamination seems wholly based on that being the most likely cause of injector seals getting damaged.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - bathtub tom

For those that are interested, but not enough to look on Money Saving Expert -

I've had a look, but can't seem to find it. Perhaps a link?

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80...7

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - movilogo

Could there be the case that fuel pump was filled with wrong fuel?

OP's receipt showed petrol but still diesel was found by Hyundai.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - SLO76
As a junior salesman one of my duties was to make sure all the cars in the lot started and had enough fuel to demonstrate them. If they ran out we’d use plastic cans to get fuel for them from our service station across the road. It was not uncommon for a dozy salesperson (most of whom know nothing about the cars they’re selling) to put a can of diesel into a petrol car or vice versa. Topped up with petrol it’ll run but possibly damage the engine. I witnessed several misfuelling cases in my time.

As for you doing so via a pump at a service station, well that’s highly unlikely as the diesel nozzle won’t fit in a petrol car. This car has ran out of fuel and had a can of diesel put in by mistake by someone. I’ll wager the fuel sample test will show it to be a mix of petrol and a lesser amount of diesel.

An employee at the garage or someone involved in the delivery of the vehicle has misfuelled it, assuming it was new. But how do you prove this. I’d reject the car and I’d scream blue murder on social media and trustpilot until you get a satisfactory response.

Just checking back in here for an update for folks.

I had my fuel analysed by a lab and it came back showing no trace of diesel but a 0.29% trace of water, which by all accounts is an acceptable tolerance. Reading the KwikFit website they state anything up to 0.5% is acceptable.

Unsurprisingly the repairing dealer have now changed their story to water in the fuel! and are still refusing to blame a faulty fuel injector covered by the warranty.

full story is here: forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6498528/re...1

It's quite the read

I still don't really understand all these shenanigans. The car is faulty; tell whoever sold it that it has been rejected and that they owe you a refund. It doesn't matter how far away they are - it's their job to go and get it from wherever it went in for repairs.

Oh were it so simple in real life... I have rejected the car with the dealer I bought it from and they have refused the rejection and "do not accept any wrongdoing or responsibility for the complaint raised"

The OP has added to his own woes by using a different dealer for repairs and not the one he suspects put wrong fuel in the car. Since they have had no control over repairs I can honestly see their point.

You're probably right, although everybody I have dealt with representing Hyundai has either fobbed me off or just ignored me until they can't any longer.

I don't suspect anybody has put the incorrect fuel in, I have the lab report saying no diesel was found. This is just a case of misdiagnosis by the dealer that carried out the repairs, who originally said it was a diesel misfuel.

The dealer I bought it from is 90 miles away from where I live, so naturally i had it returned to my local dealer for them to do what I expected to be warranty repairs. In an ideal world yes I would have had the car returned to the dealer I bought it from but I had my 80 year old mother with me, who has dementia, and it was 11pm before we got home and it was all a bit of a trauma.

Surely the whole point of a dealer network is that wherever you take it there should be no distended

Edited by 99Iainb on 03/03/2024 at 20:45

Surely the whole point of a dealer network is that wherever you take it there should be no distended

Unless they're the same dealership (eg Howards Toyota, Howards Suzuki etc), they are completely unrelated businesses that happen to both sell Hyundais. Hyundai UK is really only an importer of cars made by its parent company.

What has happened in reality is that you have taken the car to a different business than the one you bought it from. That's why they're ignoring you - it has nothing to do with them other than you've taken it there and haven't removed it yet.

You only need to deal with the company that sold you the car. They can deny responsibility all they like, but you have (I think) rejected the car and they now owe you your money back.

Yes, I understand how dealers are setup, but they all fall within the Hyundai network for warranty repairs. The repairer is saying it was not a defect with the vehicle and therefore not a warranty repair, I obviously disagree. I have rejected the car with the dealer i bought it from, they have not accepted the rejection and the repairing dealer is still saying the vehicle didn't have a manufacturer fault or part fault, it was the fuel that caused the fault to occur... all evidence points to it being a faulty injector

Edited by 99Iainb on 03/03/2024 at 21:43

But it's not a repair, it's a rejection. You will never get that car back. all I'm saying is you're wasting your time with the 'repairing dealer' and Hyundai UK. Your only issue is with the dealer that sold you the car. Assuming you have now sent your letter before action, wait them out and then take them to court.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Brit_in_Germany

Since the purchase cost will be above the limit for the small claims court, taking the supplying dealer to court would generally be a bad idea.

Agreed, I'm not sure the car still has its warranty though because a misfuel has been diagnosed, I've had 2 different stories, 1 from the repairing dealer who is saying it's not marked as a misfuel on the Hyundai system and Hyundai UK who have said the fuel system is invalidated.

If the car still has its warranty and I can get that in writing, I'm inclined to keep the car because I don't want the hassle and potential court costs, that's why I'm concentrating of getting the misfuel diagnosis overturned.

Edited by 99Iainb on 03/03/2024 at 22:19

There's 2 issues in play here, the repairing dealer has charged me £1,000 to repair the car and because they're saying it was a misfuel the dealer I bought it from is not accepting a fault with the vehicle. I have the car sat on my driveway.

I've also paid out another £250 to have the fuel analysed. I need to recoup the money I've spent on the repairs from that dealer and reject the car with the dealer I bought it from.

The rejection letter went in on the 17th of Jan and had not been pursued until last week after all of my evidence was received.

My LBA is going into the repairing dealer tomorrow, that can go through the small claims court

Edited by 99Iainb on 03/03/2024 at 22:20

Oh, it's been repaired. Well, you can't reject it then.

So your issue is simply that it has been repaired and Hyundai UK are refusing to honour the warranty because of an erroneous report of a misfuel. Forget about either dealer in that case - just go after Hyundai UK.

I can reject it within 30 days of purchase and have done a soon as i knew there was a problem with it that wasn't my fault.

It's been repaired and I've been charged for it and it should have been warranty work, not sure where i currently stand with the warranty I'm getting 2 different stories

As for Hyundai UK, they're backing the repairing dealer and have refused to reply to my emails since I've discovered the fuel didn't have diesel in it as diagnosed. I'm going to call them tomorrow but I don't like dealing verbally now as you just can't trust what anybody is saying and I need evidence in writing

Edited by 99Iainb on 03/03/2024 at 22:53

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - FiestaOwner

I've been following your saga on MSE website, since you moved it there.

The way you've been treated, by Hyundai and their dealers, is an absolute disgrace. Misdiagnosing the fault and therefore cancelling your warranty, on a brand new car.

People often rave about long warranties (on certain makes), but it often ties you into overpriced (and substandard) main dealer servicing, diagnostics and repairs.

In your position, I wouldn't touch another Hyundai.

Good luck

As for Hyundai UK, they're backing the repairing dealer

This is where you are going to fail. You have no contract with either.

You only have a contract with the supplying dealer, you bought it from them.

You have no contract with Hyundai.

You have no contract with the repairing dealer.

If you want to moan carry on but that will get you nothing.

If you want to try and get satisfaction you will have to take the supplying dealer to court.

You only have a contract with the supplying dealer, you bought it from them.

"the repairing dealer has charged me £1,000 to repair the car and because they're saying it was a misfuel the dealer I bought it from is not accepting a fault with the vehicle. I have the car sat on my driveway. I've also paid out another £250 to have the fuel analysed. I need to recoup the money I've spent on the repairs from that dealer and reject the car with the dealer I bought it from"

The repairing dealer has misdiagnosed the fault, advised Hyundai UK that the issue is non warranty, got the warranty invalidated and charged the OP £1000 for their own incompetence. In addition the OP has had to pay £250 to prove that the vehicle hasn't been misfuelled.

At a minimum, the repairing dealer needs to refund £1250 and get the full warranty reinstated. I would say that the OP is due a lot more than this for the grief he has been caused.

As the OP hasn't taken the car outwith the Hyundai network, Hyundai UK should be taking ownership of this situation and resolving it. The car was under 2 weeks old and had 260 miles on it, when it failed!

Nice summary @FiestaOwner... sounds like you know my case better than I do lol

It would appear that the warranty on Kia and Hyundai are not what they’re made out to be . There’s a post on another forum where an owner has a fault on an automatic gearbox (known issue) and the dealer wants over £700 to diagnose and decide if it’s warranted or not . I don’t get it.

Thanks... surely it must be drawing to a conclusion soon!

Ironically, Hyundai so have a rather good service plan, 3 years for £300 or something like that and that includes Hyundai assistance, which I had to use on day 6 of ownership.

Trouble is I've rather burnt my bridges with my local dealer and the next nearest is owned by the same company... and I'd never trust them to touch my car ever again!

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Andrew-T

Apart from anything else, maybe this sad story can remind us of the potential snags of buying far from home if one expects to have a car maintained by an associated more conveniently placed garage ?

And add to that, take out motor legal protection when you buy a car, that was a big mistake on my part. But having said that insurance companies haven't covered themselves in glory in the past and i would suspect they'd try and wriggle out of taking any responsibility just like everybody else does these days.

Hyundai Bayon - New car misfuel advice - Falkirk Bairn

Story makes the Daily Telegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/hyundai.../

Full marks to the OP for standing his ground . Result.

It was only Katie Morely from the Daily Telegraph that got Hyundai to see sense! Other wise I'd be starting court proceedings on Monday!

Felt Hyundai should have offered you a bit more, for everything they put you through.

Good result though. Well done for your perseverance.