Lexus NX - Dilemma - London calling

Hi, I own a 2016 Lexus NX full service history so has another couple of years warranty cover. I’m now in my 70’s and thinking whether to keep the car beyond warranty or sell it and buy a 2 year old Toyota Yaris Cross that will have another 8 years warranty's. With the cheaper service plan, insurance and more miles per gallon it would save me £118 a month that would allow me to borrow the difference (with a little extra per month). This should protect me from any large bills I could face keeping the NX.

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks

Lexus NX - Dilemma - craig-pd130

You'd have to sit in & drive the Yaris Cross to see what you think. I recently had a look at one as on paper, it seemed to fulfil my needs. However, the interior is very plasticky and dark, which put me off. It might be disappointing compared to your Lexus.

Thanks for the info…I sat in one when they first came out (no option to test drive) didn’t seem that bad, although it was in showroom, will arrange a test drive soon…

Lexus NX - Dilemma - badbusdriver

Because of the Citroen C5 Aircross thread, I was looking at the 2023 What Car reliability survey anyway. Guess what is at the top of the reliability list for family SUV's?, 2014-2021 Lexus NX with a reliability of 99.8%!

So frankly, I would have no worries about big bills unless the car has been neglected. That said, the Yaris Cross should be equally dependable.

Thanks……could be being overly cautious.

Lexus NX - Dilemma - John F

Electromechanical machinery deteriorates with use, not age, unless it is kept outside near the coast. You mention neither present nor projected annual mileage. Have you factored in depreciation? For an eight year old car which is no longer depreciating much do you really need a 'service plan' above and beyond an annual MoT and an oil & filter change every 10,000 miles? Lexi are known to be fairly well made and reliable so if it's doing around 10,000 miles a year it should last at least another eight years with minimal maintenance and depreciation cost.

Lexus NX - Dilemma - gordonbennet

I can see the merits of your plan and once paid off that new Toyota will see you well into your 80's before the warranty expires so long as you get the dealer to service it.

Before you decide to keep the Lexus, suggest you get someone competent you trust to check underneath for corrosion on suspension subframes brake components etc, some owners have found previous Lexus SUVs to be rather more rusty underneath than one might have hoped...i own a 19 year old Landcruiser and have had similar large Toyotas for many years, its rust that kills these cars seldom anything else, hence mine is heavily underbody and cavity treated by my own hand...if you decide to keep the Lexus it might be worth getting some underbody treatments applied in any affected areas during the summer.

Good idea, I’ll get a mechanic I know to check it over..

I do about 11,000 - 12,000 miles a year so if it lasts another 8 years that would see me out :)

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Falkirk Bairn

Last year I decided to down size and buy a new smaller car.

Looked around, Toyota, Mazda, Honda & some others - decided that the cars were not in the same class as my 11 year old CRV. After much thought about Yaris Cross, Honda HRV/ZRV, I decided to buy a Honda CRV - not brand new as there was "no stock" available and the new models were Bigger & £6K more expensive that the outgoing model.

My "new car" was some 5 months old & under 2,000 miles, cost me £25K+trade-in CRV.

4.5 months on quite happy with the car - getting used to /switching off some of the electronics took a bit of time.

£560 RFL and under 40mpg is not the best start but so far it seems to be the right decision - reliable and comfortable.

Lexus NX - Dilemma - movilogo

Lexus a luxury brand while Toyota is not :-)

If you really fancy a change then that's an emotional decision and not necessarily it can be supported by logic. In that case just get it whatever makes you happy.

2016 will have warranty till 2026. Please be aware that Toyota's warranty is only 3 years (previously was 5 years) and next 7 years is conditional.

Last year I was thinking of buying a Toyota and asked Toyota UK what is the difference between 3 year vs 10 year warranty i.e. which things are covered in 3 years but not in extended warranty. They dodged the question and asked me to contact dealers who were equally clueless.

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Steveieb

I too like the look of the Yaris Cross. Toyota stying is really improving.

But do these cars have a three cylinder engine which would really put me off

Will be worth finding out what the extended warranty covers, I assumed it was a continuation of the 5 years…

Lexus NX - Dilemma - skidpan

But do these cars have a three cylinder engine which would really put me off

Don't worry about 3 cylinder engines, nothing wrong with them.

The wifes last 2 cars have had 3 cylinder engines (a Nissan Note and a Skoda Fabia) and they have been fine, plenty of go and refined. The engine note is different to a 4 cylinder but we find it gives character to the cars. Wifes uncles Suzuki Celerio was also a 3 cylinder, not as much go as the Note and Fabia (no turbo) but a very wife spread of torque, performed better than you would expect and incredibly economical (55+ around town).

Wife had a Yaris on order (same engine as the Yaris+), on test it seemed to be the most refined 3 cylinder we have driven, the demonstrator had very low miles on it and experience suggests they get better as they bed in.

Drive one and make your own mind up. Most of the posters who dislike these engines have never driven a modern one let alone owned one.

Interesting, looking to test drive one soon…thanks

Lexus NX - Dilemma - bathtub tom
Wife had a Yaris on order (same engine as the Yaris+), on test it seemed to be the most refined 3 cylinder we have driven,

I think I recall something about the later 3-cylinder Toyota engines having balancer shafts?

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Metropolis.
I struggle with 3 cylinders, too much vibration. I used to dislike 4 cylinders but they are great by comparison!
Lexus NX - Dilemma - primus 1

I have a Yaris cross, I find it comfortable and very economical atm I’m getting 60mpg, but it does vary according to outside temperature it drops considerably from a high of 68/70 mpg in the summer to around 54/55when it’s really cold which is still good, I do however urge you to take an extended test drive, I ordered mine last January for delivery in April ( this turned out to be July) of course you forget how I’d drove on the test drive, all the reviews online said it was noisy, this is only really apparent when flooring it or going up very steep hills, I don’t find it any worse than my previous car, ( ford puma) but if you’re coming from a Lexus then it might make a difference to you, hence taking it on a longer test drive, mines on 18in wheels, some say the 16in ride better, but that depends on the trim model you are looking at, interior quality is fine, no squeaks or rattles yet, it seems well put together yes it’s a bit plasticky but lots of cars are nowadays, a couple of other things, the rear doors don’t open as wide as they perhaps should, so if you regularly carry rear passengers or fit child seats this could be an issue, Lexus do have a new model coming out the LBX which is their version of the Yaris cross, but this is brand new, but if you can wait a couple of years you could pick up a used one..

Thanks for the information…

I also forgot to mention that doing short journeys may not charge the 12v battery enough, as I found out over Christmas as it was left for two days and wouldn’t start as the battery was flat, this seems to affect hybrid and mild hybrid’s as I had battery issues with my previous puma, both forum’s seem to suggest that cheap/inferior batteries were fitted and some have replaced theirs, others have had no problems at all, so, be aware if you regularly leave it for long periods, mines ok atm, but if I leave it for an extended period I will put it on charge..

Lexus NX - Dilemma - John F
I struggle with 3 cylinders, too much vibration. I used to dislike 4 cylinders but they are great by comparison!

Our Peugeot 2008 1.2puretech 3cyl doesn't vibrate, it has a balancer shaft. On long journeys it is astonishingly unobtrusive, trundling along at 60mph/2000rpm.

Lexus NX - Dilemma - skidpan

Other than the Note, Fabia and soon to be Yaris all my cars have been 4 cylinders. Wife did have a Rover V8 before we met but other than that its been 4 cylinders.

Have to say they were all the 60's and 70's ones were bit rough but the 1984 XR3i with the CVH was the roughest of the lot. Then I bought a Golf GTi in 1986 and it was heaven and all the 4 cylinder ones since then have been very good (but nothing wrong with the 3 cylinder ones).

In my experience the BMC A series engines were smoother running than Ford x-Flow engines in the 60's and 70's but the BMC B series engines were poor.

Noisiest 4 cylinder engine I ever experienced was a 1.3 push rod petrol in dads Talbot Horizon. It was one of the last of the series one cars which had a Simca derived engine, went for petrol once and they told him they did not sell diesel. Series 2 cars had Peugeot derived engines and gearboxes and were far better.

Worst engine I have driven in recent years, possibly any year was a Hyundai Getz with a 1.5 turbo diesel 3 cylinder unit. Despite having promising power and torque figures (the same as a 1.9 Golf TDI) it managed to be gutless at all revs and brain numbingly noisy. People with a moan about modern turbo petrol triples should be forced to drive one.

Edited by skidpan on 06/01/2024 at 17:05

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Steveieb

My only experience of three cylinder engines has been the Aygo rental car and my own A2 Tdi 90 and found both difficult to drive smoothly because of the turbo lag on the A2 and the “no mans land “ of power take up in the Aygo.

So glad to return to having the extra one or even better three extra cylinders .

Lexus NX - Dilemma - badbusdriver

Struggle?

Really?.

Surely this is the very essence of what is meant by a "first world problem" ;-)

I've been a huge fan of 3 cylinder cars since I first drove one in about 1993 (Daihatsu Charade), so much more character and fizz than a 4 pot. Even without a balancer shaft, the vibration is only really 'a thing' at low revs, at cruising speed (certainly at 2k+ rpm, but probably less) there is no more vibration than a 4 cylinder.

Like John's 2008, our 1.0 3 cylinder turbo Hyundai Bayon is pulling about 2000rpm at a 60mph cruise and is very refined.

Nastiest engine I've ever encountered was the 4 cylinder 1.1 in my 1977 Fiesta!

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Falkirk Bairn

Yaris Cross is a 1.5 l 115 BHP

It's Lexus equivalent. the Lexus LBX, is 20BHP more and a lot plusher inside - £30K+ is a stumbling block for a small car even with a more 20BHP more!

The Lexus starts at around 34k rising to nearer 40k as you rise up the ranges

Yeah, couldn’t justify spending that much on the LBX..

Lexus NX - Dilemma - Palcouk

I'm mid 70's & will be finally retireing & selling my Bus this year, I work from home. Have had 4x various Lexus, none have ever given any major bill, simply std servicing. My 2019 NX Takumi, 14K miles, since running down my buis I only do about 3K miles/year, no service plan, as its not worth it, nor any extended warranty.

I would stick with what you have

Hi, I had a drive of a Yaris Cross, it’s a nice drive and as already said it’s a cheap car to run, but after having my NX checked over and all looking good (??) I’ve decided to keep the NX hopefully with a few more years of trouble free motoring…Thanks….