Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - Lesae

Hi all. My car is a 69 plate Acenta diesel 13800 miles. I bought it two weeks ago and am having some issues the last couple of days.
Driving to work today the auto start stop disabled warning came on. Stopped for petrol 20 mins later and when I turned the ignition off the whole car went dead, all info panels etc. Filled up and when I went to start it everything was dead, not turning over at all and no info panels. Couple of turns and a bit of swearing and it came back on again. Drove for a couple of mins and parked up for work.
Yesterday my front lights were flickering I noticed driving into work for a bit.
Could it be connected and my battery? Car was bought from a Nissan dealer so it should have been checked when I bought it.
The other thing is the milage I'm getting. Just done one full tank on a diesel engine and barely sc***ped 390 miles. My Clio with the same engine was on 520 miles. It's saying 58 miles per gallon on my Micra panel for the 390 miles but that would be around 510 miles which I didn't get anywhere near.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - Railroad.

If I were you I would not attempt any repairs yourself. Without delay and since you've only had the car a couple of weeks, and I'm assuming you bought it from a dealer and not a private seller, I would take it back and get them to repair it. You have a right to a full refund and to reject the vehicle in the first 30 days of owning it so you don't have much time. The seller also has one chance to repair it but you must not continue driving it in the meantime. If you did buy privately yiu won't have a leg to stand on, but if you bought from a dealer or a trader then go back straight away. You have rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Read here.

www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal-rights-if-somethin...7

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - skidpan

I'm assuming you bought it from a dealer and not a private seller

OP clearly says he bought the car from a Nissan Dealer.

The seller also has one chance to repair

That only applies after 30 days. Under the CRA 2015 there is no such requirement during the first 30 days.

I'm assuming you bought it from a dealer and not a private seller

OP clearly says he bought the car from a Nissan Dealer.

The seller also has one chance to repair

That only applies after 30 days. Under the CRA 2015 there is no such requirement during the first 30 days.

Whatever! In any case the OP should contact the dealer and return the car for repair.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - Adampr

Yes, probably the battery needs replacing. Take it back to the dealer and they will diagnose it. In the meantime, does it have the same size fuel.tank as your previous car? If it's smaller, you will of course get less range.

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - catsdad

Stop start systems sometimes don’t work well in winter when there are lots of demands on the battery. The car may well have been sitting unused in the trade for some weeks so the battery might indeed be below par. The very low mileage it’s covered in 4 years might also be a factor if the battery has regularly been run low. It may be that it’s in need of replacement rather than simply recharge.

The low mpg might be due to its extremely low miles covered for a diesel. Diesels don’t respond well to low usage. If it’s been pottering about town for a few miles a week for four years it’s not going to have loosened up to give good mpg. The diesel particulate filter may well have not regenerated regularly either.

None of this affects the advice to date that it’s up to the dealer to sort it. It’s best to tell then the symptoms and not to speculate to them what you (or we) think the problem and solution might be.

Many people still buy diesels because they're attracted by the good fuel economy they're capable of achieving. But, if you're not doing above average mileage then you really are better advised to buy a petrol. Many petrols these days are very good on fuel and the fuel itself is cheaper which goes some way to bridging the difference. But as has been said above, you are very likely to encounter problems if you only ever potter about in a diesel. And they can prove difficult and expensive to repair..

Nissan Micra - Nissan Micra issues - Big John

As Skidpan mentioned - Customer Rights Act 2015 -

Under the new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days.

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.

In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.

Edited by Big John on 12/12/2023 at 23:11