Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - delroy

The engine light has been on my Focus for over a year now. I've taken it to two different garages who have told me it's an emissions fault, and a) use high grade fuel, then b) replace the O2 sensor (which they did), then c) repair the ECU. After that final advise I took it to the main dealer who said the ECU needed updating (which they did), and after the light turned on again(!!), they told me it needed a new cat as the o2 sensors were reporting the same reading.

This will cost me £950. I've been advised by another garage to just sell because the car is now at 93k and it won't be too long before the wet belt needs to be changed. Of course with the warning light on I'm getting very low quotes for it (£1.5k). The thing is it drives fine, has passed it's MOT and therefore emissions test during this time (they reset the light during the MOT), and it is only 7 years old. But the warning light remains on.

I use it to commute about 70miles 2-3 times per week, but also use it for family travel. Not ideal having the light on as I can't tell if something else goes wrong. Should I just sell and suck it up? Fix it and hope for the best? Ignore it and see if it goes through the next MOT ok again?

Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, the car will not pass the mot if the engine fault light is on . Why do you think it needs a catalyst? Has anyone done any testing , and what fault codes are logged?
Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - delroy

Main dealer told me it needed a new one. As I mentioned, they tested it and said the o2 sensors were giving the same readings so it was needed. This was the fifth diagnosis I'd had. Appreciate you say it won't pass the MOT but it did last time, perhaps it shouldn't have though. Engine light came back on two days later.

Edited by delroy on 07/10/2023 at 15:25

Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - edlithgow
The thing is it drives fine, has passed it's MOT and therefore emissions test during this time (they reset the light during the MOT), and it is only 7 years old.

Is that legit i.e. allowed by the MOT regs, or were they evading these?

As an (ex) MOT candidate I'd find that encouraging, though as a current breather, and potential UK breather, maybe not quite so much.

Seems you have essentially a market research problem. Is the payback (in increased probable selling price of what will still be a poor rep car with expensive belt change due) of cat change greater or less than the cost of replacing the cat.

If yes do it, if no, dont

If it were me and I had somewhere to work, I'd probably attempt the belt swap first. From a bit of casual Youtubery, looks a PITA, but if you screw it up and wreck the engine you havnt lost much

I'm pretty sure they weren't evading it because it passed the emissions test and they were confident the cat was fine. In fact multiple garages were sure it was fine until the most recent diagnosis that it wasn't, hence why this has been a frustrating journey.

Edited by delroy on 08/10/2023 at 07:28

Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - elekie&a/c doctor
What fault code does it log when the mil comes on ?
Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - John F

Despite a label saying ('don't...), I cleaned the throttle body on our old Mk 1 Focus 1.6 Zetec which extinguished a regularly illuminating EMS light. I'd read somewhere that a build up of dirt on the butterfly valve could restrict airflow thus enriching the idle mixture, which would activate the warning light.

Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 2016 - Should I replace my catalytic converter? - Gibbo_Wirral

I've always been impressed with CATS2U for replacement parts and prices