Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - ma9gm

Hi, we're in the process of looking for a new car, and on our current car the engine light has come on. We booked it into the garage and they ran the codes... the garage has said it doesn't really like working with DPF filters and hence won't do any work on it. It's frustrating because we were in the process of looking for a new car. Anyway, my question is... do these codes relate to a clogged DPF? So could I get rid of the codes by getting the DPF cleanned (i.e. about £300). Here are the codes:

P16EA-00 - NOx emission control system - Ammonia emissions too high

P208E-00 - NOx emission control system - Partially clogged

P20F6-00 - Exhaust emission control system - SYSTEM LEAKING

P2A00-00 - NOx sensor - Function faulty

P2204-00 - NOx sensor - Function faulty

P2202-00 - Nox Sensor upstream DeNOx catalyst - HEATER ELEMENT FAULTY ELECTRIC CIRCUIT

P2452-64 - Differential pressure sensor of soot particulate filter - Faulty SIGNAL

P2002-00 - Soot particulate filter - FAULTY EFFICIENCY

P242F-00 - Soot particlate filter - ASH CONCENTRATION

P2047-00 - Additive injection valve - Faulty Electronic Control CIRCUIT

That seems like a lot to me. As if the whole car is just falling apart!!! Any help?

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - elekie&a/c doctor
Theses are all related to the dpf emission system . The dpf may be or will become blocked unless these faults are corrected . Looks expensive to fix . Cleaning the dpf is probably only half the issue.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/07/2023 at 15:01

Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping cleaning the DPF would sort that out. Does it look like the whole DPF will need to be replaced? When you say expensive, are we looking at about £1,000?

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - elekie&a/c doctor
Parts for the dpf system can be very expensive. If the def tank is faulty, that’s £1k on its own.

Ah man. That really sucks. I was just hoping to get rid of the engine light so I can part exchange it. Looks like it's going to cost me a lot of money.

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - Gibbo_Wirral

The DPF system relies on a lot of other components working properly in order for it to clean:

Glow plugs & relay

Additive tank having additive in it

Additive tank pump

Fuel cap magnets

Cooling fan

Don't spend £300 on a clean, the DPF could be end of life. Get one from CATS2U.

I've helped lots of Pug owners this way - they put on a new DPF and I tell the car its had a replacement.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 11/07/2023 at 12:14

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - RichardW

At least half of those faults relate to the AdBlue system, not the DPF. It needs looking at by someone with decent software that knows what they are doing. To me it looks like one or other of the systems has had a blip or has gone off line and is taking everything down. Given their propensity for complete failure quite likely be the AdBlue tank....

That's really helpful. Thank you so much. I had the adblue tank replaced about 18 months ago. Any chance it could just be a coffee that's going over from today?

The other strange thing that's happened is the light has gone off. I've driven it a few times and the fault light isn't coming up again. Is there any chance I could get in trouble if I just drove it over to webuyanycar and sold it to them? Will they come back after me if they buy it and then a few days later the light comes back?

I would not worry about wbac , once they have bought the car , its not your problem. This vehicle will go straight into an auction.

That's handy. Do you think I should bother telling them about the dpf issue? If there's no engine light will they care?

Edited by ma9gm on 14/07/2023 at 23:09

Let them inspect the car, agree a price and walk away. its that simple.

So that was a waste of time. I took it to wba with no engine light, and then they decided to knock off £1,200 for 6 small scratches. Scratches I hadn't even noticed until they pointed them out. They seemed really small to me. It seemed crazy to me. So back to stage 1!!

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - Andrew-T

.... they decided to knock off £1,200 for 6 small scratches. Scratches I hadn't even noticed until they pointed them out. They seemed really small to me.

If the scratches are all that small you may be able to polish them out with one of those elixirs you can buy ? Or a professional could do it for a lot less than £1200 ?

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - SLO76
There are other options beyond WBAC. Most local dealers and larger chains offer a buying service and most offer better prices and no fees. I sold swmbo’s HRV to a local buying firm for £800 more than WBAC offered before even starting to knock it back for any near invisible marks in the paint. Look online and call a few dealers. Once they’ve evaluated it and offered a price and you’ve walked away they can’t come back to you for any faults. They’re supposed to be the professionals and you as Joe Public can’t be expected to be an expert.

That's very interesting. I didn't know that. I'll Google some dealers near me and see what they give me. Hopefully their are a few decent options next bury st Edmunds.

So seems like the engine light is on because the dpf pressure sensor circuit is being disrupted. However, I've managed to work out I can drive the car for 7 miles and if I keep the revs low the engine light doesn't come back on. Anyone have any ideas? Where is the dpf pressure sensor located?

Edited by ma9gm on 16/07/2023 at 19:56

In the side of the DPF housing.

You can get parts diagrams here

catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang=en

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 17/07/2023 at 12:07

More likely to be in the engine bay . Black plastic module and 2x flexible pipes and a 3 pin connector .

Is this something that's easy to replace by myself? Or is it something that needs to be done by a garage?

Not a difficult job to replace. But I think the pipe work attached to it needs to be inspected before any parts are replaced. Not convinced that it will fix your issues.

Oh really, so you think it could be related to the pipes that are attached? So they might have a leak?

So, do you think that code indicates the whole dpf needs to be replaced?

Peugeot 308 - Engine Light - Peugeot 308 SW HDi blue - DPF Help - RichardW

As I said above, you need to get it plugged in with some decent software by someone who knows what they are doing and can work through the live data to see where the actual fault lies....

Agree. Google "planet owners map" to find someone

I did that and messaged a few people but I didn't get any reply unfortunately.

So a new adblue injector is what it needs.