Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - SLO76
Righto, my first impressions on SWMBO’s new secondhand Nissan Leaf are in. I have to say that I’m quite impressed. It drives very well indeed, it grips well, it rides well and it has a fair bit of instantaneous poke about it. I particularly like the “e pedal” which allows you to effectively drive using only one pedal, it works well. The interior is well made and rattle free and it’s spacious and practical with a surprisingly large boot. The heating controls are simple and not buried under menu’s in a touchscreen. It’s quite easy to live with.

I’m not a fan of the styling, but I quite like the interior. It’s a bit dark and the high dash and small windscreen make it feel a little claustrophobic but it’s well built and the heated front seats are comfortable. The rear bench is I find a little flat for adults and you’ll find your legs sitting proud of the cushion, but there’s decent space back there. I’m surprised more people locally don’t taxi them. I certainly would.

As for costs, well she’s done about 500 miles so far and it’s cost absolutely nowt, not a penny. We use the nearby local authority charging points which cost nothing. It’s a wee 15 min walk there and back, but the dogs (two i**** toy poodles) are enjoying the extra walks. We typically charge it every two days. It has the additional bonus of being funded via personal loan by her indoors by herself as I said I wasn’t partaking in her madness. The HRV she had before was a wee belter of a car.

So, am I fully convinced by electric cars? No, not at the stupid prices people are paying for them new. I see new VW ID3’s sitting at our local dealer at well over £30k and that’s just daft. A new big battery Leaf is closing in on £35k according to the local Nissan dealer who tried unsuccessfully to convince me of its value. I do however see the economic argument of what we have here. A good used Nissan Leaf at under £15,000 can make for an excellent commuter car or taxi. It costs buttons to run, the fuel is (currently) free and there’s hardly any moving parts to go wrong.

The only service item listed by Nissan is the brake fluid which should be changed every 3yrs according to the schedule. What they’re asking £150-£300 for when they “service” it I don’t know and I (I know John will appreciated this) won’t be partaking in this either. I’ll maybe let them see it every 3yrs or maybe not at all. I read a recent story in a related forum written by a guy who has never done anything to his 2014 Nissan Leaf other than tyres, brakes and windscreen wipers, the dealer has never been given the opportunity to empty his wallet and it still drives fine and the battery pack is still at 90%.

It’s not for everyone though, I still love a good petrol or diesel engine, I love a slick manual gearbox. I like to drive, not float. But as an economical means to get SWMBO from place to place and to (hopefully) avoid much of the past motoring cost I’ve incurred in looking after her cars it’s far from unpleasant. I will be keeping the old Toyota however and an eye is out for something a bit retro and fun to occupy the garage. If an EV was our sole car I’d say it was too much of an inconvenience when it comes to longer journeys, but as everyday transport to and from work and school (same place as she’s a teacher) it makes a lot of sense.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - sammy1

A very interesting review and analysis on costs. There are other threads currently running on VED costs and fuel duties on ICE so make hay while the sun shines as how long "free" motoring will last is any ones guess. There are of course millions of motorists surviving on a shoe string so the sooner the playing field is levelled the better. The demise of ICE is coming much to soon for most and unaffordable and public transport is a joke

“ make hay while the sun shines as how long "free" motoring will last is any ones guess.”

Absolutely agree, it’s not sustainable to give EV users free road tax and electricity indefinitely. But if I charge it at home a full recharge costs around £7 at my current rate, which is still very cheap for 140/150 miles.

“ There are of course millions of motorists surviving on a shoe string”

Agree also. These costly regulations forcing combustion and compression engines vehicles off the road and adding crippling additional cost to new vehicles are created by ruling elites who’ve little understanding of ordinary working people. Sadly, the Labour Party (supposedly the working persons party) are even more zealous regarding forcing us all off the road.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - barney100

I reckon they do understand ordinary working people but they don't care. They have agendas which are far more important, forcing EVs on us is one of them. It's a paradox that cars have never been cleaner but the cleaner we get the more demonised ice cars become. Labour that created the NHS after the war has now seemingly abandoned the working class, how can a Sir be taken seriously as a leader of Labour?

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - alan1302

how can a Sir be taken seriously as a leader of Labour?

Easily - you should not let a title colour your view on anyone - look at what they do and then decide, if they are a Sir or not should not come into it.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Adampr

how can a Sir be taken seriously as a leader of Labour?

Easily - you should not let a title colour your view on anyone - look at what they do and then decide, if they are a Sir or not should not come into it.

There a several reasons why I find Starmer quit ehard to take seriously, but the fact that he has been knighted for his career in public service isn't one of them. His parents were 'ordinary working people ' and he's just done well for himself.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Bolt

The demise of ICE is coming much to soon for most and unaffordable and public transport is a joke

Don`t be too sure ICE will disappear, I have a feeling due to the amount of dislike of the way EVs are being made and the fact ICE are here and can be modified for other fuels they will stay.

some have said that EVs batteries will not improve enough for long journeys and charging points will not be able to cope with the amount of EVs there will be, and apparently its going to take 12-15 years to install cabling to cope, so I can see where the car companies are heading and its not all EVs

We have 7 years, so in that time things will change and not towards EVs

and as so many car companies are looking at alternative fuels its going to be interesting to see who gets furthest in the tech :)

Small highly efficient petrol powered cars should be granted a mid to long term stay of execution. A 60-70mpg supermini is affordable, fun and probably less environmentally damaging for low mileage users than an EV or hybrid. The economic argument for new electric and hybrid cars compared to much cheaper conventional models doesn’t really stack up without huge tax payer subsidy in the way of free energy and road tax and this isn’t sustainable in the long run.

Used EV’s can make sense. I intend on seeing just how cheaply they can be run. There are almost no moving parts, no timing belt to replace, no oil changes to carry out, no DPF to clog, no complex injectors to fail and no turbo to wear out. I won’t have to replace an exhaust and due to the regenerative braking they’re very light on discs and pads. The only real concern is battery degradation, and from what owners are saying on relevant forums this isn’t as bad as feared. I plan on finding out, I intend on keeping “Luna” the Leaf after SWMBO has upgraded (she’s totally sold on EV now) and I plan on seeing just how long it’ll run for. Even if the battery pack drops by half it would still manage my commute.

The servicing schedule from Nissan is nothing more than a list of checks, other than replacing the brake fluid every three years. There’s no actual servicing going on. The battery pack check they do is nothing more than looking at how many bars are on the dash display.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/06/2023 at 08:02

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - John F
It costs buttons to run, the fuel is (currently) free and there’s hardly any moving parts to go wrong.

Sounds ideal for for a working SWMBO with a short commute.

The only service item listed by Nissan is the brake fluid which should be changed every 3yrs according to the schedule.

I trust you will treat this 'schedule' with appropriate derision!

What they’re asking £150-£300 for when they “service” it I don’t know and I (I know John will appreciated this) won’t be partaking in this either.

Good man!

I’ll maybe let them see it every 3yrs or maybe not at all.

My MO has always been 'not at all', as the MoT performed by my trusty indy is more than sufficient to keep things safe.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Xileno

Very interesting review. As a second car they make a lot of sense, my neighbours ran a Zoe and had ICE for where range was an issue. They went back to both ICE as the renewal lease on the Zoe increased massively.

The 2030 deadline will slip to be aligned with the EU 2035 date. Probably after the next election.

"""The battery pack check they do is nothing more than looking at how many bars are on the dash display.""""

Funny how you brain becomes programmed. I just read that as "death display""

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - DavidGlos
The level of regen braking and consequent lack of use of the friction brakes on EVs can mean that discs need replacing quite regularly due to corrosion.

Edited by DavidGlos on 04/06/2023 at 09:33

The level of regen braking and consequent lack of use of the friction brakes on EVs can mean that discs need replacing quite regularly due to corrosion.

It could, I personally make sure I give them a regular bit of heavy exercise to keep them clear. But yes, they could suffer more from corrosion. Again, time will tell, it’s all new to me.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - edlithgow

Think I might take issue with that "need". Disk replacement was a standard feature of my MOT's in Scotland, though the brake function test was always fine.

I took to keeping a "for show" set of disks for the MOT test, and a "for use" set that I put on between MOT tests.

This of course meant that if the ""visible rust" was actually compromising safety in some (unexplained) way the MOT was rendered ineffective, but in that case they should have come up with a better explanation than "because we say so"

“ The 2030 deadline will slip to be aligned with the EU 2035 date. Probably after the next election.”

Agree, in fact I think it should be altered to allow small petrol engined 60mpg plus cars to continue on. Without these cheaper options many people are going to be priced off the road and dealers are going to close. I had a recent chat with a manager at our local Nissan dealer and they were bemoaning the loss of the Micra, which is apparently being delisted. They now have nothing to offer the elderly buyers who took a new one every few years. The rest of the range is out of contention due to price and without these bread and butter punters the business isn’t viable in the longterm. They’re all holding onto their old cars instead.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/06/2023 at 10:14

While I’m not planning on funding the survival of my local Nissan main s****** service department I’m not a convert regarding regular oil changes for petrol or diesel motors, my trusted local indi will continue to get his £120 a year for a service on old Terrance the Toyota. EV’s however really don’t need an annual wallet emptying (£150-£300) at the local dealer beyond the initial warranty term. I’m prepared to risk losing the remaining of the 8yr power pack warranty by not “servicing” it, though there’s no mention of this requirement in the battery guarantee as far as I can find. The battery pack is maintenance free so this will not cause any increased degradation.

It is in many ways liberating, beyond tyres and brakes, possibly the occasional suspension component a used EV should have no need to visit a garage fleecing department every year. Again, this will be all new to me. I wouldn’t be put off buying one without a service history, something I wouldn’t do with a petrol or diesel car.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - veloceman
Vauxhall have released their new electric Astra estate from £39,995.
However reading SLO findings of his leaf creates a completely different ball game.
2 year old Leafs, Corsa etc at around £15-16k is far more doable certainly if you are a 2 car family.
Ok still a long way from bangernomics granted but I wonder how much a £40k electric Astra will worth in 2 years time.
Vauxhall have released their new electric Astra estate from £39,995. However reading SLO findings of his leaf creates a completely different ball game. 2 year old Leafs, Corsa etc at around £15-16k is far more doable certainly if you are a 2 car family. Ok still a long way from bangernomics granted but I wonder how much a £40k electric Astra will worth in 2 years time.

£40,000 for an Astra makes absolutely no economic sense whatsoever, it’ll plummet in value wiping out any real savings. For us, we’re saving approximately £200 a month on fuel and the car cost less than the used diesel HRV that preceded it. Factor in free road tax and minimal servicing costs (if any) and a used Leaf (or similar) at £15k or less makes a strong case for itself.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - craig-pd130
I still love a good petrol or diesel engine, I love a slick manual gearbox. I like to drive, not float.

Excellent write-up. And I agree with the above. I used to enjoy pure EV mode on my plug-in hybrid, but it was also a refreshing change to chime in the petrol engine, flick it into 'sport' mode and get a proper shift on.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - paul 1963

All this talk of EV'S not needing servicing is wrong, if you care to open the bonnet you will see they still have coolant, pollen filters , brake fluid,washer fluid etc.

That said I really enjoyed your initial assessment of the Leaf SLO, hope wifey has many happy miles in it, love the fact your currently charging it for nothing, got a few free charge points round my way, seriously thinking of making our next car full electric...

All this talk of EV'S not needing servicing is wrong, if you care to open the bonnet you will see they still have coolant, pollen filters , brake fluid,washer fluid etc.

That said I really enjoyed your initial assessment of the Leaf SLO, hope wifey has many happy miles in it, love the fact your currently charging it for nothing, got a few free charge points round my way, seriously thinking of making our next car full electric...

If you look at Nissan’s own service schedule you’ll find everything is inspection only with exception of the brake fluid which is ridiculously replace every 24 months (I thought it was every 3yrs) and the A/C filter. There’s no coolant change advised until 15yrs, no oil change, no gearbox oil change etc etc, it’s all just inspection. You are however absolutely right in pointing out that not every EV is the same and I should be clear that I’m only talking about the Leaf, I haven’t looked at the schedules of anything else. I’ll check how much my local dealer charges before deciding how I’ll maintain it, but from the forum chat I’ve been reading it’s common not to touch them. I certainly wouldn’t be willing to pay the £150-£300 owners say they’ve been quoted for “servicing.” www.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/za/Maintenan...f

Edited by SLO76 on 04/06/2023 at 17:08

I took my Corsa-e for a service just before the end of the lease. They pulled the codes and changed the cabin air filter. About 20 minutes all told.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Ethan Edwards

My Mokka-e first service...main dealer annual service..75quid.

It's been absolutely great to own. Second service in four months.

My Mokka-e first service...main dealer annual service..75quid.

It's been absolutely great to own. Second service in four months.

If that’s all Nissan take I’ll certainly have it done, I haven’t asked yet but online figures suggest £150 for a minor service to £300 for a major, both of which are nonsense when you consider they don’t actually do anything beyond the major service changing the brake fluid.
Running update on SWMBO’s Leaf. It’s proving to be a very pleasant thing to own. The boss is happy as it’s saving her around £200 a month on fuel and it’s saving me a few quid as I regularly steal it for local runs to and from the gym/off-licence - depending on how work went. The only issue I’ve noticed is that it seems to pick up stone chips quite easily on the colour coded front pumper. Possibly down to her indoors being quite enthusiastic with the go pedal.

It’s perfect for her commute, requires a charge every two days and costs nothing via the charge Scotland tax payer funded network of charging points. She drops it off on her way home and walks the 15 mins home and I’ll pick it up later while out with the dogs. It’s not really causing any inconvenience, and even if we are a bit lazy on occasion, the home charger costs around £7 to give us around 140/150 miles making it much cheaper to run than a petrol or diesel equivalent.

It’s fine for days away as we’d rarely go more than 60/70 miles in one direction and if we did it’s usually easy enough to find a free charger or if we have to we can pay for a fast charge. It’s smooth, quick off the line and very easy to drive. A bit of an appliance, but it does handle surprisingly well. It has opened up other potential job opportunities for her as fuel costs aren’t an issue, just the time to get there and back.

As a sole family car it could manage the job for most people most of the time, but with a two car family that has access to a second petrol or diesel powered car for trips further away or airport car park abandonment it’s ideal. Hopefully it proves more robust than the modern Nissan’s I tell people on here not to buy, but from word of mouth and sifting through forums they do seem to be very reliable - touch wood.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - JonestHon

The Avensis and the Leaf sounds like a much better combo compared with the XC60. What happend to lording over mere mortals?!

The Avensis and the Leaf sounds like a much better combo compared with the XC60. What happend to lording over mere mortals?!

Oh, I didn’t like that Volvo. What a heap of junk. I made a mistake with that thing, but it was what SWMBO wanted and at least I got most of my money back. The Avensis and Leaf are a good combo. But I’d like a wee fun car too if I can gather enough cash together without her spending it.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Brit_in_Germany

I read a report that accident rates are generally lower for electric cars. I put this down to drivers leaving a larger gap to the car in front to allow for regenerative braking. Has 'her indoors' still to adapt her driving style?

I read a report that accident rates are generally lower for electric cars. I put this down to drivers leaving a larger gap to the car in front to allow for regenerative braking. Has 'her indoors' still to adapt her driving style?

I think it’s down to drivers simply going a bit slower and utilising the regenerative braking rather than flying up to junctions and jumping on the brakes. I’d say she has become a slower more relaxed driver (so far) by going electric. I’m quite a relaxed driver so it suits me well.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - mcb100
You could also argue that because, typically, EV’s are latest generation of technology, they’re more likely to be equipped with active safety features aimed at preventing accidents.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - pd

There have been a few reports regarding EV usage which generally say:

1. When people get an EV their mileage tends to go up. A combination of lower running costs and lack of "guilt" factor in driving it everywhere means people tend to get a "sod it, let's just take the car" attitude.

2. When households get an EV as part of a multi-car household their use of the EV as way higher than they predict with the EV becoming the "main" default car rather than the second car it was purchased as.

No idea whether any of this is true but the research is out there.

1. When people get an EV their mileage tends to go up. A combination of lower running costs and lack of "guilt" factor in driving it everywhere means people tend to get a "sod it, let's just take the car" attitude.

2. When households get an EV as part of a multi-car household their use of the EV as way higher than they predict with the EV becoming the "main" default car rather than the second car it was purchased as.

Please don't start with the Guilt nonsense. If you do want to feel guilty driving your EV think of all the extra emissions coming out of the power stations. There would be no need to burn so much gas. Also all the wasted energy that has gone into building your EV. The world cannot run without fossil fuel. To compound matters the Labour party want to destroy the oil and gas industry putting tens of thousands out of a job.

No idea if any of of your post is true either I suspect not

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - FP

"If you do want to feel guilty driving your EV think of all the extra emissions coming out of the power stations. There would be no need to burn so much gas."

- AFAIK the idea is that it is more efficient to burn the fossil fuel in bulk at a power station rather than piecemeal in individual cars. In any case, alternative clean power sources are now making a significant contribution, so the total pollution is a lot less. Not much to feel guilt about here.

"Also all the wasted energy that has gone into building your EV. The world cannot run without fossil fuel."

- Not wasted if there is a net gain to the environment over the life of an EV.

"To compound matters the Labour party want to destroy the oil and gas industry putting tens of thousands out of a job."

I'm not a great fan of the Labour Party, but I doubt there is any plan to "destroy the oil and gas industry". But please do post evidence to the contrary - I'd love to see it.

Please don't start with the Guilt nonsense. If you do want to feel guilty driving your EV think of all the extra emissions coming out of the power stations. There would be no need to burn so much gas. Also all the wasted energy that has gone into building your EV. The world cannot run without fossil fuel. To compound matters the Labour party want to destroy the oil and gas industry putting tens of thousands out of a job.

No idea if any of of your post is true either I suspect not

Nuclear/wind/solar - get more of them and then no extra emissions...sortted.

I’d agree here, we typically use it all the time rather than using my precious petrol. While I try to walk over shorter distances SWMBO will jump in the car to go round the corner.

"""I’d agree here, we typically use it all the time rather than using my precious petrol. While I try to walk over shorter distances SWMBO will jump in the car to go round the corner. ""

You have only had it 5 minutes so the novelty has not worn off . You must be only one of two in the country running an EV for almost nothing. There is a thread on here about EVs being subsidised may be you are the only one but I doubt it by far certainly not fully. I like the story of you walking to pick the car up at the free charger. In parts of the country people are now being penalised for staying on a charger once you are charged. Totally agree with you I walk everywhere local. Do you know almost 23% of households in the country do not own a car and I suspect most in this bracket cannot afford one and some can hardly afford the electric to run their house.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Crickleymal

A friend who is an archaeologist (not rich therefore), has an electric MG. He reckons it costs him half the amount his previous ICE car costs him in fuel and maintenance.

“ You have only had it 5 minutes so the novelty has not worn off.”

True, and only time will tell if it’s actually a good car and if all electric is viable family transport. Barring access to a Time Machine however I’ll just have to report on it one step at a time. So far so good though.

“You must be only one of two in the country running an EV for almost nothing.”

The rest of the electric cars sat down at our local cricket club car park are also enjoying a good feed of free electricity. Tonight there were seven others so I’d say your suggestion that we’re one of two is far from accurate. Possibly you mean the low initial purchase price compared to the others? We (or rather she) paid a lot less for our Leaf than they are for their BMW, Audi, VW etc etc EV’s. It does make it a very cheap car looking at the full picture, as long as it remains reliable. The list prices being quoted for new electric cars does kill the economic argument for me, pretty much every penny saved for most owners is wiped out by the higher price, but certain EV’s (namely the Leaf) do make a lot of sense used.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/06/2023 at 21:04

“ In parts of the country people are now being penalised for staying on a charger once you are charged”

I 100% agree with this, people who hog charging points all day or overnight are selfish. We put ours on long enough to take it to between 80-90% typically (this helps battery longevity) then we remove it allowing others to use the charger.
SWMBO is away for a while and has left her Leaf alone on the driveway, so I shall be using it for my commute this week. Today I gave it some welly to get a feel for it and it certainly goes well enough, it gave a Mk VI Golf GTi a shock away from a roundabout. It’s a bit floaty at speed (a bit French actually) and the steering is numb - as per the norm with modern cars. But it’s quite likeable, it’s quick to accelerate and it’s comfortable. Just about to nip to the charging point and pick it up with a battery (near) full of tax payer funded electricity. For the rest of the week I intend to seeing how good the range is by behaving myself.

it’s quick to accelerate

I can see there will be a lot of accidents with the new EVs as when there is not much traffic about the drivers use the acceleration to the full as I have seen in the early hours, which appears to be more cars making use of the power.

Enjoy the silence this week Slo! ( from the car obviously!) Did you have a look at that other one for yourself?

Enjoy the silence this week Slo! ( from the car obviously!) Did you have a look at that other one for yourself?

Still looking at ads for cheaper Leaf’s and Zoe’s but it would be in addition to the old Avensis which would be kept for longer runs. For all its worth it would be best kept as a backup and for my wee hillwalking and mountain biking excursions. So said cheapo EV would have to pay for itself via my £150 a month fuel bill. I may jump on a cheap private sale if one presents itself around £5k locally. But then I change my mind with the wind.
Well, first long run in the Leaf, just under 300 miles today. The car itself performed perfectly, it did 114 miles before its first stop, with 25 miles still showing. It juiced up in around 40 mins back up to 90% charge while we enjoyed the overpriced hospitality of Britains motorway service station network then we set off again. The car is quiet, quick and softly sprung on the motorway and a pleasant companion on the road.

This is however where things turned for the worse. A crash on the M6 seen us sent off course from the intended next stop which would’ve seen us top up again and complete our run with the two charges. Instead we ended up having to hunt down available and working fast chargers away from the motorway which was far more of a challenge than it should be in a nation which is soon to outlaw the sale of new petrol and diesel cars.

Our first port of call found is at a charger that wouldn’t work despite a call to the operator and a remote reset. We moved on and cost ourselves a further half hour or so finding another in the nearby town centre where we had to wait for a free charger. Luckily this didn’t take long and the charger itself worked perfectly.

We then returned to the motorway and were again held up by traffic necessitating a final short top up before competing our journey. We found another charger of the same brand as the previous one, and again it worked using a simple tap of a contactless card instead of having to mess around with different apps and registering cards etc etc etc etc. On arriving at our destination in Lincolnshire I tried to connect to one of the chargers in the resort. You download an app, register a payment card, top up your account then plug your car in, find the charger on the app (took ages to accept it existed) then begin charge and then “confirm charge” on their app. Do all this and after a 15 mins the b***** thing disconnects your car and you return to find it uncharged. I tried it three times and gave up, I’m now waiting on a refund from them.

Electric cars themselves are fine, they work well. They’re fast, smooth, reliable and cheap to run if you charge them at home or via free networks like ChargePlace Scotland and you don’t overpay for the car in the first place. The problems all relate to the woeful charging network in the UK. The charging points are all completely different in operation, there are loads of different firms, most demand you download their app and register a payment card then you’ll often find their stations don’t work or the app won’t communicate.

It’s been an interesting wee experiment, but it’s the last time the Leaf will be used on a long distance run. If it can’t make it there and back on a single charge from home then it won’t go. It cost us over two hours of messing around finding chargers (when they worked it charged quickly (30/40 mins) just enough time for a leisurely cuppa and a toilet break. The costs of using fast chargers (typically 79p per/kw) were higher than buying petrol or diesel and the network is patchy, unreliable and over complex.

I still like the car. Had we been able to charge it with ease and at sensible cost it would’ve required nothing more than two 30-40 min quick charges to get us here, instead the charging network has cost us time and caused unnecessary stress. This government are not taking the changeover to electric seriously at all. They must put money into charging infrastructure, they need to subsidise or cap charges and they need to enforce simple contactless card payments be accepted at all charging points in the UK. This was a pain for me today, and we’re both tech literate - well SWMBO and my 8yr old son are at any rate.

Total cost of electricity to do almost exactly 300 miles was £39. Hardly any cheaper than my old Toyota Avensis would’ve been on petrol and we’d’ve been here two hours earlier and much less flustered. I will now spend my first morning on holiday seeking out (and no doubt queuing at) a local fast charger. The hassle of which will deter some excursions I would otherwise have went on with a petrol or diesel car.

Overview… good car, but m****ic and absolutely useless government means we’re a long way from mainstream EV adoption. I hardly spotted one on the motorway today aside from the occasional Tesla.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/08/2023 at 01:15

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - catsdad

I did a similar long return trip last week in my Golf 1.4 at a lower cost per mile. It was about 12p a mile brim to brim. Those public chargers were extortionate.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - FiestaOwner

Total cost of electricity to do almost exactly 300 miles was £39. Hardly any cheaper than my old Toyota Avensis would’ve been on petrol and we’d’ve been here two hours earlier and much less flustered. I will now spend my first morning on holiday seeking out (and no doubt queuing at) a local fast charger. The hassle of which will deter some excursions I would otherwise have went on with a petrol or diesel car.

That £39 for 300 miles is really poor when you consider that you started your trip with a free charge and that one of your en-route charges was also free.

Yes, all public chargers should accept contactless payment. Supermarkets have been offering “Pay at the Pump” for decades. Surely it should be easy to offer “Pay at the Charger”.

Disappointing that, despite the advances in EV technology, plugging the thing into the grid is still such a major issue.

I really wonder how you would have got on if you had been doing that journey on a really cold winter's day, with the heater on too!

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Chris M

"They must put money into charging infrastructure, they need to subsidise or cap charges"

"They". That'll be the taxpayer then. I'm honestly not anti EV, but EV owners are getting enough subsidies at present. Let free market forces solve the issue at whatever cost to the consumer. The government doesn't subsidise petrol stations - capitalism has provided us with a fully working solution. The same will happen with the EV charging network in time and early adopters should accept it.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - madf

"They must put money into charging infrastructure, they need to subsidise or cap charges"

"They". That'll be the taxpayer then. I'm honestly not anti EV, but EV owners are getting enough subsidies at present. Let free market forces solve the issue at whatever cost to the consumer. The government doesn't subsidise petrol stations - capitalism has provided us with a fully working solution. The same will happen with the EV charging network in time and early adopters should accept it.

It is NOT a free market and ceased to be when the Government announced its laws on the sale of new cars.

ALL the charging suppliers hope to make money from this : it's a new market. Simple rule then: you need to ensure motorways are supplied with adequate numbers of chargers that work..How you organise that is your affair but just do it. Don't and pay penalties...

I don’t mind paying the same as petrol and diesel at public fast chargers, I do object to being fleeced though. For the sake of the environment we do need to encourage people to go electric and this won’t happen if it’s more costly than conventional cars when travelling any distance beyond local.

Fast chargers are converting grid ac to dc so the losses are in the charger rather than the on-board inverter so although the price is a rip off for providing you with the conenience, it is not as bad as it appears.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - mcintosh

Interesting report SLO - probably a bit too interesting from your POV.

This is exactly the kind of scenario that makes me hesitant about EVs. 95% of the time we’d be fine, especially as we could charge on our driveway.

It’s the 5% when you’re 300 miles from home. on holiday and trying to relax rather than chasing a charge that concerns me. Maybe you were just unlucky but it sounds like a b***** faff.

It’s all academic anyway as I’m hoping to get a few more years out of my aging but still reliable Toyota, Maybe the charging network will be better by then.

The downside of doing long journeys in what is increasingly a Betamax car in a VHS world (sorry, I can’t think of a more up to date analogy).
The rapid charging network is ploughing on, but increasingly with CCS connectors and not the CHAdeMO used by pretty much LEAF alone. 1999 new connections were installed in July alone.
Incidentally, did you see my advice to you on another post, to use ZapMap to navigate, that way you can use the filters to only use chargers that take contactless (most newer ones) and provide a CHAdeMO connector?
It’s a whole different world of charging when you’re not limited to a Japanese domestic specification charging connector.

Isn't there some kind of adaptor whereby the Leaf can be plugged into the CCS fast charger network? I'm sure it's more complicated than that or it would have been done.

Edited by Xileno on 05/08/2023 at 09:27

Completely different standards, unfortunately.
As an example, CCS uses a lock in the car to stop the cable being unplugged mid-charge, CHAdeMO has it in the plug.
The latest rapid chargers from IONITY, Osprey, MFG are CCS only.
On Nissan Ariya, they’re hedging their bets and have installed both sockets.

Edited by mcb100 on 05/08/2023 at 09:57

Thank you for the update SLO76. I am pleased that you like the Leaf. Your report only gives validation to many reports of similar stories. The EV is fine for some applications but the sheer aggravation the range and charger system causes is not worth it for the money spent and the period you may have to live with the car. I like to keep life as hassle free as possible.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - John F

Thanks SLO....v interesting to see these real life figures from a trusted source - 79p per kWh and £39 for c300 miles, i.e. 13p per mile. Astonishing. There must be either profiteering or the desire to repay as much installation capital cost as possible, because electriciity only costs around 5p per kWh to produce. As for EV chargers, there appear to be around 60,000, for over 800,000 EVs in the UK. I found this on line.....

As of the end of 2022, China had a total of 13.1 million new energy vehicles, while the number of charging stations stood at 5.21 million, resulting in a nationwide vehicle-to-charger ratio of 2.5:1.26 Jun 2023

........which shows just how poor we are. What with Trump, EV charger availability, the inability to improve our infrastructure (roads, rail, IT ) I am wondering whether western liberal democracy has had its day?

Edited by John F on 05/08/2023 at 10:09

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - madf

Thanks SLO....v interesting to see these real life figures from a trusted source - 79p per kWh and £39 for c300 miles, i.e. 13p per mile. ......

........which shows just how poor we are. What with Trump, EV charger availability, the inability to improve our infrastructure (roads, rail, IT ) I am wondering whether western liberal democracy has had its day?

The BBC had a program on EVs last Tuesday well worth watching.

And listening to National Grid and need for huge new pylon infrastucture needed to take windpower electricity to Grid, and Tory MPs opposing it and teh length of time for Planning Permission: think DECADES..- unless planning streamlined...

Then you realise we have been run by a bunch of deleted. And still are.

Edited by Xileno on 05/08/2023 at 11:58

There’s an element of newbie operator error involved in our experiences yesterday, but this could be avoided if a dose of common sense had been employed by government early on. All chargers should have standardised operation and all should legally have to take simple contactless payment plus fees should be capped at least until worthwhile competition can have an effect on prices.

All large supermarkets and shopping centres should have chargers, from our experience they bring in money on their own even if subsidised. The charger we stopped at for our second charge had 6 cars sitting with several of the owners nipping into the local shops and cafe to spend money.

Common sense says there will never be enough chargers in the right place at the right time. These chargers cost money and have to pay their way. The country is going to look ridiculous with all these Dalek things everywhere, electric leads strung across pavements and god knows where else. Just waiting for a start up company like the wheelie bins, " clean your charger cable Misses" Ugly pylons which should be a thing of the past not strung across across the beautiful countryside There must be more of a balance than blanket EVs. Agree with you on the simplification of the charger system but all want a share of the pot of gold.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Andrew-T

Common sense says there will never be enough chargers in the right place at the right time. These chargers cost money and have to pay their way.

Surely the same common sense would have said the same, 100 years ago, about the availability of roadside petrol stations ? By the time we started driving in the 60s and 70s, there were plenty, and since then at least half have disappeared.

I don't think so, but hopefully completely incompetent Tory governments have for a while. I'm in Denmark at the moment and it's marvellous. Infrastructure both exists and works. That's due in some part to having the world's highest tax burden.

I looked earlier to see what sort of tax gets charged here and how that compares to other countries. It really struck me that the UK's corporate tax levels are unusually low for a European economy. That, of course, is because we try to encourage corporations to be based in the UK because, with no real natural resources, manufacturing or agriculture, we are dependent on other people's money.

As has been said before, we are slowly reducing ourselves to a tax haven for the wealthy and their businesses, with no consideration to British people (wherever they or their families originally came from).

We're in a bit of a hole, but the only answer can be growth and improvement, not the starvation diet that we've been on since 2010.

<< ... the only answer can be growth and improvement ... >>

Perhaps even this mantra has had its day. Capitalism only works with steady growth, but deep down we all know that nothing grows indefinitely. The global crisis everyone is in has little room left for growth. Humans everywhere are increasing pressure on each other.

‘ All large supermarkets and shopping centres should have chargers, from our experience they bring in money on their own even if subsidised. ‘

I’ve no figures, but most do. Next time you’re in a reasonably sized supermarket car park, look around the perimeter of it. There’s a fair chance you’ll find a 50kW charger there. McDonalds also tend to have Instavolt units. Bannatyne gyms also for Instavolt. Have a look on ZapMap for your area.

One day, we’ll all have screens with Google Maps, and integrated to the battery and recent energy consumption. The image below shows a notional trip from where I am now (Selby, with an 84% state of charge) to Land’s End.
It’s plotted a 22 minute stop In Worcester and a 21 minute stop in Exeter, arriving with 10% charge.

1drv.ms/i/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg5w-R5XoMl-Z-QPRBw

Edited by mcb100 on 05/08/2023 at 13:05

‘ All large supermarkets and shopping centres should have chargers, from our experience they bring in money on their own even if subsidised. ‘ I’ve no figures, but most do. Next time you’re in a reasonably sized supermarket car park, look around the perimeter of it. There’s a fair chance you’ll find a 50kW charger there. McDonalds also tend to have Instavolt units. Bannatyne gyms also for Instavolt. Have a look on ZapMap for your area. One day, we’ll all have screens with Google Maps, and integrated to the battery and recent energy consumption. The image below shows a notional trip from where I am now (Selby, with an 84% state of charge) to Land’s End. It’s plotted a 22 minute stop In Worcester and a 21 minute stop in Exeter, arriving with 10% charge. 1drv.ms/i/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg5w-R5XoMl-Z-QPRBw

Utopia somewhere in the distant future. It will never happen let alone work. humans are not as intelligent as we think we are and to rely on computers too much is sheer folly. Basic things like banking parking and all aspects using a computer taking the human out of the human. I remember a post you made a while back on "anonymity". It applied to the conduct on the forum but equally anywhere else you remote communication not necessarily "" unfriendly" but unfeeling in loosing the human touch. You can go with your little computer to Land End and not communicate with another. Even if you have to stop you can get on one of those little screens in the services and order your food and coffee The you is NOT used in the personal tense just an example of where we are heading

yes I observe the perimeter of a fair few supermarkets. A guaranteed soaking when its raining charging or not!

‘ All large supermarkets and shopping centres should have chargers, from our experience they bring in money on their own even if subsidised. ‘ I’ve no figures, but most do. Next time you’re in a reasonably sized supermarket car park, look around the perimeter of it. There’s a fair chance you’ll find a 50kW charger there. McDonalds also tend to have Instavolt units. Bannatyne gyms also for Instavolt. Have a look on ZapMap for your area. One day, we’ll all have screens with Google Maps, and integrated to the battery and recent energy consumption. The image below shows a notional trip from where I am now (Selby, with an 84% state of charge) to Land’s End. It’s plotted a 22 minute stop In Worcester and a 21 minute stop in Exeter, arriving with 10% charge. 1drv.ms/i/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg5w-R5XoMl-Z-QPRBw

Utopia somewhere in the distant future. It will never happen let alone work. humans are not as intelligent as we think we are and to rely on computers too much is sheer folly. Basic things like banking parking and all aspects using a computer taking the human out of the human. I remember a post you made a while back on "anonymity". It applied to the conduct on the forum but equally anywhere else you remote communication not necessarily "" unfriendly" but unfeeling in loosing the human touch. You can go with your little computer to Land End and not communicate with another. Even if you have to stop you can get on one of those little screens in the services and order your food and coffee The you is NOT used in the personal tense just an example of where we are heading

yes I observe the perimeter of a fair few supermarkets. A guaranteed soaking when its raining charging or not!

I really do try to just ignore you these days, Sammy, but what on earth are.you on about now? It's not utopia somewhere in the future, it's real life right now.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - groaver
I observe the perimeter of a fair few supermarkets. A guaranteed soaking when its raining charging or not!

Umbrellas are suitably old tech! ;-)

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - FP

An incredible post from you-know-who.

I'd better not add to that, but most will know what I mean.

Edited by FP on 05/08/2023 at 20:21

I took it as fairly tongue-in-cheek, difficult to tell on a forum. Either way best we move on.

Hopefully in the next week we will have a bespoke EV Q&A thread where people can post questions themselves or anonymously if they prefer. These will be answered by an experienced person in the EV field. It will be a Q&A thread, not a debating chamber and hopefully we can get some clarity on the numerous EV issues that crop up on the forum and distinguish between fact and fiction.

I took it as fairly tongue-in-cheek, difficult to tell on a forum. Either way best we move on.

Hopefully in the next week we will have a bespoke EV Q&A thread where people can post questions themselves or anonymously if they prefer. These will be answered by an experienced person in the EV field. It will be a Q&A thread, not a debating chamber and hopefully we can get some clarity on the numerous EV issues that crop up on the forum and distinguish between fact and fiction.

Good idea!

<< Utopia somewhere in the distant future. >>

Utopia is very much like a rainbow. Very pretty and desirable, but despite all our efforts when we get there, there is always a new set of snags .... :-)

“I’ve no figures, but most do. Next time you’re in a reasonably sized supermarket car park, look around the perimeter of it. There’s a fair chance you’ll find a 50kW charger there. McDonalds also tend to have Instavolt units. Bannatyne gyms also for Instavolt. Have a look on ZapMap for your area.”

We’ve found more of them down here In supermarkets and McDonalds etc but they’re lacking up North. ZapMap already in use and it’s very handy. The InstaVolt chargers are excellent, easy to use and we’ve so far found them reliable.
It’s so futuristic it’s in the car I’m driving now. It’s also in a Renault Megane, as well as Volvos.

I’ve no idea what the bulk of your stream of consciousness was about, but how long do you think it takes to plug a car in? You can sit in it while it’s charging, you know. It’s a matter of seconds to grab the plug and plug it in. No longer than removing a fuel filler cap and inserting the fuel filler.

On the subject of a chademo to CCS connector it's not just the physical connection which is the issue but the software/ handshaking is different.

On the subject of a chademo to CCS connector it's not just the physical connection which is the issue but the software/ handshaking is different.

Ah The non compatible problem careful what you buy! And then there is the lucrative market in other adaptors The whole system is flawed and not thought out. Rushed in and will take some correcting. Not enough people trained in the trade with a good working knowledge.

Ah The non compatible problem careful what you buy! And then there is the lucrative market in other adaptors The whole system is flawed and not thought out. Rushed in and will take some correcting. Not enough people trained in the trade with a good working knowledge.

Well, no, not really. CCS is the European standard and what we'll all be using. The only car which uses Chademo is the Nissan Leaf (and possibly some Mitsubishi). Long term is is potentially an issue for LEAFs but there is always a Type 2 fall back.

Outlander PHEV does indeed use CHAdeMO, but that’s obviously plug-in hybrid.

Another interesting read. SLO76 you are not alone, another chap relating to his own problems finding a charger

"""I was left flat by my electric car charging experience (msn.com)

Another interesting read. SLO76 you are not alone, another chap relating to his own problems finding a charger

He seems to be having problems identifying what car he drives too. Still, considering he set off on a 75 mile journey with 35 miles of charge, I suppose we can't expect him to know the difference between a Skoda and a Fiat.

Hmmm, sounds more like an EV cynic trying to talk them down. Firstly he has no ability to charge it at home, thus an EV is wholly unsuitable to him to start with. Then he sets out on a journey with only 35 miles showing in his Skoda 500 (eh?) then he encounters the real and justified problem of EV ownership in the poor availability, accessibility and reliability of Britain’s charging network. It is an absolute shambles, with no joined up thinking involved.

New legislation is coming which enforces 99% reliability on providers and all chargers above 8kw must take simplecontactless payment, I’ve no idea why they didn’t make this mandatory on all chargers. This is the biggest problem, accessing these things is a lottery of different apps, decent phone signal and blind luck right now. More modern chargers like the Instavolt points we’ve used recently are much better, but grossly overpriced.

I’ll largely ignore advice written by someone who doesn’t know what car he’s actually driving and has set out to cause strife for himself in order to criticise EV’s. Who sets out with 35 miles of range left if you’ve no guarantee of a charger at the other end and left no margin for error? I always leave 20-30 miles minimum at my intended recharge point in order to cover any failures.

"""’ll largely ignore advice written by someone who doesn’t know what car he’s actually driving and has set out to cause strife for himself in order to criticise EV’s. Who sets out with 35 miles of range left if you’ve no guarantee of a charger at the other end and left no margin for error? I always leave 20-30 miles minimum at my intended recharge point in order to cover any failures. """

Article true or not as some are referring only demonstrates the sheer impracticality of EVs with the present back up structure. Running around trying to find a charge, going miles out of the way, wasting ones time and IF finally finding one that does work having to either queue or wait until you charge to move on. Oh and then you have to find your way back to your intended journey route.. I can jump in any ICE car if low on fuel and not worry about having to fuel it or a five minute stop to fill it up. No chasing around looking for a fuel station or just ONE single charger that might not be working or occupied Have you guys ever stopped to think what would happen if your phone system failed for any reason, you would not know where to turn. Again I would not want to have to run any part of my life dictated by a mobile phone. I cannot begin to imagine the road rage that would swell up in some frustrated people in these charger scenarios.

"""’ll largely ignore advice written by someone who doesn’t know what car he’s actually driving and has set out to cause strife for himself in order to criticise EV’s. Who sets out with 35 miles of range left if you’ve no guarantee of a charger at the other end and left no margin for error? I always leave 20-30 miles minimum at my intended recharge point in order to cover any failures. """

Article true or not as some are referring only demonstrates the sheer impracticality of EVs with the present back up structure. Running around trying to find a charge, going miles out of the way, wasting ones time and IF finally finding one that does work having to either queue or wait until you charge to move on. Oh and then you have to find your way back to your intended journey route.. I can jump in any ICE car if low on fuel and not worry about having to fuel it or a five minute stop to fill it up. No chasing around looking for a fuel station or just ONE single charger that might not be working or occupied Have you guys ever stopped to think what would happen if your phone system failed for any reason, you would not know where to turn. Again I would not want to have to run any part of my life dictated by a mobile phone. I cannot begin to imagine the road rage that would swell up in some frustrated people in these charger scenarios.

Whether it was a Fiat 500 or a Skoda Enyaq, all he had to do was charge it before he left and it would have been ideal for the journey he made.

I drive a petrol car to work (60 miles each way). If I have less than 150 miles range when I pass the petrol station near my house on the way home, I stop for fuel. It's exactly the same.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - corax

I can jump in any ICE car if low on fuel and not worry about having to fuel it or a five minute stop to fill it up. No chasing around looking for a fuel station or just ONE single charger that might not be working or occupied

To be fair you were born with the basic system for ICE already in place. It wouldn't have been like that to start with. And up to only recently, cars didn't start at home, they broke down by the side of the road, or have we forgotten all that.

Again I would not want to have to run any part of my life dictated by a mobile phone.

Rightly or wrongly, the world moves on, and you have to keep up, otherwise you could be left severely restricted in what you can do.

<< Again I would not want to have to run any part of my life dictated by a mobile phone.

Rightly or wrongly, the world moves on, and you have to keep up, otherwise you could be left severely restricted in what you can do. >>

Yes, we oldies are starting to grumble about it becoming increasingly necessary to download an app to manage everyday tasks. I don't want to keep cluttering my phone with apps, especially as I continue to do what I need with only a basic burner phone. And banks are gradually becoming virtual institutions - this town had four banks ten years ago, the last one (ours) closed last summer.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - corax
Yes, we oldies are starting to grumble about it becoming increasingly necessary to download an app to manage everyday tasks. I don't want to keep cluttering my phone with apps, especially as I continue to do what I need with only a basic burner phone. And banks are gradually becoming virtual institutions - this town had four banks ten years ago, the last one (ours) closed last summer.

I'm not particularly old, but I think there should always be a basic alternative to the technological route. We seem to live increasingly on a knife edge with no 'reserve tank'. I wonder what would happen if the computer systems went down for a considerable length of time. In some facets of life, simple is better.

I can jump in any ICE car if low on fuel and not worry about having to fuel it or a five minute stop to fill it up. No chasing around looking for a fuel station or just ONE single charger that might not be working or occupied

To be fair you were born with the basic system for ICE already in place. It wouldn't have been like that to start with. And up to only recently, cars didn't start at home, they broke down by the side of the road, or have we forgotten all that.

Again I would not want to have to run any part of my life dictated by a mobile phone.

Rightly or wrongly, the world moves on, and you have to keep up, otherwise you could be left severely restricted in what you can do.

When the motor car first started the Jerry can was invented to carry spare fuel with you. And even in the not too distant past a gallon in the boot was quite common.

As regards the world moving on yes it does and in most respects I am happy going with it. But being left with no alternatives for many aspects is not on and as this is a motoring forum paying for parking being one of them

I don’t know, and I’m wondering if you did, how many successful uses there are of public chargers there are in the UK daily?
It’d be a pretty dull story if I wrote in to the Telegraph/Mail/Express/GB News every time it happened.
‘Arrived, plugged in, tapped payment card, sat in car listening to Test Match Special’.
As usual, we hear when it’s gone wrong.
It’d be a pretty dull story if I wrote in to the Telegraph/Mail/Express/GB News every time it happened. ‘Arrived, plugged in, tapped payment card, sat in car listening to Test Match Special’.

Well, yes. But when filling an ICE car there is no point in listening to cricket, it only takes a few minutes ! I am disinterested in driving an EV, but that comparison is one of the downsides for me, plus the one most talked about, finding a public charger that is free and available.

Of the driver of the Fiat Enyak could have had a quick word with the driver of the Ford Hiace to discover that he only had 10 minutes to go (it’s a couple of 50kW at IKEA Wembley), so not long.
But then that wouldn’t have created another clickbait article from a right wing publication, would it?
Of the driver of the Fiat Enyak could have had a quick word with the driver of the Ford Hiace to discover that he only had 10 minutes to go (it’s a couple of 50kW at IKEA Wembley), so not long. But then that wouldn’t have created another clickbait article from a right wing publication, would it?

Yes of course there are thousands of charging applications going on daily without any problems. I put this latest one on because I thought it amusing and I noticed the car pictured was not the one. There does appear to be a general problem charging away from the normal hustle and bustle. As I have said before I have no axe to grind on EVs. I do not believe either that the press have any axe to grind either as to the reporting of EVs. They take a story and report it and if there are problems with life it is news no matter what or even amusing situations which cheer you up. In Cornwall this week, I take a lot of interest in Cornwall, there have been numerous reports of cars parking on beaches and getting stuck. A Merc was stuck in sand and then on another beach 4 Audis stuck, OH and today some expensive EV stuck on a beach in seaweed. The drivers totally irresponsible and it amuses people to see how stupid they are. I know that msn is a bit a comic site but it can be a entertaining and a quick way to gather trivia on all what is going on

In the not too distant EVs will indeed become the norm but there will still be camps of what people prefer but EVs I doubt will ever become classics.

but EVs I doubt will ever become classics.

If some are built like Teslas chassis, all in one, and using a rivet/bolt that some apparently cannot get to, I reckon they could last longer than the components inside including the drivetrain, possibly last longer than a standard car

I do not believe either that the press have any axe to grind either as to the reporting of EVs. They take a story and report it and if there are problems with life it is news no matter what or even amusing situations which cheer you up.

I suppose it's true they don't have a particular axe to grind with EV's - it's just what they use to get people to click on an 'article' so they get ad revenue. There is no news in it though, as it's all designed to make a story.

‘ Well, yes. But when filling an ICE car there is no point in listening to cricket, it only takes a few minutes ! I am disinterested in driving an EV, but that comparison is one of the downsides for me, plus the one most talked about, finding a public charger that is free and available.’

You make a valid, if blindingly obvious point. It takes longer to charge an EV than it does to fill with petrol or diesel.
However, the majority will do that whilst they’re asleep, or at work, and at much lesser cost. Because of professional interest, I’m in several owners’ groups online and one of the most regular questions goes along the lines of ‘I’ve had my x for nine months now and I need to use a public charger for the first time, any tips?’.
Unless you’re routinely doing 200+ miles daily, for the majority all charging will be done overnight. Yes, there are folk (like me) without an option to charge at home, and here compromise has to be made. Both in terms of convenience and cost.
But that inconvenience comes with the benefit that any journey made is at a vastly lower carbon intensity, massively less harmful to both local and global environments.

‘ Well, yes. But when filling an ICE car there is no point in listening to cricket, it only takes a few minutes ! I am disinterested in driving an EV, but that comparison is one of the downsides for me, plus the one most talked about, finding a public charger that is free and available.’ You make a valid, if blindingly obvious point. It takes longer to charge an EV than it does to fill with petrol or diesel. However, the majority will do that whilst they’re asleep, or at work, and at much lesser cost. Because of professional interest, I’m in several owners’ groups online and one of the most regular questions goes along the lines of ‘I’ve had my x for nine months now and I need to use a public charger for the first time, any tips?’. Unless you’re routinely doing 200+ miles daily, for the majority all charging will be done overnight. Yes, there are folk (like me) without an option to charge at home, and here compromise has to be made. Both in terms of convenience and cost. But that inconvenience comes with the benefit that any journey made is at a vastly lower carbon intensity, massively less harmful to both local and global environments.

Indeed. I had my Corsa-e for two years, charged once at work and once at a holiday cottage. I never used a public charger.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - bazza

Had a catch-up with a very good friend this week, turned up in their Audi Etron q4. With a home charger, the car is great around the city but they find it very stressful taking it beyond its range, queues, delays, complications with apps etc. Basically as above, the infrastructure is not ready yet. Also the purchase price nearly £60k!! The interior also, a definite step down from the usual Audi feel good factor.

You make a valid, if blindingly obvious point. It takes longer to charge an EV than it does to fill with petrol or diesel. However, the majority will do that whilst they’re asleep, or at work, and at much lesser cost.

Yes of course. If I owned an EV that is what I would do, as I can park off-road; and we hear tales of those that cannot (about 1 in 3) draping cables across the pavement. The need to listen to cricket then disappears. Charging an EV away from home, compared with buying fuel (which of course can't be done at home) is a definite downside.

After first day issues we’ve found the on-site chargers are actually free to use rather than the advertised 30p per k/w and there’s always one available. My phone signal (3) is dismal here though and won’t allow me to carry out the absolutely unnecessary “confirm charge” process on their app within 15 mins of putting the car on charge. But using SWMBO’s phone to do so has allowed us to travel around locally for free which is rather jolly. A wee visit to the Battle of Britain flight today was pleasant and the Typhoon display team have been practicing almost directly over our hot tub which again is a plus for me.

The return trip will be via a night in Blackpool which so charging should be less of an issue on the way home hopefully. But I have decided that we will retain a petrol car as our second vehicle for rare trips like this in the future or until the gaffer has upgraded her Leaf with an EV with a range in excess of 200 miles. In hindsight we should’ve paid the circa £3,000 extra for a used big battery Leaf which would have been more useful on longer trips.

There's quite a jump between the shorter range leaf and the longer one - about 55% increase in capacity/range which is a fair old chunk.

I'd expect the 62kwh version to be capable of 200 miles in pretty much all circumstances and it is faster as well. :)

There's quite a jump between the shorter range leaf and the longer one - about 55% increase in capacity/range which is a fair old chunk.

I'd expect the 62kwh version to be capable of 200 miles in pretty much all circumstances and it is faster as well. :)

Range is substantially improved, but performance not so much (0-60 7.3s compared to 7.9) and new cost is hugely inflated compared to the 40kw model. Handling is also hampered by the increased weight apparently with the equivalent of three adults extra involved in carrying that extra battery weight around, it also uses extra electricity, which is fine while it’s free. Used however, the £3,000 extra isn’t a disaster and it makes it much more useable as a main family car.

Range is substantially improved, but performance not so much (0-60 7.3s compared to 7.9) and new cost is hugely inflated compared to the 40kw model. Handling is also hampered by the increased weight apparently with the equivalent of three adults extra involved in carrying that extra battery weight around, it also uses extra electricity, which is fine while it’s free. Used however, the £3,000 extra isn’t a disaster and it makes it much more useable as a main family car.

Everything you say here contradicts buying the longer one. 7.9 plenty, cost silly compared, handling and weight negatives, cost to run eventually In short why buy this battery car as you said earlier far from ideal I would suggest. In fact does the ideal EV even exist for some

“ Everything you say here contradicts buying the longer one. 7.9 plenty, cost silly compared, handling and weight negatives, cost to run eventually In short why buy this battery car as you said earlier far from ideal I would suggest. In fact does the ideal EV even exist for some”

The difference in cost used is substantially less than when new, which makes it more viable. If the public charging network was better then the 40kw would be absolutely fine for most people, few will drive for longer than 2/3hrs without a 30-40 min break anyway. But the 62kw car just covers you when the charging network lets you down or diversions take you off course. I’d say at £16-£27k a used 62kw Leaf makes a sound buy and it’s much cheaper than more modern rivals at the moment, but I wouldn’t pay the circa £35k list price for a new one.
Just over ninety miles covered today into the lovely city of Lincoln and a wee trip a nearby flight museum, all covered with zero fuel costs thanks to Tattershall Lakes free charging.
Free charge at Tattershall Lakes then a 45 min stop for lunch plus £17 worth of fast charge took us to Blackpool. The hotel there offered free charging also so we got a further 120 miles foc. This is where things took a dive. The run back home to Scotland involves plenty of long motorway climbs which EV’s are not fond of. After a fast charge (£20) our useable range plummeted, meaning we had to stop just before Glasgow for a 10 minute top up.

Total cost when relying on overpriced motorway fast chargers is higher then petrol or diesel, despite initial free charge, but this in itself doesn’t upset me as we didn’t pay a premium for going electric to start with and we had a week of free electricity to explore Lincolnshire.

Overall view of travelling distance in a 40kw Nissan Leaf. The car is very pleasant to drive and practical. It’s an ideal commuter and workhorse within a radius of 50/60 miles from home where it’s comfortable 120/130 mile range leaves a bit of a margin. But the poor availability, reliability and the high cost of fast chargers combined with the limited number of times you can fast charge an EV before the battery pack overheats and dramatically throttles back the charging rate means they’re not suitable for travelling distance.

We had a diversion on our way down thanks to an accident which sent us off course and struggling to find an unoccupied and functional fast charger, the free chargers on site required you to have phone signal which was sadly lacking in Tattershall for some reason, then on our way back the hills decimated the range. All in taking the EV cost around 2hrs each way thanks to lower speeds and charging time. It saved a bit of money over the full week, but on the two longer trips themselves the fast chargers hammered the savings down.

Britain isn’t anywhere near ready for going fully electric nor is the technology itself. EV’s don’t come close to their advertised range unless driven like a 93yr old Honda Jazz owner on her way to Church on a Sunday morning. You need to dawdle along motorways dodging trucks and buses when travelling distance and there’s always the nagging fear that the next charger won’t work or will be occupied.

Like the one we found at Gretna with a very ignorant young lass in an Audi A1 sat in the only charger our Leaf could use, stating that she had “broken down” despite managing to pass every empty space in the near empty car park to block the only charger we wanted. Then her face was put out again when we politely asked her to close her passenger door so we could squeeze in beside her and stretch the cable over. On exiting the service station we were accused of videoing her and of reporting her by said unpleasant young lady along with somehow damaging her car, none of which occurred and no one had spoken to her or hit her car. She was highly ignorant and aggressive and the offer I was about to make of looking at her car was quickly swallowed and I happily left her sitting there.

In the same service station I overheard the owner of a 2015 Tesla moaning about how slow the charger was running with his car, but I suspect again that multiple fast charges had slowed progress down due to the heat buildup in the battery pack.

So, EV’s are great as commuters, local family workhorses and possibly ideal as city cars and superminis. Maybe taxis if they have access to free or cheap charging. But as a main family car taken on holiday over 300 miles in a day, nope. Battery power just doesn’t cut it. Range would need to more than double, the charging infrastructure needs to standardise, all need to take simple card payment and prices need controlled in the absence of any real competition. Take it above 70mph or climb long motorway hills and the range plummets below any useful level.

We won’t attempt another long distance run like that again, it’s too unpredictable, there are too many failure points, from ignorant people blocking chargers (seen this a lot on site at Tattershaw) through no phone signal to activate them and to failures of the chargers themselves or a lack of places. Hills kill them and repeated fast charges overheat the battery and reduce the charge rate and reduce lifespan.

It will be staying, it’s ideal for 99% of our usage, but the old Avensis will remain and ultimately its replacement will have a petrol motor under the bonnet. A point further reinforced by the trip up north I took yesterday to add another Munro to my tally. 126 miles on mostly steep and twisting B roads would’ve been too much for the Leaf and no usable chargers were to be found in Glen Coe.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/08/2023 at 23:53

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - expat

Thank you for such a detailed account of your EV experience. It is very good to get such a reasoned and dispassionate review by someone who doesn't have an axe to grind either for or against EVs.

Absolutely - couldn't agree more. Someone with personal experience covering both the pros and cons rather than a one-sided perspective.

Absolutely - couldn't agree more. Someone with personal experience covering both the pros and cons rather than a one-sided perspective.

Yes, interesting. I have no need to consider an EV but am mildly interested in watching it evolve. In fact I am only aware of seeing a few, owned by friends. But SLO's account confirms what I would expect to find on long journeys. I am mildly surprised that they get out of breath on motorway hills - presumably that may be the electronics protecting the system ?

“ I am mildly surprised that they get out of breath on motorway hills - presumably that may be the electronics protecting the system ?”

They don’t, they’ve bags of torque. The issue is that the range plummets on long hills.
Now try it in a more modern EV and report back.
The LEAF is a C segment family hatch with a battery 20% smaller than a current B segment superminis.
It doesn’t have a liquid cooled battery, so won’t rapid charge more than once a day.
And it has a charge socket that’s not being built into some newer rapid chargers.
From what I read of your use of the LEAF it does an admirable job around town, but progress, well, progresses, and it is now, pretty much, the worst choice of EV for travelling any distance at speed.
The car wasn’t up to making the journey a stress free experience, but to denounce the whole EV experience on the back of it is unfair.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Falkirk Bairn

A son's experience of his Porsche Taycan were both excellent & poor.

Excellent - loved driving it, charged at home 8c per unit, commute.

Poor /very poor - range never got near 280 miles - battery changed 2 x, trailered back to dealer 3/4 times in 3/4 months last winter

Could not use it on 2 events - 11 year old daughter caught Covid at School "week away" mid week car would need charge also it was 130 miles away (Took 2nd car)

He had tickets for F1 US GP - could get there with a stop for a top up BUT F1 huge numbers in Austin gave him charge point anxiety

Bought a Cayenne - 7 months on a happy man apart from the petrol costs as against 8c a unit.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - _
The car wasn’t up to making the journey a stress free experience, but to denounce the whole EV experience on the back of it is unfair.

The whole point of the OP (in my humble opinion) is the point of being a BUDGET EV adopter, which I think Slo makes his point very well. I could go out now and buy an EV, ( perhaps suggested by you ) and where would it get me?

The points that some are making about range anxiety, and especially the charging infrastructure are very real.

The fears that some have about the risks of batteries overheating are not a figment of someones imagination, they happen and make people nervous.

Yes I understand that technology will improve lifespan and safety but Come to Colchester and I will show you a bank of 3 boarded up chargers within a mile, because they were poorly situated. What is the cost of moving them ? Hmmm.

Against that, our local (greene King pub) has installed some chargers. (Get zapped while you get Zapped?)

People do have concerns about range, they do have concerns about being able to charge the car, and being able to pay for it.

Being an early adopter can have benefits, but equally drawbacks.

Please let us have a review as Slo did. A journey from Boxted, Colchester to Mold North wales , 254 miles each way, generally a comfort stop on the M54 going and the Rugby services returning. That is a regular journey undertaken by me or in laws.

So, Please, 254 mile journey, how much safe reserve do i need, say driving at the speeds normal (ish) on that route, A12.A14 M6 M54 and then past Wrexham finishing in Mold.

Allow for average variable British weather and congestion on the M6.

Must be able to do the entire journey without a charging stop as I can do in the Korando or Venga and still have a reserve of 50 miles which is when either car fuel warning light comes on.

Reply awaited please MCB

Other alternative.

1. Bring a car and do it with me, supply something with a suitable range plus the reserves

I'll pay the entire fuel costs each way plus all food.

OR

2. let me try it for a minimum of a week or 10 days, as having owned lots of cars, I have been severely disappointed at times too.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/08/2023 at 07:53

There are a number of EVs (Tesla, Polestar, Mercedes, VW, Skoda) that will cover that journey with ease, albeit it they cost a lot. If you'll pay hire costs too, I'll happily rent one and drive it 254 miles....

If we're looking at budget / used EVs, I think the point MCB keeps making is that the issue with a Leaf is that it uses an increasingly obsolete (fast) charging port so the infrastructure for it is getting worse, not better. A Renault Zoe wouldn't have the same issues.

A Zoe, though, would not have some of the benefits of a Leaf (such as space). Just like a Polestar would cost several times.more. it is not exclusively about the means of propulsion, so you can't just say EVs can't cover long distances, the same as you can say ICEs are rubbish off road because McLarens are.

Think your being a bit harsh on MCB ORB, he makes a totally valid point, SLo's report of his road trip while very interesting and informative does prove he had the wrong car for the trip and he's admitted as much.

His Leaf is a city car, Adam in his post rightly says that there many modern EV's that could do the journey easily, why don't you go rent one for a weekend?

If it looks harsh. Apologies. Certainly not meant to be harsh on MCB.

His points are valid. But as I said Slo has done a budget EV experience. 2 different things.

My wishes for a real life range are only to make the point that for the moment it isn't viable for me on a sensible budget.

I could if I would buy one of the cheaper long range cars. But to do that would cost me north of £60.000 plus my part exchange.

But yes things will improve.

Equally dismissing some peoples fears and doubts isn't the best way forward.

If my usage was purely localised I'd get an MG4 or 5 like a shot.

MG4 cracking looking car well priced.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/08/2023 at 10:14

If it looks harsh. Apologies. Certainly not meant to be harsh on MCB.

His points are valid. But as I said Slo has done a budget EV experience. 2 different things.

My wishes for a real life range are only to make the point that for the moment it isn't viable for me on a sensible budget.

I could if I would buy one of the cheaper long range cars. But to do that would cost me north of £60.000 plus my part exchange.

But yes things will improve.

Equally dismissing some peoples fears and doubts isn't the best way forward.

If my usage was purely localised I'd get an MG4 or 5 like a shot.

MG4 cracking looking car well priced.

The MG4 extended range will do your 254 miles and cost you £36,500.

I may sound negative about EV’s in general here but my intention was to pass judgement about the Leaf 40kw only. I accept that other more modern EV’s with larger battery packs would’ve managed this trip better.

However, the idea here was to buy an electric car for similar money to an equivalent petrol or diesel model. At £13,600 for a three year old 30,000 mile car, it pretty much matches equivalent Mazda 3/Ford Focus rivals of similar age to buy an asks is affordable to ordinary working people. To buy a newer more modem design with greater range costs typically between seven to ten thousand pounds more than an equivalent petrol or diesel model, which completely wipes out any potential fuel savings over the typical 3/4yr ownership term, and that’s not factoring in the higher depreciation EV’s suffer from. I’ve noticed also that leasing and PCP rates have soared on them of late as leasing firms take a bath on used values.

I like the way EV’s drive, they’re smooth, quiet, quick and efficient. But the additional cost is huge and they simply don’t stack up economically unless you’re able to buy it for similar money to a conventionally powered alternative. Then, as with our Leaf, there is a substantial saving to be had. There are compromises to be handled however, and long distance travel is hugely compromised. You’re reliant on not being detoured, chargers being available and in working order. Hilly terrain also hammers range and multiple fast charges damages the battery pack and charging rates will reduce after two in older designs like the Leaf. Though again listening to that Tesla driver, they’re not immune from this either.

SLO. You've made the point several times regarding the high cost of charging at motorway services and the same is true for petrol/diesel. Petrol was almost 30p/litre dearer on the M4 last week. However, the same way I can use one of the petrol price apps to find a supermarket within a mile or two of a motorway junction, surely there are apps that will do the same for EVs. With the issues you faced on the way down, didn't you do a bit of research for the journey home?

We all know the cost of fuel of whatever type varies, and scalping comes to mind for some M'way prices, yet Fuel retailers will not refuse any valid credit or debit card.

We go to France belgium and germany and force of habit we have learned where is best to fuel up.

It will come for EV charging too.

As I said before for SLO it is a valid post about BUDGET EV driving, and purely for colchester + 50 miles would be ok here too. Apart from the loss on the Korando...OUCH !!!

Not sure ORB if you've post is in direct response to mine, but I'm not suggesting SLO's post isn't valid. It a report on what I guess he knew already. Wrong car for the journey. Low range, 'Betamax' technology and a battery that doesn't like frequent fast charging.

Since he got it a few weeks ago, he has been able to charge it at other's expense and probably knew where he was staying (Lincolnshire and Blackpool) would be paid for by others. Maybe the thought of more free motoring swayed him?

He knows about cars and wouldn't recommend diesel for low mileage or automated manuals amongst other features. All I'm asking is did he modify his plans for the return journey given what he learnt on the way down.

Chris, All your points are valid too, and

Maybe the thought of more free motoring swayed him?

Very possibly.

Betamax was the better system allegedly but advertising won the day.

Do you remember those Phillips 12" DVD's.?

Yes I recall Betamax being labelled the better technology.

The Philips LaserDisc - never seen one in the flesh, but we did have a Panasonic DVD recorder. Worked well whilst it worked, but it was unreliable and didn't last for long.

“ He knows about cars and wouldn't recommend diesel for low mileage or automated manuals amongst other features. All I'm asking is did he modify his plans for the return journey given what he learnt on the way down.”

Suggestions?

SLO's comments are relevant for the technology he is driving but the experience cannot be extrapolated to EVs with more sophisticated technology. The part of the post where the pathetic range of the Leaf was used to tar other cars was simply wrong, viz "So, EV’s are great as commuters, local family workhorses and possibly ideal as city cars and superminis. Maybe taxis if they have access to free or cheap charging. But as a main family car taken on holiday over 300 miles in a day, nope. Battery power just doesn’t cut it."

SLO's comments are relevant for the technology he is driving but the experience cannot be extrapolated to EVs with more sophisticated technology. The part of the post where the pathetic range of the Leaf was used to tar other cars was simply wrong, viz "So, EV’s are great as commuters, local family workhorses and possibly ideal as city cars and superminis. Maybe taxis if they have access to free or cheap charging. But as a main family car taken on holiday over 300 miles in a day, nope. Battery power just doesn’t cut it."

Fair point, should’ve said affordable EV’s. Modern and hugely expensive EV’s can be had with an 250/300 official range, which would make longer journeys much easier, but the added upfront cost wipes out any actual saving over petrol or diesel. The Leaf is really the only pound for pound viable used EV on the market, but there are compromises you need to accept which explains the low used values. Can you buy an affordable used EV for the same money as an equivalent petrol or diesel model which can manage the full role of family transport? The Leaf manages the bulk of the role but it’s too compromised for long distance driving to fully replace said conventional family car. I don’t see the point in spending 7-10k more than a petrol or diesel car to save 1.5/2k per year on fuel at best especially when there’s still a big question mark over just how environmentally friendly EV’s really are.

SLO. You've made the point several times regarding the high cost of charging at motorway services and the same is true for petrol/diesel. Petrol was almost 30p/litre dearer on the M4 last week. However, the same way I can use one of the petrol price apps to find a supermarket within a mile or two of a motorway junction, surely there are apps that will do the same for EVs. With the issues you faced on the way down, didn't you do a bit of research for the journey home?

The only real issue we had related to an accident on the M6 forcing a diversion away from our planned stop, something which wouldn’t have been an issue in a petrol or diesel car. We did use the Zap map app but it took us to two charging points on the whole trip which showed as working but were not. As for the costs, the difference between motorway and off fast charging was at best 10p Kw and not worth chasing. I accept that offering genuine ev charging price competition at this stage is a challenge. On the return trip the long motorway hills took more out of the range than I expected, this is down to lack of experience and something EV owners will have to get used to. Even bigger battery cars at much higher cost would suffer from this too. It almost halved our range.

I'm surprised the price difference was so little given how petrol and diesel is priced at motorway services.

I've never looked into the EV charging infrastructure and other than a couple of local supermarkets (which I guess aren't fast), I wouldn't have a a clue where to go. I suppose I thought they were more widespread than that and there's an app that takes you there.

The EV driver’s (online) guide to all things charging.

3.10.13.178/ev-stats/how-many-charging-points

And, bear in mind that the best estimate is that c80% of all charging is done at home.

<< The only real issue we had related to an accident ... forcing a diversion away from our planned stop, something which wouldn’t have been an issue in a petrol or diesel car. >>

This made me take stock. My 'toy' 205 does fortnightly 40-mile trips into north Wales, all but the last 2 miles of my preferred route on A roads. My usual fuel stop is 3 miles after leaving home ; after that I pass no further filling stations, tho there are two not far off. If I were to meet an unexpected road closure with my tank close to empty, I suppose I could be in the same position as in a Leaf ? A falling leaf, perhaps ....

‘ especially when there’s still a big question mark over just how environmentally friendly EV’s really are.’

There really isn’t - whole life carbon intensity of an EV is about a third that of a fossil fuel burning equivalent, and improving as we transition more towards greater use of renewables for energy production.
‘ especially when there’s still a big question mark over just how environmentally friendly EV’s really are.’

No, Electric Cars Don't Pollute More (skeptoid.com)

Plenty of arguments on both sides, but ultimately it costs far more to build them and production causes substantially more environmental damage. What these articles rarely factor in however is the reduced lifespan of an EV over a typical petrol car. It’s early days with newer and more modern designs, but early 2011/12 Nissan Leaf 24kw’s are often on sale with as little as 50% capacity remaining in their battery packs, making them next to useless. In order to get one to reach the typical scrapping age of a combustion engined car you’ll need a replacement battery pack at huge cost both in monetary and environmental terms, most are on the cusp of being scrapped by the time they hit 10yrs old.

As you can tell, I’m not 100% sold on the environmental argument, I’m a bit in the fence here. Old battery packs can be recycled or used with home solar energy power systems but the cars do ultimately end up going for scrap much earlier than a combustion engined vehicle and they cause more environmental damage at the beginning. It is however much easier to control emissions at central power stations than in millions of individual engines. It’s early days though and these early model EV’s had many flaws which are hopefully addressed in newer examples.

I lap up any and all arguments on both sides though, I like our EV so far despite the minor inconvenience of it not being fit for our once or twice a year road trip. I believe that electric is part of the solution to our environmental woes, but I also believe that small lightweight and cheap to build petrol engined city cars and superminis which are typically doing low annual mileages will almost certainly be less damaging to the environment over full life term. The biggest gain environmentally to be had from EV’s is that the huge cost will drive people out of their own cars and onto trains and buses as the ban takes hold, unless the promised revolution in battery tech steps out from the shadows and makes EV’s affordable to the masses. www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10161697/...l

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2023 at 23:18

Yes, there are arguments on both sides, but pro-EV has all the best data and evidence :).

That data is also showing a typical battery degradation at 2.3% annually. Given that the average lifespan of a car in the UK is 13-14 years, the batteries will outlive them. My 62 reg, 100,000 mile old Megane had 130ps when it was new - I’d wager that if you put it on a dyno now, it’s probably lost a fair old chunk of power.

Battery tech is improving massively - a few weeks ago I drove Dover to Oldham in an Astra-E (give or take the same size as a LEAF). I can’t remember the figure’s exactly, but with a 54kWh battery it took probably a half hour stop at Rugby to get home (291 miles) and still keep a comfortable margin in the battery.

The jury is arguably still out on longevity. The reality is until a significant numbers of different models hit 10+ years old and 150k miles we don't really know.

Early LEAFs are just one model and very early tech at that so perhaps we shouldn't judge all by one car.

A lot of new models use LFP batteries in the lower capacity versions which should have better long term performance so it might be the entry level EVs in some ranges will be the better used buy.

The jury is arguably still out on longevity. The reality is until a significant numbers of different models hit 10+ years old and 150k miles we don't really know.

EVs are still on the steep part of the evolution curve. When the flatter part is reached - mature variety of battery, probably - longevity will be determined more by fashion than design. ICE cars have been there for 30 or 40 years. When every punter who wants a particular model has one, makers have to come up with something different.

There was a time about the 80s/90s when makers realised their cars had to last longer, so they developed better rustproofing at the factory. By the 2000s they thought they had gone too far, old models were lasting too long. Like my 32-year-old Pug, and its predecessor, both of which are remarked upon at every MoT test.

Wee update.

Today we traveled to Ingliston park and ride just outside of Edinburgh, via a pick up in Kilmarnock in SWMBO’s Leaf. Range on the guessometer at the start was 136 miles, we drove approximately 80 miles and were left with 29% charge left and 36 miles. So that’s around 116 miles during the day with no lights on but the heating was on for part of the run as the windscreen constantly mists up - a common issue with the Leaf. Speeds were typical UK dual carriageway fare, I wasn’t crawling along at 55mph. The range was worse than expected due to the number of hills on the route, thus the return trip used noticeably less charge.

There was plenty of free parking and ample charging stations, the tram ride into Edinburgh is frequent and quick. I don’t know why anyone would drive into the city at all, it’s a pain to park and it’ll cost more than the return tram ride and take much longer. All good then? No, sadly not. The usual EV problem flagged up yet again, every one of the chargers on site were offline. Calling both numbers on them (Charge Place Scotland and the manufacturer) offered no help at all, apparently we needed to contact the owners of the site, though no contact details were on the machines for said firm. We asked a member of staff for Lothian Buses who apparently own it and she was completely useless, no idea who owned them or what needed to be done to get them sorted. A quick look online shows they’ve been out of order for weeks despite the hugely busy location.

Fortunately I left enough charge to make it to a fast charger on the M8 on our return trip, this was no problem at all to use, took all of 30 mins to give us enough go go to get home, but cost more than an equivalent petrol or diesel car at 85p pKW which is in no way shape or form going to encourage people out of their fossil fuelled vehicles.

I feel for the poor lady we got talking to who pulled up next to us at the site, she had a new electric Fiat 500 that she was still getting used to. With less than 3 miles of range remaining she wasn’t going to be able to get to another charger without a big dose of luck and a strong tailwind. This is the killer for EV’s in this country. We should not be in a position where a large park and ride facility at a busy city all built to encourage people to use electric trams and electric cars has no working car chargers, a problem which is apparently historic at this particular site.

You simply can’t rely on the infrastructure in the UK as it stands. Charging points need to be easily accessible, no apps, no contracts etc, just a simple tap of your contactless card and off you go and they absolutely must be reliable. They should be constantly linked into their parent firm and as soon as they go offline they need to be sorted. Instead they can sit for ages offline before anyone reports the things or attends to fix them.

Again, as much as I like the Leaf, it’s flawed due to its limited range but this wouldn’t be a problem at all if the infrastructure actually worked and if it wasn’t grossly overpriced as in the case of fast chargers. We remain a one EV, one petrol car family, and will remain so until our useless leaders get their act together.

No doubt it’ll be pointed out that a more modern EV with greater range would’ve managed the trip without need to charge, but the huge additional cost of one of these over an equivalent petrol or diesel car more than wipes out any fuel saving without a company car tax perk of some sort. The Leaf is really the only EV available used at the same money as an equivalent petrol model. Just make sure you don’t travel more than 60 miles from home, as you cannot rely on our poor infrastructure and our motorway services are dearer than filling with petrol or diesel.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/10/2023 at 23:56

It's no secret that the motorway type charge stations are expensive, especially among EV drivers. That 85p would take you maybe 4 miles, so around 21ppm. ICE would be around 15ppm @ 45mpg or around 18ppm at motorway service prices. Is that difference really such an issue considering most EV owners can charge at home for peanuts. For occasional trips out, what's the problem with the price.

Reliability is another issue but couldn't a bit of prior research forewarn you?

If the government are serious about converting everyone to electric then they need to make them as easy to use as a petrol or diesel equivalent. Having to sit and plan out a journey via what charging points are working on the day isn’t acceptable and charging people for being more environmentally friendly more to fuel said vehicles than fossil fuelled cars isn’t going to encourage wholesale adoption.

My experiment here is to see if an EV can be bought and run as a main family car for less than a petrol or diesel equivalent. New EV’s are grotesquely overpriced and more than wipe out any fuel savings, they’re really only viable if there’s a big company vehicle tax break which isn’t available to the bulk of us. The Leaf is really the only viable option (the Hyundai Iconiq has a few reliability issues) as the trade have corrected it’s unrealistic new price but the charging infrastructure limits its use as main family transport, for now. As a second car and commuter it is however excellent. It’s smooth, easy to drive, quick and spacious. As with almost all modern cars with electric rather than hydraulic steering and also with no manual gearbox it is absolutely numb to drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/10/2023 at 07:36

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - RichardW
If the government are serious about converting everyone to electric then they need to make them as easy to use as a petrol or diesel equivalent. Having to sit and plan out a journey via what charging points are working on the day isn’t acceptable and charging people for being more environmentally friendly more to fuel said vehicles than fossil fuelled cars isn’t going to encourage wholesale adoption.

it's just not going to happen... not for a very long time anyway. Consider a Mway service station. Most people stop every 2 hours, which is about 140 miles. For most EVs this will be around 50kWh, so assuming a 30 min charge (which is probably at the top end of what people will stand) you need a 100kW charger - for every car. If 200 spaces, that's a load of at least 20 MW (probably nearly 25 with losses); 400 spaces 40MW etc. Each service station is going to need its own power station. SMR anyone?

<< Each service station is going to need its own power station. >>

About time someone else pointed out these simple calculations. It's not hard to get by with an EV when there aren't that many on the road demanding supply. Scale it all up, and it starts to look rather daunting ?

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - martin.mc

Don't forget all the vans and other commercials, in fact anything below 3.5 Tonnes. Their range will be shorter than that of most cars.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - gordonbennet
If the government are serious about converting everyone to electric then they need to make them as easy to use as a petrol or diesel equivalent.

Thankyou SLO for your scrupulously fair and informative reports on this electric experiment, been most illuminating, neither the antis (i'm not one i just won't be having one myself) or the proponents of battery cars could take real issue with your reports.

As you rightly say for business and company car drivers the tax breaks make it a very worthwhile alternative, especially IMO if there's the budget to plump for Tesla without doubt the best all round bearing in mind their charging facilites (so far), for the rest of us plebs it will be years before we would be making the change voluntarily, which is why its going to be forced in various ways.

Interesting that where we live, 3 roads older bungalows, many retired occupants, almost all residents are working class even if they think otherwise, there's not a battery car to be seen.

for the rest of us plebs it will be years before we would be making the change voluntarily, which is why its going to be forced in various ways.

Thats the part a lot find annoying, the freedom to choose what fuel you want, regardless of how green it is, though there are and will be alternatives out there...to keep ICE going...

Another charging issue. Popped into town today for a couple of hours and decided to save myself a couple of pounds by using one of the free ChargePlace Scotland chargers. First one was offline, trip round the corner to another which connected and started charging fine, but added almost nothing after two hours so must have a fault. Third machine (a fast charger) had a physically broken plug when I nipped back in for a much needed haircut.

Luckily we have a home charger and cheap off-peak electricity to provide for it as the public charging network in this country is an absolute shambles. They either don’t work, won’t connect thanks to poor Wi-Fi signal or they’re charging 85p pKW/h, which is dearer than petrol or diesel per mile.

Do not consider an ev if you don’t have off street parking and a home charger. When you do have to rely on public chargers, make sure you leave plenty of reserve in case you need to go hunting. I’m no longer going to use them, I’ll rely solely on our home charger to avoid this pointless waste of time. Now, despite my moaning if you remove the useless public charging network from your electric vehicle experience then it’s very much pain free. Simply use it then plug it in at home and let it charge overnight on cheapo electricity, ours costs less than £3 to fill.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/11/2023 at 16:25

Having owned, and been very happy with, an EV I would agree that you'd be mad to have one if you can't charge at home. You'd also be mad to buy one brand new outright.

Just on the company car / tax break thing; anybody who is employed by a decent-sized company should be able to access this. That's how I had mine. I paid for it, but it was on salary sacrifice so I saved a lot on Income tax and paid minimal BIK. It cost my employer nothing. Anybody who doesn't have it available could pester their HR department to get it.

It's still expensive - my Corsa was about £330 a month on a 2 year lease and 10,000 PA mileage but my colleagues with e-Trons and EV6s (now that purchase subsidies have ended) are paying well over £500 on four year leases. That does include insurance, servicing and tyres but that's probably worth £150 a month at most.

I’m beginning to think that this is a ChargePlace Scotland issue, rather than a national one.
Their website does show a sizeable list of out of action chargers, and makes me wonder if it’s a network on its way out. I’ve read that it’ll be put into private hands.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/chargeplace-sc...p

By contrast I had to use two rapid chargers yesterday - the first (Applegreen at Hartshead Moor), I plugged in, tapped a debit card and charged for 15 minutes. The second was IONITY at Skelton Lake - hold the front page, but I had to wait 10 minutes to get on one. They’re always busy due to being 35p per kW/h for users that have a manufacturer supplied deal with IONITY.
“’m beginning to think that this is a ChargePlace Scotland issue, rather than a national one. ”

Could be, as per the norm with anything state run, it is poorly managed. Chargers aren’t well maintained, there seems to be an issue with who is responsible for them with ChargePlace directing us to land owners where said chargers are sited, only for said firms to deny any responsibility. Few new chargers are being installed and locations are strange at best, with some small local villages and towns having too much capacity and our larger home town and its neighbour badly lacking. It’s all a bit slapdash.

Yes, the privately run fast charging network seems much better maintained and we’ve not had any major issues finding one when needed, but the cost is higher than petrol or diesel at 85p pKW. We only use these on longer runs, and then only with much reluctance. There’s clear price fixing ongoing regarding pricing, as they pretty much all charge the same. At home I pay less than 9p pKW. I don’t mind someone making a profit, but these things are installed via tax payer funded subsidies yet we are expected to pay a huge premium to use them.

My workplace has applied for a grant to have chargers installed for the staff and paying customers to use. They’re very proactive about EV’s, having three electric buses and just ordered another seventeen. Again though, mostly funded by tax payers. Don’t be surprised if I snap up a cheap Mk I Leaf 24kwh as a commuter should one present itself at can’t say no sort of money privately, Old Terrance the Toyota would remain as hill walking/mountain bike workhorse for occasional use though. It’s just too useful.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/11/2023 at 19:47

Deep, dark, wet and cold Scottish winter EV update… These things are hopeless in winter. The real life range has dropped from around 140 miles with me driving to more like 90 with the lights, wipers and heating on. It still manages its commuting and local runabout duties without fuss, and passed its first Mot in our ownership without any advisories. Costs so far, £0 road tax, around £3 to fill and zero repairs. It’s absolutely no use as a main family car however, due to its limited range especially in winter, but it’s a fantastic city car, with bags of acceleration and loads of space inside.

Repeated the same trip to Edinburgh, via Ingleston park and ride. But this time it was made in my 13yr old 110,000 miles petrol Toyota Avensis, and I’m glad we did so as lo and behold, the b***** chargers are still all offline. I’d love to go green, but what can you do when the government won’t act to support their own agenda. These chargers have been off for months now. At least some carbon was saved by avoiding the drive into the city - the tram is excellent, it’s quicker and cheaper than driving into and parking in the city. No one wants to take responsibility for those non-functional chargers however.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/12/2023 at 21:59

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - gordonbennet

And not even cold yet, as you describe well where it suits your use fine but the charging situation like everything else these days can't be trusted.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - nellyjak

SLO's Leaf is great as a shopping cart.!..But for anything more I won't go anywhere near a BEV just now...not until there is a charging infrastucture with reliability and commonality..just like a typical petrol/diesel filling station.

Can't see that happening in the driving years I've got left tbh.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Wee Willie Winkie

I'm guessing your Leaf doesn't have a heat pump? That'll account for a good portion of your range loss. Whilst my range does decrease in winter - it's physics, innit - I don't see nearly as much loss as you.

My regular EV drive, a Polestar 2 (this one doesn’t have a heat pump) shows a consistent 330 miles range on a 100% battery, seemingly regardless of temperature.
I never get through that distance in a day, but the range decreases proportionally with the battery - a 50% state of charge will show 165-170 miles range.
Batteries and battery management have moved on in a comparatively short time.

Edited by mcb100 on 12/12/2023 at 08:46

Looking back at SLO's original post just 6 months ago.

"A good used Nissan Leaf at under £15,000 can make for an excellent commuter car or taxi."

I think SLO's was 3 years old when he got it?

Very nearly new available now for £17k

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312054577056

Old tech? Time of year? Sluggish economy? A bit of all three perhaps.

Be interesting to visit this dealer for a look. Small backstreet non-franchise garage who stocks mostly nearly new but suspiciously cheap cars, all the reviews are recent over the space of a month or two too. Where did he get all this stock? Why was it offloaded? There are loads of good deals on nearly new Leaf’s though, but I’d probably stick with a better known seller. If something is too cheap then there’s almost always a reason.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - badbusdriver

Surely that Leaf would qualify as, "if something looks too good to be true, it usually is"!

Amused by this in the description though:

"I cannot believe the price position for a high spec, superb fully electric and very modern looking vehicle."

Isn't the person who wrote this also the person who set the price? :-)

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Steveieb

There is even a Mazda MX 30 Electric almost new for under £20 k. But what did Shakespeare say “ All that ……. ….. .. ….. “

Slightly older, higher mileage, but £1,500 cheaper. And it's main dealer.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311214150667

MX30 - but range is only 124miles??? Not surprised it's £17k.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311304447914

Edited by Chris M on 22/12/2023 at 17:21

‘CX30 - but range is only 124miles??? Not surprised it's £17k.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311304447914

651 delivery miles? Where’s it come from?

"Where’s it come from?"

Don't know, but it needed charging 5 times.

That Leaf is an excellent deal. The Mazda is a nice wee car but the real life range is more like 100 miles in good weather, and the poor rear space limit its appeal. I suppose it would be a good city car for singles or couples. A new Leaf for less than £16k makes a load of sense though. Ours costs buttons to run, but at the time a nearly new one was closer to £20k. Just don’t pay anywhere near list price for a new EV. The economics depend on buying used and buying well. Prices are all over the place.

New only adds up if you’re getting a substantial tax payer funded subsidy of some sort, which isn’t viable longterm. There will be a glut of used EV’s on the market as government supported ev leasing schemes take hold at work places. I can lease a new Leaf for £200pcm out of my untaxed wage via my workplace scheme, which makes a good case for itself. The more EV’s registered via subsidy then cheaper they’ll get used and the more economic sense they’ll make. If they keep plummeting I may be able to afford one with 250 mile range to replace old Terrance the Toyota.
Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Ethan Edwards

Yes the MX30 is a poor EV in terms of range. I think it was produced for legal purposes to improve the overall Mazda fleet fuel consumption. Surely can't be profitable for Mazda. It has less battery storage than my wife's Fiat 500e.

That said as of end Nov there are 53,300 odd public chargers in the UK and increasing at around 1500 a month. In common with most EV owners I only need home charging unless I make an ad hoc longer trip. 200m range has been totally fine for three years for me.

Personally I couldn't use an EV with only 100 miles range. But if you can, then more power to your elbow.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 23/12/2023 at 10:20

. There will be a glut of used EV’s on the market as government supported ev leasing schemes take hold at work places. I can lease a new Leaf for £200pcm out of my untaxed wage via my workplace scheme, which makes a good case for itself. The more EV’s registered via subsidy then cheaper they’ll get used and the more economic sense they’ll make. If they keep plummeting I may be able to afford one with 250 mile range to replace old Terrance the Toyota.

I agree, most of the EVs new you see about are on such schemes. I know a couple of people driving about in BMW iX things which in theory are expensive cars but they are paying £250 on one scheme or another. The tax deals can't last forever.

There are also more and more independent lease deals beginning to appear to non company drivers.

Some of them will offer great value on the used market in 3 years time.

As part of the budget EV experiment I have been monitoring Facebook pages and forums relating to the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe and Hyundai Iconiq, the three most economically viable used electric cars on the market. More modern designs are hampered by crippling depreciation due to insane new prices and have yet to level off enough to make sensible purchases in my opinion.

What is worrying however is the large number of reliability woes owners of the Nissan and Hyundai seem to be suffering from. Honestly, a few days reading through posts on these sites would put you off buying either of them. Touch wood, we’ve not suffered any issues to date aside from a parking brake that’s binding slightly for a few seconds, but many owners of both of these cars have suffered crippling repair costs thanks to most repairs being main dealer only as the independent garage network has yet to fully involve themselves. The Zoe seems better, we run a 2017 example as a pool car at work and despite the occasional amber warning light it seems pretty dependable, which seems representative according to what I’m reading online.

In theory EV’s should have much less to go wrong but evidence suggests there is much to be concerned about as they age and not just battery degradation. As with all modern cars there are too many gadgets, its quantity of buttons over basic quality. Even the electric buses my firm bought have turned into liabilities, with the two (Chinese built) Sigma’s off the road more than they’re on it and plans are being made to offload them and can our conversion to electric vehicles for the foreseeable. Though one Alexander Denis E100 has been bought to appraise in service.

EV update. First “service” done by local dealer, no issues found and no attempts to extort more money. Car was returned valeted inside and out. No complaints. Good weather has seen an improvement in range back up to circa 140 miles. Otherwise performing like the appliance it is.

Still reading horror stories on related Facebook groups regarding battery failures and front camera faults etc, but to date ours has been no hassle beyond the parking brake binding slightly when you reverse out of spaces - apparently they all do this in the wet. Sounds terrible grinding away when reversing out of spaces, but immediately goes away when you move forward. Checked at service and also Mot and no fault found. Very common topic on groups.

I see the app is being turned off for pre-2016 models as a result of the 2G networks being phased out. I take it SLO's Leaf is a younger model and won't be affected.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68426263

Seems the functionality offered by the app is very useful come charging time. It's not just EVs though that have apps. Newer ICE have them where you can select various options and see data. As these cars age I guess it's to be expected that manufacturers won't keep old software up to date. Microsoft don't support ageing operating systems.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Engineer Andy

With most Phone/tablet OSes, you're lucky if you get 8 years of use at all out of them before most of the (non-built-in) apps no longer function, some because their app software updates don't work on older OSes (I suspect that's deliberate) and often just because the updates - even when 'compatible' - are so bloated that the OS / hardware cannot cope, making the app go slower than a BBC Basic computer.

Even though Microsoft don't update their phone/tablet OSes any more, at least some of their add-on apps are still functional, albeit with no updates for ages.

The problem comes if current information is needed for the app to work 100%, rather like my old Nokia 620's (win 8.1) HERE Maps, which amazingly still updates the map information, but has no 'live traffic' data to use when working.

A useful tool for general route-mapping (like a cycle map/computer, to replace a paper map and to be able to find where you are [GPS still works]), no good if the route it says you should go likely has heavy traffic or an accident scene to avoid.

The app (and phone) itself works almost as quick as when it was new/apps were updated, its just that no new apps can be added or the phone ever reinstalled, because all the non-built-in apps would never be able to brought back.

Even though Win-OS PCs (laptops included) are no longer updated from Win 8 downwards, my desktop PC mostly works fine and only a few programs won't work, mainly because the manufacturers of the most popular ones know there's still many users around and money to be made, so they make their software compatible back to Win7, for example.

As the expert in the article says, it's a disgrace that the makers built-in no backwards compatibility or alternate system of comms and software so the apps wouldn't become obsolete in such a short time. Note also that this is within the 10 year window that car manufacturers are supposed to offer a full range of spare parts for their cars after they go out of production. To me, that sounds like getting out of your responsibilities

I somehow doubt if this will be the last instance this sort of thing happens as cars become more digital, even ICE ones (as you say). I mean, why bother with pesky physical equipment obsolescence when apps can do it for a 10th of the cost and be re-applied across each new generation of car for even less, using the old software as a template?

>Snip

It seems that in the US, Nissan were able to upgrade the comms unit from 2G:

Nissan Leaf connectivity update will replace vanishing 2G network (greencarreports.com)

That article is from 2016 with 2G being switched off at the end of that year. The cars were less than 5 years old at that point. Mk1s in the UK will now be 7 - 13 years old.

Maybe Nissan UK feel it okay to cut and run, or maybe the subsidised fix didn't work as expected in the US?

The Mk2 is now considered old tech. Doesn't inspire confidence does it.

Edited by Chris M on 04/03/2024 at 16:45

I see the app is being turned off for pre-2016 models as a result of the 2G networks being phased out. I take it SLO's Leaf is a younger model and won't be affected.

Yup, unaffected as ours is a 2020 Mk II.

Yup, unaffected as ours is a 2020 Mk II.

Let's hope yours doesn't (say) have a 3G connection-only capability, because it probably won't be that long until TPTB get rid of 3G connection.

As I said, most software associated with phones is often on a much shorter useful lifecycle than PCs, so let's also hope that Nissan learned their lesson and bothered to make the app upgradeable in line with that 10 year parts availability rule.

Don't bank on it though - I mean it's not as though most car firms provide more than 3 years of software fixes and 'upgrades' to satnav systems, and even afterwards charge exorbitant yearly amounts for what often are just map updates and not much to improve the operability of the software itself.

More often than not, you'd be quids in buy getting a brand new smartphone every 3 years and paying yourself for a decent satnav app.

Nissan Leaf - Leafing my wallet alone! - Ian_SW

3G is well on its way out already with both EE and Vodafone's 3G switch off underway at the moment.

The 2G mobile network will remain for some years yet - there are many industrial applications which rely on it, along with a lot of the "Smart" meters the utility companies have been so keen for us to have....

3G is well on its way out already with both EE and Vodafone's 3G switch off underway at the moment.

The 2G mobile network will remain for some years yet - there are many industrial applications which rely on it, along with a lot of the "Smart" meters the utility companies have been so keen for us to have....

The problem is that 2G is very slow for apps for smartphones, and every update on an app just bloats it more, making it even slower, often to the point they are unusable. My old tablet went that way. My Win 8.1 phone hasn't only because it got few software updates for the apps.

The problem is that 2G is very slow for apps for smartphones, and every update on an app just bloats it more, making it even slower, often to the point they are unusable. My old tablet went that way. My Win 8.1 phone hasn't only because it got few software updates for the apps.

Doing well to still be working - use to like the Windows phone os. Shame Microsoft gave up on it.

I don’t really use the app anyway. SWMBO occasional checks how much charge is in it via the app but that’s about it. It heats up almost instantly anyway so we don’t bother pre-heating.
Milk-float update. I’m now using the Leaf daily after SWMBO commandeered my C class. This isn’t a bad thing though, my commute is now costing a fraction of what it was and the car itself is smooth, comfortable and quick. As a second car I maintain that a good Mk II 40kw Leaf at under £12/£13k is possibly the best option out there. There's less to go wrong, it costs buttons to charge overnight and it drives very well. Supply is outstripping demand on these so they are great value.