Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - Leon Flack

Hi; just had front sensors fitted by Kia before taking delivery of car (only factory fitted to GT-Line S model) & just need to confirm / query how they are supposed to work. I have front sensors which beep loudly whenever the engine is started, touch to switch beeping / sensing off, then need touch again whenever front sensor is required. When switched back on they seems to beep all the time regardless if anything is near it or not, the beep frequency increases as car gets closer to an object - am going to take the car to an open space & retest. Has anyone else had these sensors fitted and does this operation seem normal. Many thanks Leon.

Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - elekie&a/c doctor
If they are not factory fitted , then they are unlikely to work or integrate into the existing system and their operation will be different.
Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - Leon Flack

OK thank you for your quick response; I understand the factory concept but I wasn't expecting them to be constantly beeping whenever they are switched on. Also, the beeps seem to spasmodically change frequency even when standing still and nowhere near any objects. I retested them in an open space this pm and they are constantly beeping in no set pattern whenever they are on, even when I was reversing which seems bizzare to me as both front & back sensors were beeping at the same time. The front sensors did beep in increasing frequency when the front bumper was getting closer to an obstruction, which is what I would expect. Do you think I have any comeback against the dealer as none of this was clearly explained to me during the sale process ?

Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - Dave N
Probably just cheap aftermarket junk. Take it back.
Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - Adampr

Whatever the problem is, just take it back to the dealer and tell them. They will sort it and I very much doubt there will be any fuss.

Thanks Adampr; I queried it on pickup when they went through the handover details, they commented that their mechanics said it was the correct operation. Not sure of best way to proceed.

Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - Adampr

Thanks Adampr; I queried it on pickup when they went through the handover details, they commented that their mechanics said it was the correct operation. Not sure of best way to proceed.

Whatever Pointy Shoes told you was to make you go away. Just call the service department and they will either explain it or invite you in to get it fixed

Adampr; I think you are spot on, I have just spoken to their technical team, they have a different attitude and think it's probably faulty. I have just found a Sensor User Guide which was tucked away with the rest of the documents, no-one told me it was there. The system should beep at switch on remaining active for 40secs then go into standby mode assuming no obstacles are close by - I'm expecting this to be silent mode until it's triggered. Car is now booked in for next week. Thanks for all your help & thoughts.

Thanks Dave; the sensors are supposed to be genuine Kia, there doesn't seem to be any other options to consider - in a bit of a quandry at the moment.

Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - elekie&a/c doctor
A factory system doesn’t need a switch to turn the front sensors on and off . Kia don’t make parking sensors. I suspect the kit that have used is an aftermarket product approved for fitting by Kia .

Yep; you are correct, it's certainly not a Kia product !! I've just found a Front Parking Sensor Owners Guide with a vodaphone name & logo on it, this was tucked away with the rest of the documents, no-one told me it was there. Apparently the system should beep at switch on & remain active for 40secs then go into standby mode assuming no obstacles are close by - I'm expecting this to be silent mode until it's triggered. Car is now booked in for next week - thank you for your comments & thoughts.

If it shows Vodafone on the instructions, they’re probably made by Cobra .

I've never had to look at sensors before; if Kia can't satisfactorilly fix them, can you recommend a decent brand that I should look at, to replace them with.

It’s not the sensors that are the problem, it’s the mode of operation that’s the issue . Front sensor systems are fairly complex in the way they work , so aftermarket systems are not going to work the same way . Personally, I think non standard front sensors are a waste of time.

OK I didn't think this was going to be so complex; I will see what happens, maybe they will have to be taken off if still unsatisfactory. Many thanks, Leon.

Kia Proceed 1.5T GDi GT-Line 2023 - Kia Proceed - Front Parking Sensors - skidpan

Personally, I think non standard front sensors are a waste of time.

We have factory fit standard sensors on one of our car and I would never specify them as an extra.

maybe they will have to be taken off if still unsatisfactory

That will look good on a new car, 4 holes in your bumper.

Hi skidpan; this might be a costly mistake if they can't be fixed properly, been thinking about the fitting and expect the original bumper inserts are well gone by now. I certainly don't want holes in the bumper so in the worst case scenario, they might have to stay and I just switch them off when not required - not great but better than holes !!

Edited by Leon Flack on 06/05/2023 at 17:07

Well; they fixed the constant beeping, apparently the sensors weren't wired up correctly. I now have to get used to how they work; in some quick tests it looks like I need to switch them back on as they don't seem to wake up automatically after going into sleep mode, this is more or less what I was expecting from the start.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP.