Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - RaduP
Hello everyone, I m looking to buy a used car and it’s first time, so I do not have experience in checking. The car is an Audi A4 2.0 petrol 2007 and I made an offer off £1800

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304025882142

Someone check for me the car and said to not buying

www.carcheck.co.uk/audi/YF57ZNN

Can you please give me a second opinion?
I know it’s an old car and I will have to put some money extra, but will be too expensive to keep it working?
Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - Andrew-T

You will only get a worthwhile second opinion on an elderly car from someone who can examine it. Not easy online ! Do you have any knowledgeable friends ?

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - Railroad.

It's a 16 year old car and so nothing can be guaranteed. But I think you'd be better off with a petrol than a diesel. Older cars with diesel engines can be very expensive and difficult to repair. Petrols are more reliable and less problematic. You just need to give the car a good look over, and drive it to make sure you're happy with it. Take someone with you for a second opinion. Be prepared to walk away if you're not happy with anything. If you haven't paid a deposit then you're not obliged to buy it and you won't lose anything.

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - elekie&a/c doctor
This is a petrol engine . So it’s probably got oil burning consumption issues .
Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - badbusdriver

With such a small budget, it isn't wise to be looking at so called prestige makes like Audi (+BMW, Merc, etc). You will be paying more for that badge rather than paying more for a better car. As for that particular car, I'm no mechanic but the MOT history doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence that I would be buying a premium product. Out of the 13 MOT's since its first, it has failed 8 of them (consecutively in the case of the last 5)!.

Also, do you need a car of that size?. If you could manage with something the size of a Focus, you'd have an awful lot more choice.

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - Big John

The advisory re front suspension is quite serious - on this platform it's a difficult / expensive job - The front suspension is a complex affair. Also beware/ check for rust - some are good, some are terrible - seems to be luck of the draw. As mentioned further up the thread the 2.0 petrol can be an oil burner (look for evidence around the exhaust exit pipe, wipe surrounding bodywork/bumper with kitchen roll and any evidence of oil - walk!). Difficult at this time of year but try and check the air con is working. I also always advise people to carry out a HPI check.

The A4 is a lovely car but I suspect there will be a few big bills ahead and the road tax is fairly expensive as well (over £300 a year). On a plus side it looks as if it has had recent front/ rear brakes.

Edited by Big John on 10/04/2023 at 23:52

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - Steveieb

Most of the problems with my A4 have been electrical such as flooded comfort unit in the passenger footwell, alarm problems etc . But both sides of the front suspension have had to be refurbished which is not an easy job.

I would recommend checking the air condioning is working as repairing it can cost almost as much as you are paying for the car !

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - badbusdriver

Most of the problems with my A4 have been electrical such as flooded comfort unit in the passenger footwell, alarm problems etc . But both sides of the front suspension have had to be refurbished which is not an easy job.

I would recommend checking the air condioning is working as repairing it can cost almost as much as you are paying for the car !

What is a comfort unit?

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - Andrew-T

<< What is a comfort unit? >>

Normally I would hesitate to ask that question .... :-)

Audi A4 Avant - I’m buying my first car, I need an advice - elekie&a/c doctor
Makes you comfortable. It’s actually the convenience module that controls locking, indicators , hazards and various other functions. On the early A4 /Passat models it was situated under the carpet in the passenger front foot well . As the car filled up with water from blocked plenum drains, the unit would get soaked and the circuit board would get ruined . Fortunately on later models , it was relocated behind the dash .