Fiat Panda 2006 Fault Code - Crickleymal

Hi all

My son has got a Panda 1.1 and driving back from an outing today we got the engine management light up. We read the codes and it said P0130 01/01. The manual for the reader says that's O2 sensor bank1. I take that to mean the first O2 sensor on the exhaust pipe? The connector seems to be covered in oily carp so I think a general clean up before doing anything more.

Fiat Panda 2006 Fault Code - elekie&a/c doctor
There are 2 lambda sensors on these. Bank 1,sensor 1,is the top one , nearest the engine. Check for oil ingress inside the connector and give it a clean . Re try and re set system
There are 2 lambda sensors on these. Bank 1,sensor 1,is the top one , nearest the engine. Check for oil ingress inside the connector and give it a clean . Re try and re set system

Thanks . We're going to look tomorrow when the engine is really cold.

I looked in GSF car parts. There were 3 lambda sensors listed, one NGK for £4.95 which I think is the second sensor, and one NGK and one Bosch both at £80.46. I assume these are the first sensors so a damn good clean up first seems a good idea.

Edited by Crickleymal on 08/04/2023 at 19:19

Fiat Panda 2006 Fault Code - elekie&a/c doctor
The price of £4.95 must be a mistake. No lambda sensor costs that little.

There seems to be a slight oil leak from the rocker box cover. This seems to be running down onto the connectors for both lambda sensors. We've cleaned it up as best we can together with the connectors and cleared the fault. We will wait and see what happens.

Fiat Panda 2006 Fault Code - Gibbo_Wirral

There seems to be a slight oil leak from the rocker box cover. This seems to be running down onto the connectors for both lambda sensors. We've cleaned it up as best we can together with the connectors and cleared the fault. We will wait and see what happens.

Seen that on a few Peugeots. One garage just kept replacing the O2 sensors at the customer's expense!

Booked into the garage now. The connector is in such an awkward place and my arthritic fingers are no go for fiddly places.

Fiat Panda 2006 Fault Code - Railroad.

Reading the fault codes is a start, but a start is all it is. This does not necessarily mean the O2 sensor is at fault, even though of course it could be. Incidentally the O2 sensor Bank 1 (B1S1) is the sensor before the catalyst on bank 1. Bank 2 would be the second bank on a V engine, but since your engine isn't a V engine there is only one bank. B1S2 is the O2 sensor after the catalyst.

As I said, the O2 sensor may be at fault, but then again it may not be. Fault codes do not tell you what's wrong. They tell you where the fault is being reported from. In this case the O2 sensor which could be at fault, or it's values could be out of range because something else is at fault. The engine could be running too rich or too lean because if a fault or even multiple faults. These would have an effect on the O2 sensors output signals, which could be telling the truth. You need to determine which it is. Just replacing the sensor is only a guess, and you could be replacing a perfectly good one.

Google fuel trim and how to check it. Also use a vacuum gauge to determine if you have any mechanical engine faults. If you do then you'll need to correct these first otherwise your fault code will keep coming back.

Once you clear the fault code you will also clear the fuel trim and readiness monitors, resetting them to 'Not Ready' or 'Incomplete'. They will not become ready again until the car has completed a drive cycle which could be up to four days. This is why the engine management lamp takes this long to come back on. If this is the case then it's good evidence that your problem is mechanical rather than electrical.