Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - Dover Cliff

I'm new here - hello.

A week ago the dash signaled overheating - I pulled over, stopped and turned off. The coolant level seemed OK - certainly there was some in the reservoir. After short while I carried on my way with no issue. I had been noting for a week or two previously that the engine cooling fan had been running more than normal when the engine was turned off.

Happily (?) the car is still under warranty and a main dealer service was already booked before this incident. The dealer said the plastic reservoir had a split in the seam and there was evidence of leaking and the coolant level was low. They say this is the cause and have ordered and will supply and fit a new one under warranty. So far so good. But does the loss of maybe one litre of 6 litres capacity cause overheating like this or is that it just split the reservoir under pressure when it overheated for another overheating reason ?

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - sammy1

The loss of 1m litre of coolant would in normal running not cause overheating. What is more likely is the split in the coolant bottle caused a loss of pressure to the heating system. The cap on the plastic reservoir is designed to release any excess pressure to the system. Having said that I would keep a serious eye on your engine as any overheating is never a good thing and it may well be worth mentioning this to the dealer

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - skidpan

Cooling systems are pressurised which means they can run hotter without boiling. If there is a split in the header pressure will be lost and whilst the engine will probably be no hotter it will boil and probably alert the driver to a fault especially when the level falls below the sensor.

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - Rerepo

Cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point of coolant and thereby prevent vapour forming at the hotspots around the cylinder head. Loss of pressure won't of itself cause overheating - although subsequent ejection of coolant might lead to overheating.

I think the critical thing in your account of the overheating is that you were able to continue without further incident. This makes me think the problem might be a sticking thermostat or problem with the cooling fan or its controls.

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - Dover Cliff

Thanks all so far. The dealer thinks that the new reservoir might be fitted next week and I'll find out if it has fixed the issue with some driving around afterwards.

In the meantime, the fan has been working overtime these past couple of weeks, so I know it works. There's still the question about the thermostat though.

At present I can't use the car as the short drive home from the dealer drained the reservoir completely. I'll refill it for the drive back next week.

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m not convinced that the leaking reservoir is the fix . I’m more inclined to think the coolant expansion bottle is leaking is a result of another problem. My 20 year old focus still has its original tank .
Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - skidpan

If the expansion bottle is split and leaking as I said above it will cause issues but you don't need to be a mechanic to spot one of the issues, there will be a very noticeable stain from the leaking coolant.

Is there such evidence?

" . . .there will be a very noticeable stain from the leaking coolant.

Is there such evidence? . . "

Yes, plenty of it: blue dribbles down the under-bonnet paintwork and dried up stains.

The new plastic coolant expansion tank was fitted today. So far so good - on the 30 minute run back from the dealer in the slow rush hour crawl the temperature gauge stubbornly stayed in its normal position.

You can't knock the Hyundai 5 year warranty too much - the car is 4 years and 9 months old and they reckoned the faulty part was covered at no cost to me.

Well, several days and around 200 miles later all remains OK.

Hyundai i30 2018 1.4 Petrol Turbo - Engine Overheating - is garage correct ? - paul 1963

Result!! Glad to read your problem seems to be solved, so many post about a problem and are never seen ( heard from?) again, many happy miles of motoring to you.