SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - Dominic Dolan

Hi,

2014 Seat Leon 2.0 Diesel

I've run into some car trouble recently and have been told I could be potentially looking at a brand new fuel system due to particles and debris getting into the system and destroying everything. Very expensive unfortunately. At the moment we only know for sure that the pump is completely broken but a new pump hasn't fixed the issue (intermittent power, engine cutting out, trouble starting).

Now my question is this - I had the car serviced just under a year ago and had some pretty significant fuel leakage. Took car to the garage and they discovered the fuel filter had not been re-housed correctly after being checked on the service, therefore fuel was leaking out of the hole where the mechanic had forgotten to bolt it in or whatever. I ran the car for 2 months with this fuel leak - could debris have entered the fuel system via this hole and destroyed everything in sight (initially the pump went but after replacing it the car still cuts out/has no power and the garage - could rubbish getting into the fuel filter via incorrect housing have had a knock on effect on the pump?)

Thanks for any advice

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - elekie&a/c doctor
Leaking fuel from the filter housing is very unlikely to have caused the problem. If the fuel pump has broken up sending metal particles round the system, then this may have been caused by poor quality/ contamination of fuel . Also if the car has been mis fueled with Petrol this may be a contributing factor.
SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - Dominic Dolan

Hi,

I'm no good with cars so sorry if these questions are stupid.

So from what I can see the cap on the fuel filter housing is secured with bolts. One of these bolts was missing when my car came back from the service, this then seemed to act as a means of escape for the fuel from the filter itself. So just as fuel could get out of the filter, could contaminants get into the fuel filter through the same hole and cause damage to the fuel filter/pump?

Thanks

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see that happening. With one screw missing, the hole is minuscule.
SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - edlithgow

Hi,

I'm no good with cars so sorry if these questions are stupid.

So from what I can see the cap on the fuel filter housing is secured with bolts. One of these bolts was missing when my car came back from the service, this then seemed to act as a means of escape for the fuel from the filter itself. So just as fuel could get out of the filter, could contaminants get into the fuel filter through the same hole and cause damage to the fuel filter/pump?

Thanks

Sounds reasonable to me. However small the hole was, it could presumably let in quite a lot of air, and I'd guess a diesel fuel pump might be at least as unhappy pumping actual air as it might be pumping hypothetical petrol .

I suppose the probability of this happening will depend on whether the fuel filter leak ever sees negative internal pressure. If theres, say, a lift pump that kept the leak always under positive internal pressure, less likely.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/04/2024 at 01:22

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - Adampr

I certainly don't think you could prove that's what happened.

If you're being told it needs a whole new system, and you're anywhere close, I'd suggest getting in touch with Diesel Bob. He can pretty much diagnose and repair any problem with your injectors (which is presumably next on the list) and recondition them for much less than you'd pay for new. Failing that, you can take it into Ribble Valley Diesels and they will fix it (with Bob's help if needed).

Be aware that Bob is a bit of a 'character'...

Dieselbob.co.uk

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - paul 1963

Just seen a similar problem on a elderly Honda crv, pump had worn sending aluminium particles throughout the whole system....car was sc***ed....

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - Kiritpal Jandu
Hi mate I also have a 2.0 diesel Leon and currently expecting the same issues you had last year, my car has been in the garage for over a month and numerous mechanics can’t seem to find the problem, what was the resolution to your issue as im currently 1 month without a car. Would appreciate a response, cheers
SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - SLO76
One issue with buying a modern used diesel is that if a previous owner has mistakenly put petrol into it and ran it then you may run into problems like this. Colleague bought a used Dacia Duster 1.5 dci and the engine packed in after a matter of weeks. The garage diagnosed that the fuel pump had broken up sending metal contaminants to wreck the engine. Likely caused by previous misfuelling. Luckily the warranty firm shelled out for a used replacement engine which to date has been fine. You’ve no way of knowing if a prospective used diesel purchase has had a tank of petrol through its innards and it can be catastrophic for both the engine and your bank balance.
One issue with buying a modern used diesel is that if a previous owner has mistakenly put petrol into it and ran it then you may run into problems like this. Colleague bought a used Dacia Duster 1.5 dci and the engine packed in after a matter of weeks. The garage diagnosed that the fuel pump had broken up sending metal contaminants to wreck the engine. Likely caused by previous misfuelling. Luckily the warranty firm shelled out for a used replacement engine which to date has been fine. You’ve no way of knowing if a prospective used diesel purchase has had a tank of petrol through its innards and it can be catastrophic for both the engine and your bank balance.

Sounds like a good case for another fuel filter downstream of the fuel pump, or am I missing something?

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - nigelr

Hi, Don`t know if this might help . My Daughter as a Leon 2.0tdi this suddenly had the issues you described . Loss of power ,cutting out and difficult starting . She had the fuel delivery sender unit pump replaced situated in the tank , but still had the issues but it turned out to be the Fuel control module situated next to the sender unit . All good after replacement.

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - focussed

"Sounds like a good case for another fuel filter downstream of the fuel pump, or am I missing something?"

The pressure? - 1000 to 2200 bar?

"Sounds like a good case for another fuel filter downstream of the fuel pump, or am I missing something?"

The pressure? - 1000 to 2200 bar?

As a pressure differential across a filter that'd be a bit of a design challenge, but I'd guess the pressure differential is at the injectors, where it goes to whatever it is in the cylinders.I dunno what the pressure differential across the hypothetical filter would be, or how expensive it would be to make one, but designing a filter housing to simply resist that pressure would not be such a problem.

Or I'm missing something.

Of course this assumes the manufacturer might care about auto-destructing fuel systems, and the punter would pay for non auto-destructing fuel systems, both admittedly questionable assumptions.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/04/2024 at 01:54

SEAT Leon - SEAT LEON 2014 FUEL SYSTEM - nigelr
Hi mate I also have a 2.0 diesel Leon and currently expecting the same issues you had last year, my car has been in the garage for over a month and numerous mechanics can’t seem to find the problem, what was the resolution to your issue as im currently 1 month without a car. Would appreciate a response, cheers

Hi Have posted a reply lower down . Possible failure of fuel delivery control unit situated under the back seat near the fuel sender unit. This controls delivery of fuel to the engine.

This might help with your Problems.

Edited by nigelr on 29/04/2024 at 11:27