Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - craig-pd130

While our old Corsa is being repaired, we've just had a week with a newish Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid: the full-house 155bhp ST Line version.

Pros: it really does go, all that power & torque in a 1200kg car means it's amusingly rapid. Hybrid system is very mild, you notice the regenerative braking much more than any assistance from the starter / generator (apart from the below). Tidy handling, the steering is really direct with very little understeer. It also corners nice and flat. All the toys you could wish for: climate, big touchscreen for media, etc. Roomy for its class.

Cons: ride is poor and crashy over typical A- and B-roads (on the ST Line's suspension and low-profile tyres anyway). Throttle response is uneven at low speeds in first and second gear through town, it sometimes feels like the electric assistance isn't quite coordinated with the engine. The engine would be better mated to an autobox because of this. Some interior trim parts look cheap and feel flimsy.

It's been fun to tool around in but I don't think I'd own one. Also, I know car prices have risen a lot in recent years, but £21,500 RRP for a new Fiesta?

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - badbusdriver

The vast majority of potential 'buyers' will never own the car and as such, the RRP is utterly irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the monthly payment.

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - daveyK_UK
The Fiesta is now a rip off if your buying with cash.

However, on a PCP is as competitive as it’s rivals provided your willing to wait for a build slot as there is no new Fiestas in stock in the UK.

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - Xileno

As well as price, it seems to have grown in size. It might even steal a few sales from the Focus.

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - Steveieb
Has your Audi A4 130 finally expired Craig ?
Has your Audi A4 130 finally expired Craig ?

Heh, close, it was a B5.5 Passat as it happens :-)

It was the company car I had when I first signed up here, we sold it back it 2008. Had a few others since then, but now I'm semi-retired we don't need 2 cars so my wife's Corsa is the family workhorse.

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - John F

The vast majority of potential 'buyers' will never own the car and as such, the RRP is utterly irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the monthly payment.

And there's the rub. For such a pricey hybrid the monthly PCP payment will be around £250, which translates to an annual depreciation, or cost of keepership, of around £3000 which, unlike the purchase and ownership of a new car, will never diminish as the years roll by.

For comparison, our brand new slightly larger but lighter 130bhp Peugeot 2008 EAT6 cost £17,000 nearly two years ago. At £250 pcm it would effectively pay for itself in another four years with no further depreciation/cost of ownership.

At the customary PCP allowance of only 6000 miles per annum (which is around what ours does) it will have only done 35,000 miles. But, a higher mileage PCP driver will have to pay around an extra £80 for every 1000 miles above this allowance each year.

Ford Fiesta - A week with a new Fiesta Ecoboost mild hybrid - SLO76
I regularly drive a 2010 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec that we use as a pool car at work for running drivers around. It reminds me of how right Ford got this generation of Fiesta and how tough the Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4/1.6 16v petrols are. This wee car has been utterly abused and neglected, it’s done 105,000 miles yet it drives great beyond a few knocks and rattles. The engine pulls surprisingly well, it’s a hoot on a twisting road and I feel the ride is perfectly decent.
I regularly drive a 2010 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec that we use as a pool car at work for running drivers around. It reminds me of how right Ford got this generation of Fiesta and how tough the Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4/1.6 16v petrols are.

Yes, I had a 1.25 Zetec as a hire car a while back and enjoyed it. Obviously the engine lacked the grunt of today's turbo models but it loved to rev, and the ride on that older Zetec model (standard suspension, smallish wheels, high profile tyres) was much better than the ST Line.