Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - LeeLee83
Hello, MK1 1994 Renault Master failed its MOT on the following and I am wondering if it’s an expensive fix;

Repair immediately (major defects):
Offside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c))
Nearside Front All direction indicators not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Offside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Offside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover insecure so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
Offside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover insecure so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
Horn not working (7.7 (a) (ii))
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
n/s/f ans o/s/f inner wings correded
n/s/f and o/s/f drop link bushes perished
heavy under seal on repaired areas
Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like scrap to me . All that body and chassis corrosion surely can’t be worth fixing .
Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - Andrew-T

Yes, if it weren't for the body-rot the other items look like simple fixes. You could ask for a second opinion on the structural weakening, but if that confirms this test the car will be deemed permanently unroadworthy. It could probably be sorted with some welding, but all those things come at a price.

Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - Grenache

With all these items the car would probably not be safe to drive so getting a second opinion might be difficult unless the mechanic can come to where the car is.

The brakes issues might be sticking calipers - I had to replace mine for that reason and so you'd be looking at aound £600 for all four brakes.

The electrical items may just be a fuse or two, if you're lucky and can find it for yourself. However it might also be poor electrical connection if there's corrosion to the earth points.

Given the corrosion, that would be expensive to repair, so even if hte other items were fixed up you'd probably only get another year out of the car.

Unless you have an emotional attachment to it it's time to phone round and get a good price as scrap unfortunately.

Thank you all.
To be honest, it’s not actually my van.
I sold it this time last year for £5,000.
I have just been checking the MOT because I always like to check my old vehicles.
I sold it with a full MOT and no advisories.
It’s done 120 miles in between MOTs. Didn’t realise standing for so long would cause so much damage.
c.20 of those were mine (return from garage, test drive and delivery).
Feel sorry for the buyer if he has to scrap it.
Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - Xileno

£5000 for a twenty-seven year old Master? What was in the back, a bag of gold coins?

It was a motor home/camper.
Had all electrics, cooker etc.
With a full MOT with no advisories, must have been appearing.
Last year, the price of these shot up, possibly because we all couldn’t go abroad.
Renault Master - Renault Master MOT - Xileno

Ah that would explain it, still strong money for an old van, I think you did well. You are right, prices have gone up sharply, someone my brother knows does conversions as a sideline business to his garage repair/service workshop, even getting decent base vans to start with is getting harder as anything good is getting snapped up by couriers etc. Transporters as ever are very pricey but I think the bubble will burst when all those first-time staycationers actually find running a van is quite expensive and return to jetting off somewhere for their holidays.