Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - Simonrp

Hi all - I am tearing whats left of my hair out with my Outlander. It's the 2.0 Diesel (the VW PD unit) - 2007 Elegance DiD. I am having Crankshaft Sensor problems.

When the car is completely cold it will start first turn of the key and perform normally for about 10 minutes. As soon as it gets hot the engine goes into limp mode and the Engine Management light comes on. OBDC shows as "Crankshaft Position Sensor A". When the car cools down (few hours) it will start fine again.

If you try to re-start it when hot then it WILL start but you have to crank it about 20 times (and it will be in limp mode).

My mechanic has replaced the Crankshaft Sensor today and it's still exactly the same.

Before we have to go down the gearbox out route to replace the pickup does anyone have any ideas please ? My mechanic thinks it will either be the pickup for the crankshaft or (possibly) the cam belt ?

Thanks in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - bathtub tom

I had a similar problem. Realising the crankshaft and camshaft sensors were the same part, I swapped them over. The fault changed to camshaft sensor!

May not help you, but it did me.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, it’s important to use a genuine sensor . Aftermarket generic parts very often don’t perform correctly . Also make sure the connector to the sensor is in good condition. Access to the sensor is tricky ,as it’s often necessary to remove the oil filter /cooler and housing . Last resort is remove gearbox to replace the pick up on the crankshaft seal . It’s important to use the correct alignment tool when doing this job .
Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - Simonrp

Thanks for the advice so far guys - We have (well, my mechanic has) replaced the sensor with a genuine part and that's made no difference.

We are thinking it could be a box out job to get to the pickup but didn't want to go to that expense if it doesn't cure the issue.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - elekie&a/c doctor
The best way to check the sensor, is to verify the output signal . A good scanner or oscilloscope will do the job .
Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - Calvin Lakhani

Hi

Did you manage to fix this issue? I am having the same issue with my 2007 Outlander and having the exactly the same issue!

Calvin

Mitsubishi Outlander - Crankshaft Sensor Error 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander - Xileno

They've not logged in since so I doubt we will find out. But they might be looking in...