What does power cost? - badbusdriver

Idly browsing Autotrader I found myself wondering what was the least amount of money I'd need to pay for 300bhp. Which of course led to wondering how much more power would cost, then more again.

So, 300bhp(*)?: 202106133793542

350bhp?: 202106234125578

400bhp?: 202011035737572

450bhp?: 202106013315457

500bhp?: 202106033407602

The next step up to 550bhp requires a bit more serious (though still a relative bargain in terms of purchase price) budget of £14k for a Bentley Flying Spur. So it would seem that for maximum bang per buck, Jag is a good shout!.

(*)This excludes a £1999 Audi A8 4.2 with suspected head gasket failure and a CAT S Merc CLS500 for £2750.

What does power cost? - John F

This might be a bargain for around 450bhp.....

2006 Blue Audi A8 6.0 quattro 4dr for sale for £7950 (autotrader.co.uk)

....if it is one of the rare SWB sport quattros. There are only about 50 in this country. Hasn't included the o/s boot lid on the photos- the SWB says W12 but the more common limo LWB says 6.0L

What does power cost? - Marlin1

Excellent post BBD!

I am sure some of those would be more reliable than others and it would be interesting to know how much horsepower the cars have lost over the years through wear and tear.

(Now looking for a convertible with bullet proof reliability and 250+ bhp for £8k with under 50,000 miles :-D )

What does power cost? - brum

I am sure some of those would be more reliable than others and it would be interesting to know how much horsepower the cars have lost over the years through wear and tear.

Porsche 911 power loss over time tested here

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ugdktNpvskQ

Excellent post BBD!

(Now looking for a convertible with bullet proof reliability and 250+ bhp for £8k with under 50,000 miles :-D )

Not sure 'bullet proof' reliability is possible within those parameters Marlin, given you'd be looking at cars more than 10 years old. In fact taking in that 50k miles limit, there are not many choices full stop, and removing the insurance write off's actually leaves 13 choices (on Autotrader). If you want more than two seats, that drops to just 6 possible candidates!. Of those, this Audi A4 looks about the nicest to me, though I have no idea about the reliability: 202106133793718

What does power cost? - Marlin1

I saw that one. It really needs to be a bright red or black.

It's all a dream though, I need something boring and reliable at the mo. Perhaps when I am retired and can afford to have a car off the road for a while whilst I get it fixed.

I saw that one. It really needs to be a bright red or black.

It's all a dream though, I need something boring and reliable at the mo. Perhaps when I am retired and can afford to have a car off the road for a while whilst I get it fixed.

I think you are being a bit pessimistic there!. As I said, I'm not sure if there are any particular reliability issues to worry about on that particular era of A4 with that engine. But assuming not, even in a 13 year old car I would have no qualms at all about using it daily. OK it isn't going to be that efficient, but unless you cover big miles, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I reckon you'd be looking at 25-28mpg average, maybe + 10mpg on a cruise?.

That A4 is only 2 years older than the VW Caddy I rely on for my work, and I'd bet the Audi has led a much more pampered life!.

Unless you need more space/practicality, or you cover a lot of miles, I'd say go for it now!. I did notice a black one of the same age which had a bit more miles, but that really wouldn't bother me much at all as long as it had been looked after.