Any - Brother and law retirement car - JonestHon

I had a chat yesterday with my wife's brother, and his looming retirement at the end of the year came up.

He is a teacher and was living close to the school, so he didn't use a car to get to work but have a very old knackered V reg Audi A4 that he uses for the occasional 500 miles trip to Lincolnshire. His kid left the nest, so it's just him and the Mrs.

Now that he is retiring, he is thinking of replacing the A4 with a smaller new car that will last him over 15 years or until he or the car will push daisies., this is his most important criteria. The budget is up to 20k plus a bit for the right vehicle. He is not a car person. He needs wheels for A to B with no drama and fewer gadgets as possible.

I asked how many miles/year and what pattern of driving he predict?

The answer was up to 7k and 70% short 10 miles journeys, with the rest spent on the motorway.

We filtered the choices to a new Yaris design (around £20k), new Dacia Sandero Essential (around £10k), Honda Jazz SE (around £20k)

Knowing that the Japanese example above can probably make it to 15+ years, the inevitable question of why is the Dacia half the price did come up.

My opinion was that the Dacia probably would make it to 15+ years with careful ownership. Still, I said I'll ask here as I am not sure if it will be a fair comparison seeing that the Japanese motors are hybrids while the little Romanian has a small turbo engine that might be under more stress leading to a shorter life.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - badbusdriver

Both the Yaris and Jazz are hybrid only. As well as the hybrid gubbins, both are auto. Were you to choose the Sandero as an auto (which I don't think you can on the entry level model), that would close the gap a little.

If the two Japanese contenders weren't hybrid, they'd probably be more like £15k for the entry level.

Are they worth the extra?, difficult question to which I think only your brother in law can answer. Is the Sandero inherently unreliable?, I don't think so, but at the same time, both the Yaris and Jazz will definitely be more reliable.

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/06/2021 at 11:07

Any - Brother and law retirement car - joegrundy

I'd recommend the Sandero without hesitation, but probably go for the Comfort version. If I were to buy a new car, that's what I'd go for.

My son had a Sandero 1.2 for 5 years. Absolutely reliable, no problems. The new sandero seems to be far better. Don't know about lasting 15 years (for any of them), but with the comparitive cost of the Sandero you could change it part way through and still be ahead.

Edited by joegrundy on 18/06/2021 at 11:21

Any - Brother and law retirement car - joegrundy

"while the little Romanian has a small turbo engine that might be under more stress leading to a shorter life."

Well, it's a Renault engine also used by other manufacturers - Mercedes use the 1.3.

It's modern engineering, tried and tested. The 0.9 90tce has been around for a few years, and in my experience is good to drive with low end torque and plenty of power. I'm not aware of any reliabilty issues.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - John F

With such a low annual mileage, probably lower after another ten years, it would make more financial sense to go for a nearly new car. With care and attention to possible corrosion appearance after a decade or so, a modern mundane car should last at least twenty years and 150,000 miles. Even our last century Ford Focus has managed this. Apart from the inevitable Asian recommendations on this site I would suggest also considering what we are very pleased with so far - a Peugeot 2008. If a non-car person he should go for the EAT6 auto, not only for ease of driving but also to protect the engine from unsympathetic use. There are plenty of top spec old shape nearly new models available for under 20K.

Any - Brother and law retirement - catsdad

If his battered Audi can survive a few months into his retirement then he may as well wait until he has settled into his new lifestyle. It’s then easier to understand his new needs.

I retired eight years ago. I am driving more miles but on far fewer occasions. The biggest impact has been the arrival of my grandson and Grandparent duties are easier with our Golf estate. Modern babies have a lot more kit than when ours were born 30 odd years ago. The point is life is very different than I forecast a few months before retirement.

That aside if he is minded to plan for a change then I would still go for something a little bigger. We take several weekend and longer trips a year where a bit of space is handy. I also would stick to buying used at 1-2 years old. Why suffer new depreciation if plans change and he doesn’t keep it long?

Our daughter has just bought a 2018 Suzuki Vitara 1.6 that I think would make a good retirement car. It’s bit good space and reliability, it’s high so easy to access and it’s not too big. New unreg main dealer 1.4 turbos were advertised last week at a huge £7k discount from list of £22k. That’s less than my usual preference of nearly new. I suspect these were based on taking finance but that can be got round.

Any - Brother and law retirement - daveyjp

If I wanted a small vehicle for 15 years use, with reduced potential for an expensive bill in years 5-10, I'd avoid anything with a turbo.

Any - Brother and law retirement - badbusdriver

Ignoring the thorny issue of the Dacia (whether to save that huge chunk of money), I'd go for the Jazz.

I like the fact that Honda have kept the traditional Jazz proportions instead of trying to make it more sporty and trendy by being lower and wider like the Yaris. That is just my personal view though, both the Jazz or Yaris are going to be very reliable.

Any - Brother and law retirement - brum

I cannot get my head around about how we've got to the stage where we have to spend £20k to buy a shopping trolley, all be it a reliable shopping trolley.

Judging by my experience, once you are retired and if you are the type to take life easy, new cars are simply a waste of money and a source of stress. Even more so if you take them on finance when IMO they are a black hole. When I recently looked in detail at the true running cost of my Superb with the low mileage that I do, less than 4000 miles a year, I was shocked to work out that it was costing me upwards of 70p per mile, with depreciation being the major kicker.

I personally would at least take a look at the Dacia, maybe an extended Dacia warranty to 7 years at £795. Or how about just continue running the Audi on bangernomics terms, and hire a nice car if you want to go somewhere far or on holiday?

Any - Brother and law retirement - badbusdriver

I cannot get my head around about how we've got to the stage where we have to spend £20k to buy a shopping trolley, all be it a reliable shopping trolley.

The (derogatory) term 'shopping trolley', applies to a car only suitable for short urban trips, i.e, to the shops. Non of the three cars being considered here fall into that category, with the least powerful (the Dacia) offering up 90bhp and a top speed of 110mph. That you require (or choose) an enormous boat of a car, doesn't make any of the three choices less capable of doing anything thrown at them.

Unfortunately, the mentality of many consider 'the bigger the better' the most important consideration when it comes to judging the merit of a particular car. Rather than looking objectively at it, for example you could ask yourself, "should I spend £40k on a car which will do everything I need of it, or should I spend £20k on a car which will do everything I need of it, but takes up less road space?". Would choosing the latter rather than the former make it poor value?.

As already pointed out, both the Yaris and Jazz are hybrids. So not simple cars, but complex machines which need to seamlessly balance the usage of ICE and electric motor along with brake regen. I don't really think they are particularly poor value, certainly compared to the (IMO) inferior Audi A1, but even a Fiesta.

Any - Brother and law retirement - brum

Having lost my elderly sister and two friends who all died at the scene when a ford focus hit their toyota aygo almost head on, even though they were travelling at only 30 mph, I do consider a Yaris sized car as a shopping trolley. And I do consider a larger car intrinsically safer, particularly when on busy high speed roads like a motorway. NCAP star ratings are seriously flawed in that respect.

Having said that, I can concur the Superb often handles like a boat and I have been less than enamored by it during the 3 years I've owned it. Despite its high spec it cost me 20k brand new 3 years ago. I fail to see why such tiny cars now cost as much or even more.

I understand this forum is dominated by Yaris/Jazz fans so I expect to be flamed accordingly.

Any - Brother and law retirement - Xileno

"NCAP star ratings are seriously flawed in that respect."

Aren't they relative to the class? When the Jag XF came out I think it was only NCAP 4 but still a better place to be in an accident than a 5 star small car, to me anyway.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - SLO76
With such a low mileage use in mind a hybrid is a bit unnecessary in my opinion. If he’s happy enough with a manual box there’s plenty availability of low mileage previous gen 19 plate Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris and the current Mazda 2 with hardly any miles for £10-£11k. A new Yaris hybrid is a better car (as long as you’re not an enthusiast driver) but they start at £18,500 with a bit of negotiation new and £17k nearly new so it’s a fair bit of extra money and complexity for no real reason. I’d buy 2yr old instead, it’ll still be running in 15yrs and you’ve a load of spare cash to replace it if required.
Any - Brother and law retirement car - Xileno

I think I would be going for a decent secondhand as well, given the pace of battery technology improvement. Who knows where it will be in five years, let alone ten or fifteen. Once the recharge times are lower then range becomes less important for the 500 mile journey.

Thanks for all the advice.

I had a look with him on what is suggested here.

Didn't take long and he decided to go tomorrow and test a one owner better looking 2019 Yaris 1.5 N/A with 15k on the clock for £9800 and the balance of Mr T's warranty.

He also going to test drive the Sandero Comfort just in case he doesn't like the Yaris.

Having lost my elderly sister and two friends who all died at the scene when a ford focus hit their toyota aygo almost head on, even though they were travelling at only 30 mph, I do consider a Yaris sized car as a shopping trolley. And I do consider a larger car intrinsically safer, particularly when on busy high speed roads like a motorway. NCAP star ratings are seriously flawed in that respect.

While I am sorry for what happened to your sister and her friends, I'm afraid that is far too simplistic an attitude. Though it does seem to be quite common for folk who don't actually bother to find out what makes one car safer than another in an accident.

First, in terms of its design, the Aygo is an old car. They (the Aygo along with the C1 and 107) first appeared in 2005, and if you strip away the bells and whistles in the current version, underneath (structurally) it is essentially the same car. There have been three all new Yaris' in the same period, each utilising the latest advancements in crash protection (structurally, not just electronic aids).

Second, is the simple fact that despite your assertions that a bigger car is safer than a smaller one, you are contradicting this comparing the new Yaris directly with an Aygo despite it being 24% bigger going by its 'footprint'. The biggest of the trio being considered, the Sandero, has a footprint some 34% bigger than the Aygo. By contrast, a (2015) Skoda Superb has a footprint 21% bigger than the Sandero. Also, there have been plenty of well documented cases (again, for those who actually look into it rather than make assumptions) of big cars which have performed very poorly in crash tests (Chrysler Voyager springs to mind). Finally (and I know I have mentioned this more than once, but hey ho!), the TV programme 5th Gear crashed a (then new) Renault Modus into a Volvo 940 estate. You'd no doubt consider the Volvo intrinsically safer than the Renault by dint of its size, having a footprint 33% bigger along with that huge bonnet (the Modus is for all intents and purposes, a 'monobox' with virtually no bonnet to speak of). The offset (drivers side to drivers side) head on crash involved both vehicles doing 40mph, and the result the dummies showed was that while the Renault driver would have had some whiplash and possibly some minor lower leg injuries, he would have opened the door walked (or limped) away. The Volvo's driver?, well he would have survived, but there would have been extensive injuries (and he would have needed to be cut out of the car, so badly had the Volvo's structure deformed).

"NCAP star ratings are seriously flawed in that respect."

Aren't they relative to the class? When the Jag XF came out I think it was only NCAP 4 but still a better place to be in an accident than a 5 star small car, to me anyway.

Depends, if we are talking about one category down, I'd expect the 5 star car to be safer. Two categories down?, the bigger 4 star car would probably be equal or possibly slightly better.

“ He also going to test drive the Sandero Comfort just in case he doesn't like the Yaris.”

While I quite like the more basic Sandero’s it’s not a car I’d buy with long term ownership in mind. They tend to become a bit tatty and rattly with age while the likes of a Yaris or Jazz will still feel like a step above. The less stressed normally aspirated petrol motors in the Japanese cars will almost certainly be more reliable as they pass beyond the warranty cover too. There’s also a keen market for tidy older examples of each too while the Dacia will be worthless by year 7.
Any - Brother and law retirement car - FiestaOwner
“ He also going to test drive the Sandero Comfort just in case he doesn't like the Yaris.” While I quite like the more basic Sandero’s it’s not a car I’d buy with long term ownership in mind. They tend to become a bit tatty and rattly with age while the likes of a Yaris or Jazz will still feel like a step above. The less stressed normally aspirated petrol motors in the Japanese cars will almost certainly be more reliable as they pass beyond the warranty cover too. There’s also a keen market for tidy older examples of each too while the Dacia will be worthless by year 7.

The new Sandero is getting very good reviews. It's also meant to be a much better car than the old one. It looks a lot nicer than the old one too. I think its definitely worth a look.

I would be looking at the TCE (Turbo petrol) models. The non turbo ones are only 67PS, which isn't much for this size of car.

“ The new Sandero is getting very good reviews.”

New car reviews don’t factor in long term reliability or durability. They look at how that new car drives during the test with no eye on the long term. Look at all of motoring press reviews singing the praises of Fords fragile 1.0 Ecoboost engine and Powershift gearboxes, VW’s weak DSG and Mazda’s unreliable 2.2 Skyactiv diesels. I like the Dacia but I’d still favour a longer lasting used Japanese supermini and I’ll wager it’s still running years after the Dacia has been turned into dog food tins.
“ The new Sandero is getting very good reviews.” New car reviews don’t factor in long term reliability or durability. They look at how that new car drives during the test with no eye on the long term. Look at all of motoring press reviews singing the praises of Fords fragile 1.0 Ecoboost engine and Powershift gearboxes, VW’s weak DSG and Mazda’s unreliable 2.2 Skyactiv diesels. I like the Dacia but I’d still favour a longer lasting used Japanese supermini and I’ll wager it’s still running years after the Dacia has been turned into dog food tins.

Having had a duff Yaris (pre reg) I'd favour the Dacia. It's a car I would consider myself (the new model, don't like the look of the old one).

The sooner my old Yaris is turned into dog food tins, the better.

“ Having had a duff Yaris (pre reg) I'd favour the Dacia. It's a car I would consider myself (the new model, don't like the look of the old one).

The sooner my old Yaris is turned into dog food tins, the better.”

A duff Yaris is a very very rare thing, so rare in fact that I’ve never encountered one in my many years of selling them. In fact I can’t think of a single Toyota I’ve owned, bought or sold that has ever went wrong beyond normal wear and tear like tyres, exhausts and brakes. A knackered Renault Clio (Dacia Sandero) is however much more likely. You’ve been very unlucky but I do get the appeal of a new Dacia every 3 years. It’s largely worry free if kept under warranty and good value if you don’t allow yourself to creep up the range too far.
A duff Yaris is a very very rare thing, so rare in fact that I’ve never encountered one in my many years of selling them. In fact I can’t think of a single Toyota I’ve owned, bought or sold that has ever went wrong beyond normal wear and tear like tyres, exhausts and brakes. A knackered Renault Clio (Dacia Sandero) is however much more likely. You’ve been very unlucky but I do get the appeal of a new Dacia every 3 years. It’s largely worry free if kept under warranty and good value if you don’t allow yourself to creep up the range too far.

I suppose everyone's experience is different. I had a pre reg 04 plate Clio 1.2 16v, which I traded in at 8 years old. Ran for 5 years with no issues.

After 5 years 3 things went wrong (outside routine service items), but was able to fix them myself: Leaking sunroof (found instructions online on how to fix properly), broken front spring, broken drop link. The only job I had to get a garage to do was to replace a split reluctor ring for the ABS (did diagnose the problem myself).

I traded the car in at 8 years old. The last MOT expired when the car was 16 years old. Not too bad for a car I paid £7300 for and traded in for £1500. Wasn't an expensive car to run.

Having had a positive experience with this Renault, I'm not adverse to Renault / Dacia. If you've a bad experience with a brand (which I have had, and borne the financial cost of!) you're far less likely to trust them again.

Everyone's experience is different though.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 19/06/2021 at 07:42

Any - Brother and law retirement car - Engineer Andy

I suppose everyone's experience is different. I had a pre reg 04 plate Clio 1.2 16v, which I traded in at 8 years old. Ran for 5 years with no issues.

After 5 years 3 things went wrong (outside routine service items), but was able to fix them myself: Leaking sunroof (found instructions online on how to fix properly), broken front spring, broken drop link. The only job I had to get a garage to do was to replace a split reluctor ring for the ABS (did diagnose the problem myself).

I traded the car in at 8 years old. The last MOT expired when the car was 16 years old. Not too bad for a car I paid £7300 for and traded in for £1500. Wasn't an expensive car to run.

Having had a positive experience with this Renault, I'm not adverse to Renault / Dacia. If you've a bad experience with a brand (which I have had, and borne the financial cost of!) you're far less likely to trust them again.

Everyone's experience is different though.

To be fair, your Yaris wasn't new when you bought it, thus apart from the leaking sunroof, the other two 'faults' could easily have been either wear and tear or poor driving (e.g. driving incorrectly/too fast over speed humps/cushions or through pothole a lot) from any owner over its life. Suspension items are one of those that can easily fail on any car due to usage or mistreatment.

Presumably the leaking sunroof happened after the warranty had expired, but if it was easy enough for you to fix, to do so at either a dealership or indie wouldn't have been that expensive either.

To be fair, your Yaris wasn't new when you bought it, thus apart from the leaking sunroof, the other two 'faults' could easily have been either wear and tear or poor driving (e.g. driving incorrectly/too fast over speed humps/cushions or through pothole a lot) from any owner over its life. Suspension items are one of those that can easily fail on any car due to usage or mistreatment.

Presumably the leaking sunroof happened after the warranty had expired, but if it was easy enough for you to fix, to do so at either a dealership or indie wouldn't have been that expensive either.

EA in my last post, which you quoted, I only mentioned a Renault Clio, I didn't mention a Toyota Yaris!

My Yaris was Pre-reg (3 weeks old). It had under 10 miles on it when I took delivery of it. It was 8 months old (10,000 miles) when I traded it in.

My post detailed the minor faults which i had on my Clio after it was 5 years old. I'm quite aware that suspension issues are common on older cars (I wasn't complaining about them). I was making a point about how few issues I had with the Clio and that it wasn't an expensive car to own.

The Clio was one of my better buys.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - Metropolis.
A hybrid Toyota would be a safe bet, reliable, 10 year warranty and more likely (I think) to keep up with ever tightening emissions regs. 8.5 years until all new cars sold have to be hybrid. Boris has gone and married her now, so expect that green agenda to get even more severe, unless of course he cheats and finds another newer younger model who is a petrol head lol.

If you want a buy it and forget it car, a Toyota will do just fine.
Any - Brother and law retirement car - DavidGlos

The latest version of the Toyota Corolla would be within budget if slightly used. A bit bigger than a Yaris, but should be similarly reliable.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - Sprice

He's retiring, treat himself, I wouldn't even consider a Dacia if you can afford other options, even if it's second hand vs new. He'd be depressed every time he sat in or looked at the Dacia.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - FoxyJukebox

Suggestion--whatever you choose-just check there is a dealer reasonably located nearby( 8 miles max?) for servicing/any warranty work etc.....?

Suggestion--whatever you choose-just check there is a dealer reasonably located nearby( 8 miles max?) for servicing/any warranty work etc.....?

Also make sure that the main dealer used has a good reputation. To be honest I'd widen my travel radius to more than 8 miles, especially if the person lives in a rural area. The nearest town to me is 11-12 miles away, meaning I'd be limited to Fords and KIAs. Id say 20-25 would be enough, given they should hopefully only be visiting the garage once a year, twice tops every few years.

Best to get the car they want, as long as there's a decent dealership reasonably nearby to maintain it. Unless you're really lucnky, there's always going to be an elemnt of compromise in all this.

I'd go for a reliable, comfortable, simple, frugal car and certainly not a new one for the type of driving pattern described. Nearly new, perhaps. I bet they could pick up something decent for half their budget, putting the remainder towards maintenance and nice leisure spending to enjoy their retirement.

Joy of a simple petrol engined Japanese supermini is that they’re mechanically simple and robust, any decent dealer or independent can service them easy enough but yes if it still has warranty left (5yrs from new with the 19 plate Yaris) then you do want a main dealer within reasonable range to service it with to maintain the warranty. That said, it’s highly unlikely you’ll ever need it.

I often moan that people ignore sensible advice and buy daft cars unsuitable for their means but at my work many have listened over the years and this morning the car park was starting to resemble a Toyota dealerships sales lot. Most are Yaris models and none of their owners or keepers ever seem to have a negative word to say.
Any - Brother and law retirement car - barney100

7k a year? why bother with a little car, 20k will get you a decent e class, 5 series, or the like, good indie and 15 years is a doddle in comfort.

7k a year? why bother with a little car, 20k will get you a decent e class, 5 series, or the like, good indie and 15 years is a doddle in comfort.

1. Because my BIL want to downgrade to a smaller car (A4 to Yaris size)

2. Comfort is not a criteria, no complex gizmos is

3. Teacher pension is modest, fixed and he is a rambler/hippy/Bitnik type and will not be seen dead in a Beemer

4. Their drive is 60's size so too small for a 5 series and no off-street spots anywhere near

Edited by JonestHon on 19/06/2021 at 14:18

Any - Brother and law retirement car - brum

Make sure he can fit all his rambler hippy bitnik stuff in the boot.

Here's Mat Watson from Carwow YouTube review of the Toyota Yaris

youtu.be/Iq7YgpnJ_FY

Any - Brother and law retirement car - Metropolis.
Ah, didnt realise he is a rambler, may I change my suggestion to a Dacia, maybe with a Renault dual clutch, that way he is less likely to make it out of town and be rambling on our green lanes. Joking!

Why bother with a big car if you neither need nor want one?.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - barney100

Yep, we all have our own preferences and that's the interesting and healthy thing about this site.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - brum

Yep, we all have our own preferences and that's the interesting and healthy thing about this site.

So long as its a Toyota or a Honda, or, at a push, a Mazda. Individual exceptions are made for anything Skidpan has owned or runs, and a collection of bangers owned by John F, some still apparently running with the same engine oil they were filled with in the last century.

Occasionally we get a guy named edith or some other that runs an obscure and ancient far eastern car, posts about fixing it up with string, chewing gum, margarine, and old baked bean cans. He lives in a far away country, posts when everyone is asleep, and probably has a masters degree in fixer upping. Allegedly, he runs it to annoy his bosses, good for him I say.

Just joking btw ;)

Edited by brum on 20/06/2021 at 12:28

So long as its a Toyota or a Honda, or, at a push, a Mazda. Individual exceptions are made for anything Skidpan has owned or runs, and a collection of bangers owned by John F, some still apparently running with the same engine oil they were filled with in the last century.

Occasionally we get a guy named edith or some other that runs an obscure and ancient far eastern car, posts about fixing it up with string, chewing gum, margarine, and old baked bean cans. He lives in a far away country, posts when everyone is asleep, and probably has a masters degree in fixer upping. Allegedly, he runs it to annoy his bosses, good for him I say.

Just joking btw ;)

Glad you added the ;) there, as I suspect some BRers may not have thought it was a joke! :-)

Happy Father's Day all.

Any - Brother and law retirement car - veryoldbear

Chuckle. I live in Oxfordshire and outside we have two Saab 95's (one saloon and one estate) and a Yaris. The combined value may go into four figures but I'm not betting on it. But they all start and go, without recourse to string and tin cans.

Spoke with BIL today.

Decided against Dacia due to careless dealer during test.

Tested an awfully gold special edition manual Yaris 1.5 2019 with 18k on the clock. Also tried a new Jazz.

He decided on the Yaris as the Honda has too many buttons (?!).

That'll be the Y20 special edition then!.

Colour not withstanding, they are great cars, I'm sure he'll be very happy with it.

Spoke with BIL today.

Decided against Dacia due to careless dealer during test.

Tested an awfully gold special edition manual Yaris 1.5 2019 with 18k on the clock. Also tried a new Jazz.

A petrol Yaris is pretty much bulletproof. I’ve every confidence it’ll still be running reliably in 15yrs time.
Any - Brother and law retirement car - Heidfirst

& once it's original 5 yr warranty runs out, as long as he gets it serviced at a dealer once a year, under Toyota's new scheme it will be warrantied until 2029 (10 years).