SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Spotherror

Hi, this is now the 4th forum I have posted this on so hoping to get an answer soon! I am servicing my Ibiza FR (63 plate) and removed the old oil filter which had no plastic bit on the dirty end of the filter. The new one arrived today but this one has a plastic bit on the end with a spring in the middle of it. What is this for and does it matter that the old filter didn't have one and the new one does?

This is what the old one looks like:

www.autodoc.co.uk/frigair/13898981

This is what the new one looks like:

www.autodoc.co.uk/mann-filter/7517587?gshp=1&g...B

Any help appreciated.

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - elekie&a/c doctor

I would say the new filter is the wrong type for your car . Where is the oil filter located on your engine?

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Ian D
They look different. Put your number into gsf car parts and Eurocarparts websites and we what filter comes up
SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Rerepo

You want Mann W712/95 NOT W712/93..

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - focussed

Here's what you should do.

Go to your nearest SEAT dealer's parts counter,.

Ask for an oil filter for a SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR,

The nice man or lady behind the counter will look it up on their computer and will go and find it and put it on the counter in front of you.

Pay for it, take it home and fit it, It will fit and be the correct one for that car of yours.

Job done.

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Spotherror

Thanks for the replies everyone. These picture were just for reference only not the actual filters I have. I found out that Polo 1.2 TSI has the same (or similar) engine and found this video-clip on YouTube of someone changing the filter www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWT2tG13hIc&t=229s

The filter he removes and puts in is the same as the one I ordered, so this leads me to believe the garage who serviced it previously put in the wrong oil filter - hopefully no harm done! Still don't know what the plastic springy thing is for though...

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Big John

You have to be careful with the 1.2tsi around this age as there are two totally different engines on the go in different VAG cars/models. The chain cam 8v EA111 and the later cam belt 16v EA211.

If the oil filter is top left of the engine (looking from the front) above the alternator then it's the EA111 - As it's up top and upside down the filter has a non return valve and it's also supposed to drain the oil back to sump as the filter is being removed. Fitting of the correct filter is very important with this engine and it mustn't be overtightened other wise damage can be done to the afore mentioned valves. If ever changing DIY - to be sure it's worth covering the alternator with a cloth just in case the oil contents are dumped over it! (Normally this shouldn't happen)

If the oil filter is down below then it'll be the EA211 engine.

Edited by Big John on 05/03/2021 at 09:31

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - skidpan

I would expect a 63 plate to have the belt cam engine, our 13 plate Leon did.

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Big John

I would expect a 63 plate to have the belt cam engine, our 13 plate Leon did.

Sorry missed reply!

It can depend on the cars model age. If I remember correctly a 13 plate Leon was a new model but the Ibiza was mid model life.

My 1.4 14 plate mkII Superb still had the cam chain EA111 but the equivalent newer model but same aged Octavia had the cam belt EA211.

"removed the old oil filter which had no plastic bit on the dirty end of the filter"

The "plastic bit" sounds like the sealing ring which could have stuck to the filter housing - IE it didn't come off with the filter, it occasionally happens.

If you fit a new filter with it's captive sealing ring on top of the stuck sealing ring the oil pressure will blow the stuck ring out and you will lose the oil and possibly wreck the engine.

[Duplicate post below deleted]

Edited by Xileno on 19/03/2021 at 06:33

SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR - Oil Filter - Andrew-T

The "plastic bit" sounds like the sealing ring which could have stuck to the filter housing - IE it didn't come off with the filter, it occasionally happens.

Two weeks after the OP, he/she hasn't responded, so perhaps we should assume the oil change has been completed .. ?

Two weeks after the OP, he/she hasn't responded, so perhaps we should assume the oil change has been completed .. ?

Probably - but I just thought I would mention it for the education of all posters especially those who haven't had the dubious experience of removing hundreds of oil filters.