Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - MGspannerman

A neighbour is having some work done and the builder with his big white van parks near us. We have only on road parking in the centre of the village. Pulling out this morning he scuffed the offside rear bumper. My next door neighbour saw him from the front room window and he came and knocked on her door, he said it was minor damage and would T Cut out. She told him it was my car.

i Expected him to knock before leaving and have a word. At the end of the afternoon he just got in his van and drove away! I was keeping an eye out for him but obviously missed him.

i have all his details, sign written van, my neighbour’s evidence and photographs of both my vehicle and his. The bumper is scratched and scuffed and also sprung leaving a large gap. I am concerned that whilst he thinks it is a quick polish job, it isn’t, and there may well be further damage as evident by the sprung bumper. I will call him later and request his insurance details and suggest we meet tomorrow morning to discuss. I have arranged for Chipsaway to call tomorrow to take a look.

I feel he has shown bad faith by not contacting me, and I am now much less inclined to deal with this informally. I will see what Chipsaway have to say but may take it it my local dealer for a quote as well. That should frighten him!

any advice anybody has? I think I have covered my options but is there anything else you would suggest?

Many thanks

Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - Heidfirst

For leverage ... Unless he has reported it to the police within 24hrs he has committed an offence by leaving the scene of an accident cartwrightking.co.uk/areas-of-practice/motoring-la...t

Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - Palcouk

Its also possible that white van man was not aware that he scuffed your bumper. The dealer will get any repair done by a third party chips/scuff repairer

Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - Heidfirst

considering that "he came and knocked on her door, he said it was minor damage and would T Cut out. " I would say that he was aware ...

Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - jp2021

Did your neighbour actually witness, and have a clear view of, the van hitting your car? If so ( and many witnesses turn out to have heard the impact, or seen the van after the accident which is not the same thing) then get an estimate , contact your motor legal expense company and go and tell the builder that you will be persueing the full cost .

The legal expenses co can find the insurers and policy number and if the neighbour is a decent witness then his insurers may settle promptly.

Problems can occur where the neighbour later decides they don't want to be involved , didnt see it or it turns out not to be insured.

Toyota Yaris 66 reg - Rear bumper scuff - MGspannerman

Thanks Folks for your inputs. The process has been made considerably easier by the fact that he has admitted responsibility, in addition my neighbour had a clear view and is very certain about that. I had a SMART repairer look at it and he said it needs a new bumper as the clips had been broken. This considerably increases the cost, of which the driver is aware, I am getting quotes and he will decide whether or not to got through his insurance. A bit more than a wipe over with T Cut I'm afraid.

I now have a quote for the repair,, around £1k, and the deal said that I would need to pay the bill. I suspect too many times they have been bilked by third parties not paying up. A lesson for me there too.