Suzuki Swift Sport - Beating around the bush - BPL

Just got an MOT fail for;

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

They charged £360 for a retest and 2 new complete suspension arms. Am I old fashioned but we used to press bushes out and replace. A quick look at FleaBay shows aftermarket bushes a plenty for a few quid each.

Suzuki Swift Sport - Beating around the bush - madf

Most bushes require pressing in.

And removing the old bush is often a pia.

When our 2002 Yaris required new front bushes I bought and fitted two new arms ex Ebay at £40.. Been there with pressing bushes and removing old ones. It can take hours without correct tools.

Edited by madf on 23/02/2021 at 12:43

Suzuki Swift Sport - Beating around the bush - focussed

I've suffered this MOT obsession with failing cars on "deteriorated rubber bushes" before, when the inspector is looking just at the surface coating of the rubber which cracks with age, the body of the bush being perfectly ok when you remove the old one.

It's the usual makey workey - makey money scheme when the MOT station also carries out repairs.

Suzuki Swift Sport - Beating around the bush - BPL

I've suffered this MOT obsession with failing cars on "deteriorated rubber bushes" before, when the inspector is looking just at the surface coating of the rubber which cracks with age, the body of the bush being perfectly ok when you remove the old one.

It's the usual makey workey - makey money scheme when the MOT station also carries out repairs.

10 years ago my mechanic told me i needed all the bushes replacing. 10 years on I haven't replaced one of them. Th MOT centre did not do repairs.....