Renault scenic - MOT fine - Vikki peat
A couple of questions regarding MOT fine. Yes I made the mistake of letting my car run out of MOT by I believe 11 days. It was right on top of Xmas, stress levels very high, 2 kids, finding out I was pregnant, I totally forgot. I was driving and got pulled over by the police, who said it was overdue etc. Some people have said I was lucky as it can get towed away etc. But the police just said, don’t worry you may only get a warning, if not £100 fine.
I wasn’t naive I was fully expecting the £100 fine within 28 days which I got a few days ago. Was my own fault so no issue. Will admit I was a little bit hoping I would only get a warning and the lockdown, 11 days overdue etc would be in my favour. No I got the fine.
My question is who decides the fine/warning, how is it decided? What factors are looked at. I had a friend who went 5 months over without an MOT yet she got away with just a warning????seems bizarre that I was 11 days over and got a fine, and she got away with it???.
I have no offences, no tickets etc so it can’t be decided on that basis??? Can anyone shed any light into what happened. Quite frustrating when you look at it.
Also is it worth appealing with the above argument?? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay it? Like I say it’s totally my own fault
Renault scenic - MOT fine - RT

Has the car now been MoT'd ?

Renault scenic - MOT fine - daveyjp

The Police decide on the level of action.

If its a warning they would tell you and you would be on your way. If its a penalty they will issue it immediately.

MOT is strict liability, you either have one or you don't. Only defences are the car is old enough not to need one, you are on the way to have an MOT.

You need to get your car MOT and pay the £100.

I went in the back of the police car, answered some questions and they did their checks and just said, it could be a warning it could be a fine. It’s not up to them and I’ll get something in the post within 28 days
Yes car is MOT’d,
Renault scenic - MOT fine - Middleman

You have been offered a Fixed Penalty and the amount (£100) is, as the title suggests, fixed. The choices for the police were a warning, a fixed penalty or court action (where it would have cost you considerably more than £100).

Renault scenic - MOT fine - Bromptonaut

As Middleman says it's a fixed penalty; £100 but (I think) no points.

There's unlikely to be any discernible rhyme or reason as to why some people get a warning and others get a penalty. It could just be that there's a purge on MoT offences either nationally or in your area. The pandemic and everything that goes with it will undoubtedly have led to more cars being stopped for no MoT which may be why there's a purge....

Some other beggar getting away with it isn't going to help.

Contesting it means going to court where the penalty is potentially higher and costs a serious risk.

Paying up looks like the simplest option.

Renault scenic - MOT fine - Gerry Sanderson

The length of time MOT has expired will decide what action generally.

Just over - roadside warning.

Month over - fixed penalty or court action

Depends on individual force

dvd