Help with new car - ilove-VWs
Can anyone advise me, I need to buy a bigger car either SUV or MPV can anyone suggest the best most reliable and economical make and model please and also which ones to avoid that are known for problems any suggestions would be amazing I just don’t no where to start Thanks
Help with new car - badbusdriver

Well you need to give us something to work with for a start!.

How much can you spend?, how many miles do you cover, and what type of journeys? (i.e, short stop start town work or longer motorway/main road stuff). Also, auto or manual?.

Hi I need it for mainly short journeys on country lanes with 2 under 3’s in car seats in the back i would like to get something reliable for about £8000 thanks
Help with new car - _

Get yourself a Kia venga1.4 manual or the hyundai i20, identical mechanically.

Tardis like interior. Good engineering. Isofix seat attachments.

Help with new car - Avant

I think the Hyundai IX 20 is the one nearest to the Kia Venga, but I agree that one of these could fit the bill. For your budget you'll get a newer one than you would a VW.

If these are still too small (you haven't told us what you have currently - why so reluctant to give information when you want advice?). the Skoda Yeti is worth a look. Go for a manual rather than an automatic.

Thank you for all your help there are some interesting cars to look at that I wouldn’t of considered .. sorry I didn’t no what info to give I’m new to this .. I drive a VW Beetle at the moment and it’s been a lovely car but is too small for 2 car seats and passengers it’s really a one Or two person car and I also need 5 doors the VW Is 3 door

Given the user name, first couple of suggestions are the VW Golf SV and the VW Touran. The Touran is similar in size to a Vauxhall Zafira, usually comes as a 7 seater, but a 5 seat version is also available. The Golf SV is an often overlooked car, unfairly so IMO, but essentially a tall Golf. The extra height makes it easier for loading/unloading kiddies, boot has a usefully greater volume than the Golf, but it takes up no more space on the road. For your usage, the 1.2 or 1.4 turbo petrols would be the best option

The Skoda Yeti suggested by Avant, is mechanically the same as the Gol SV and Touran, but more of an SUV that an MPV in appearance.

I'd also put forward the Suzuki SX4 S-Cross. This is one of two smallish SUV's Suzuki makes, the other being the Vitara. The SX4 has a bigger boot and your £8k budget will get you into a 2016/2017 1.0 turbo petrol version. If you prefer the Vitara's looks, you'd get into a 1.6 n/a petrol of the same age.

The Kia Venga and Hyundai ix20 are both a decent shout, but I'd also include the Kia Soul. If you like its looks, your budget will get you into a 2016 car. Assuming full dealer history, this could have as much as 3 years manufacturer warranty remaining.

Thank you some great information you have given I will look at your car suggestions that is very interesting. Some cars I haven’t considered and now I will look at them . the trouble is I do like a VW mine is a good solid car but they always hold their price so much that second hand I could get a newer less mileage Skoda for less money .. What do you think of what Ford and Vauxhall have to offer or Renault I’ve often had Vauxhall saloons and they have been reliable and roomy and good quality but that was 15 -20 years ago I don’t no what there like now days

The trouble comes after doing some proper research and then having to sift through the results to try and avoid buying a potential dud.

With VW and the rest of the VAG stablemates, for your budget and age of car that will get you into, what you want to avoid is the DSG gearbox (which is why I asked earlier if you were after an auto or manual) and the Diesel engines, specifically the 1.6. This is the unit at the centre of the diesel gate scandal, apart from this, it is also not that reliable.

With Ford, buying used, you really want to try and avoid the 1.0 Ecoboost engine. With that budget, for the type of car you are looking for, probably a C-Max, this will be an issue. The 1.6 n/a petrol is absolutely fine though. You may also come upon the Ecosport, a small SUV, this is also likely to have the Ecoboost engine, as is the B-Max, a small MPV type. Also, you need to avoid the Poweshift auto, and because of your journeys, Diesel engines.

Vauxhalls are decent enough, just avoid the (Fiat sourced) Diesel engines. The Zafira or the Mokka X are certainly worth consideration if fitted with the 1.4 turbo petrol engine.

I'd avoid Renault, not that you can't get decent ones, but the reliability is patchy.

If reliability is the main factor, you'd best be looking at a Toyota Verso petrol. This is a mid sized MPV available with 5 or 7 seats and a choice of 1.6 and 1.8 petrol (avoid the diesel, it isn't that reliable).