Sat Nav - Drivethru

I'm looking to buy a sat nav for the first time. I'm thinking garmin or tomtom. I just need a UK, pretty basic model. The tomtom all seem to have 3 months free speed camera updates and the garmin have life time updates. I'm not sure how much this will matter. Would welcome opinions for a novice sat naver!

Sat Nav - bathtub tom

I thought most folk use Google maps or Waze. IIRC Halfords stopped selling satnavs.

Sat Nav - dan86

I thought most folk use Google maps or Waze. IIRC Halfords stopped selling satnavs.

Have used Google maps for at least the last 7-8 years instead of a sat nav. I find the mapping and rout planing to be excellent and so much easier to just have one device that goes in you pocket

Sat Nav - Metropolis.
I have switched to google maps as my car has a pioneer Apple CarPlay unit, but in remote areas with no phone signal it is no good, and fortunately I have unlimited data, otherwise it would become quite expensive.

Garmin vs Tomtom? General rule of thumb is garmin better for USA Tomtom better for Europe but there is not much in it really. Find models in your price range then find video reviews of those models on YouTube, see which map graphics you find easier to understand. And get one with lifetime free updates, most roads rarely change but the junctions do!
Sat Nav - dan86
I have switched to google maps as my car has a pioneer Apple CarPlay unit, but in remote areas with no phone signal it is no good, and fortunately I have unlimited data, otherwise it would become quite expensive. Garmin vs Tomtom? General rule of thumb is garmin better for USA Tomtom better for Europe but there is not much in it really. Find models in your price range then find video reviews of those models on YouTube, see which map graphics you find easier to understand. And get one with lifetime free updates, most roads rarely change but the junctions do!

I find that if you download the maps to the phone it doesn't make a difference to the navigation just the live traffic. I make a habit of downloading maps of the loca area when I go away just in case I am in a area with no signal

Sat Nav - alan1302
I have switched to google maps as my car has a pioneer Apple CarPlay unit, but in remote areas with no phone signal it is no good, and fortunately I have unlimited data, otherwise it would become quite expensive.

Satnav does not use much data

Sat Nav - mcb100
Another full time Waze or Google Maps phone user here. Load the route whilst you’re still in wifi, and three hours with Waze will use as little as 1.2MB.
That’s 12,500 hours of use to get through a typical 5GB monthly data allowance.

Edited by mcb100 on 03/12/2020 at 21:30

Sat Nav - daveyjp

I've used standalone Garmins for about 20 years, current model is my third and about 4 years old, it still updates free of charge. I've have had Tomtom satnav fitted in cars, used Google maps, waze and sygic on mobiles and through Apple carplay.

Without doubt the standalone Garmin is by far the best all rounder, largely because it gives good advanced notice of the next turn and the graphics are excellent, lane images for motorway junctions which replicate the actual signs etc.

One piece of advice is don't trust any of the speed limits given for roads!

Sat Nav - KB.

You can't take too much notice of anything I say, but i have got Waze and Google maps on my Android phone but invariably default back to my standalone Garmin. I find it easier to read and glance at. It has lifetime speed cameras on it and this latest one has a front facing dash cam. It's a Drive Assist 51 LMT - D

I've always had excellent service on the phone when ringing Garmin's helpline. They've never let me down if I've had a query or if I couldn't sort something out.

But I do accept I'm a bit of a dinasour.

Sat Nav - madf

I have used my basic Garmin for 10 years with lifetime maps.

Great for me as an occasional user. Parts of the Staffordshire Moorlands where I live are - err moorland and c 300 meters above sealevel and no mobile network so Google maps is a no go.

(ditto Westest Wales and Snowy Scotland).

Sat Nav - alan1302

I have used my basic Garmin for 10 years with lifetime maps.

Great for me as an occasional user. Parts of the Staffordshire Moorlands where I live are - err moorland and c 300 meters above sealevel and no mobile network so Google maps is a no go.

(ditto Westest Wales and Snowy Scotland).

You can download parts of Google maps so you don't need to worry so much about that and you can also buy TomTom and Garmin apps which download the maps to you phone as well.

Sat Nav - Archie35

I also prefer a standalone satnav compared to using my phone, but do use the phone on occasion. The standalone device is always there (if you are hopping in and out of a car, its a right pain having to connect/disconnect the phone each time, perhaps put it in a charger etc, whereas the satnav is just there all the time), has a bigger display, and is just slightly better designed for the purpose of in car use. But I do agree that a phone can make a very good subsitute.

Regarding brands, I have both (one each in 2 cars), both reasonably good mid-range models, though the TomTom is a couple of years newer than the Garmin. I greatly prefer the Garmin's menu layout, and the mapping display, but the TomTom is definitely better at route selection. Both have lifetime map updates, and I do think that is worth getting if you plan to keep the device for more than a year or 2. Both get traffic updates, but via different methods. The Garmin gets what it calls "digital traffic", which comes over the air. The TomTom gets its traffic updates through my mobile phone's 4G network. Again, the TomTom is much better when it comes to traffic updates. I am constantly blown away by how accurate its traffic reports are - generally it tells you where the start and finish of a delay is accurate to 50m or less, even when there is a rapidly growing delay. I have often compared its traffic accuracy to waze or google maps, and it is without doubt better. At the end of the day I would therefor go for another TomTom, despite its sometime counterintuitive menu layout, simply for its astonishing traffic accuracy and generally better routing - though it might well be that a newer Garmin can also compete. And I would still invest in a standalone device rather than relying only on my phone, just because I find it more convenient to have it permanently mounted in my car.

Sat Nav - KB.

^^^ Very helpful, Archie, ta.

I didn't know TomTom traffic was noticably better - even though my Garmin is fairly new the traffic doesn't seem that great, but then none of the previous ones have.

I've bought one Garmin (as noted in previous post) for each car but rather wish I'd gone for a TomTom in one of them. We live and learn.

Sat Nav - Drivethru

Thanks Archie, very helpful.