TFL Scrappage scheme question - anyname

Hi all hope someone can help me. An elderly member of my family has asked my help regarding the procurement of another car as her old banger has sadly passed the point of no return today (head gasket issues).).

She would be eligible for the TFL scrappage scheme and so could claim £2000 towards another car which is deemed" eco compliant". My question really relates to the purchasing of this newer eco car. In a nutshell, can this eco replacement be second hand, and can it be bought privately (ebay or gumtree) ????

Has anyone actually taken part in the scheme, if so how did you find it, did you prove the replacement vehicle via the log book or did you need to show a receipt from a dealer/private sale ect ect.

Kind regards and I am a genuine.

TFL Scrappage scheme question - Bromptonaut

The TFL page is here:

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/c...e

It looks as though the scheme objective is to get non ULEZ compliant vehicles scrapped. The reference to a grant which can be used towards a compliant vehicle together with a warning that the amount may affect means tested benefits suggest it's cash.

In other words I cannot see a condition that it's used for a vehicle at all, never mind a new one.

The place to get a definitive answer would surely be TfL.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 15/09/2020 at 09:46

TFL Scrappage scheme question - Falkirk Bairn

Scappage schemes in the past saw fixed amount off the list price.

Shopping around / going through a broker can give discounts on most makes & models and not just manufacturers making headlines out of "business as usual"

I looked at the PCP charges, last week, for a pre-reg S60 Volvo T5 Inscription plus - prices varied from £25K TO £29K, (list around £40K could be £45K depending on extras factory fitted) some offered £3,500 PCP contribution, some had a better windscreen price, some were charging North of 10% APR, the best was 1.7%. The best, without actually phoning anybody was £27K, £3,500 dep contribution & 1.7% APR.

The best cash was £23,995 but I am sure that a "discussion" could sharpen their pencil - now gone.

TFL Scrappage scheme question - gordonbennet

Free money for people already on benefits?

Is there an election in the offing?

TFL Scrappage scheme question - Engineer Andy

There is for mayor (delayed until 2021).

Scrappage schemes are mostly a waste in my view, as manufacturers participating just raise prices or drop offers.

They only way this could work here is if the car he buys (any one, new or second hand) is compliant with the ULEZ requirements, which I believe are still EU4 for petrols and 6 for diesels. My 15 Mazda3 is and EU4-compliant car (1.6 petrol), so some cheapo bangers could be had if the scheme allows that. I would be surprised (and pleasantly) if it did.

The problem is that the goalposts are likely to be moved within 5 years, so maybe a EU5 petrol might do, to be on the safe side, perhaps a supermini to reduce the price. Not as though most people living in London need a big car for the most part.

Scrappage schemes are mostly a waste in my view, as manufacturers participating just raise prices or drop offers.

They only way this could work here is if the car he buys (any one, new or second hand) is compliant with the ULEZ requirements, which I believe are still EU4 for petrols and 6 for diesels. My 15 Mazda3 is and EU4-compliant car (1.6 petrol), so some cheapo bangers could be had if the scheme allows that. I would be surprised (and pleasantly) if it did.

As far as can be ascertained this is a 'true' scrappage scheme. The reward is for scrapping a non ULEZ compliant vehicle that has been in the ownership of the applicant for at least one year.

Excepting perhaps any effect on the local market in one or all of the London Boroughs it's not going to raise prices or lead to dropping of offers. There's no requirement to use the grant towards any car so I'm not sure the other paragraph quoted above adds up.

The goalposts are almost bound to move at some point as EU5 is less polluting, at the local level, than EU4.

TFL Scrappage scheme question - Andrew-T

<< Scrappage schemes are mostly a waste in my view, as manufacturers participating just raise prices or drop offers. >>

They are certainly a waste in environmental terms. The last round, about 2008, saw thousands of perfectly decent vehicles trashed, just to keep the factories turning out new ones. Criminal.

TFL Scrappage scheme question - alan1302

It's not free money really though - it's got to be spent on a car that is suitable so more like a discounted car voucher.

It's not free money really though - it's got to be spent on a car that is suitable so more like a discounted car voucher.

Is there anything on the TfL site to say it has to be spent on a car?

I could not see such a condition when I looked. The mention of it affecting means tested benefits also suggests cash.

TFL Scrappage scheme question - alan1302

Is there anything on the TfL site to say it has to be spent on a car?

I could not see such a condition when I looked. The mention of it affecting means tested benefits also suggests cash.

No, you are right - had a proper read through...even if you buy a car it does not need to meet the new standard either...all a bit odd...think Gordon may be right about some upcoming elections!

No, you are right - had a proper read through...even if you buy a car it does not need to meet the new standard either...all a bit odd...think Gordon may be right about some upcoming elections!

The condition is that a car belonging to the claimant, who must reside in a London Borough (or the City), which he has owned for a defined period and is not ULEZ compliant must be scrapped. However you look at it that is one less non ULEZ car. Bearing in mind petrol cars post c2005 are ULEZ compliant £2000 gives some scope. I suspect that buying a secondhand non ULEZ compliant banger and, after keeping it for a time applying again would not succeed.

I'd also point out that not all of the Benefits needed to qualify are means tested. None of PIP, DLA or Attendance Allowance are and Employment and Support Allowance can be paid for many years based solely on NI Contributions.