VW Transporter T30 TDI 140 DSG (13 Reg) - Its August - So here is a (real) silly story - PeteThePen

At the time of renewal of my insurance I noticed in the Statement of Facts (yes I read the small print) that the vehicle valuation was shown at £33k which is what it cost including the adaptations back in 2013. I raised this with the insurers and suggested that they might like to use a more realistic figure. They said OK, give us one.

Being an OAP with no knowledge of the motor trade I was a bit stumped. The insurers then said we have this scheme. Its called Agreed Value. You send us all the details of the vehicle, current photos, etc. and we will agree a value. The fee was a bit steep, but I thought a more realistic valuation might lead to somewhat lower premiums in the future.

Thus the car was cleaned, serviced and MOT'd and photographed and then the form was filled in. One box was labelled 'Current Value'. Given that the whole exercise was to determine this I entered 'Not known'. The form was then sent off.

In due course a letter came back which said 'We cannot give you an Agreed Value as you have not told us the current value of the vehicle. Surprised, I rang the insurers and asked if this was a Friday Wind Up. The gent on the phone was sympathetic, but said we had to submit a number to them. So, I said 'OK tell them £30k since they are going to presumably be working down from that.' The gent then agreed to send off the figure.

Today I have had an email with my 'Agreed Valuation'. It seems these experts in the vehicle insurance industry have laboured most mightily and come up with a 'mouse'. The value? £30K.

I have this niggling feeling that I have been taken for a ride....

Pete

VW Transporter T30 TDI 140 DSG (13 Reg) - Its August - So here is a (real) silly story - catsdad

Pete, standard insurance will only cover you for the car’s market value at the time of claim. It sounds to me as if you have arranged a different sort of policy known as Agreed Value.

How this works is that if a standard version of your car is worth, say £20k, that’s the max they will pay out for total loss. If however it’s agreed with the insurer that yours is worth £30k because of, for example, outstanding condition or extras then you can cover it for that amount. It’s likely to cost you more in premiums as you are covered for a higher amount. It sounds to me as if your insurer has agreed your car is worth more and has insured and charged you accordingly.

There is a wealth of info online if you Google “agreed value insurance”.

VW Transporter T30 TDI 140 DSG (13 Reg) - Its August - So here is a (real) silly story - Will deBeast

Yes, you seem to have moved from traditional 'market value' insurance to 'agreed value' insurance. Lots of owners of classic cars have it.

I'm surprised you haven't been asked for an owners club valuation to support the value, but maybe they don't need it below a certain level.

I may well move to agreed value for my mx-5 when it hits ten years old (next year).

VW Transporter T30 TDI 140 DSG (13 Reg) - Its August - So here is a (real) silly story - edlithgow

You tried to get them to think. They have computers for that.

If you persist you are likely to annoy them and it will end up costing you money.

Example : In The Yook 20 plus years ago, I was collecting quotes for Maestro vans. Diesels always cost significantly more to insure 3PFT than petrol models of higher horsepower, probably because the cubic capacity was higher.

I tried to get them to think about that, and the best they could do was higher repair costs, though they couldnt explain why this was relevent on a 3PFT policy.

VW Transporter T30 TDI 140 DSG (13 Reg) - Its August - So here is a (real) silly story - John F

Diesels always cost significantly more to insure 3PFT than petrol models of higher horsepower, probably because the cubic capacity was higher.

I tried to get them to think about that, and the best they could do was higher repair costs, though they couldnt explain why this was relevent on a 3PFT policy.

I think......diesels are more likely to be bought by high mileage drivers, and by firms employing young drivers. More miles + young drivers = more accidents = more claims. QED.